Forums

Help › Forums

Why dont people play skins games?

rated by 0 users
Mon, Jun 18 2012 6:59 AM (4 replies)
  • ChristaBorg
    7 Posts
    Sun, Jun 17 2012 9:33 PM

I'm pretty new to playing for credits, but from my small experiences so far it seems the only real way to "beat the rake" of WGT is to allow WGT to take the fewest amount of credits possible for a game.

So for match play games if you wager 199, you'll wager 180+19 (as opposed to 200 which would be 180+20, same bet but bigger wager)

So I wanted to look around and see what games have the lowest "rake".  At their very best, match play games have 10.55% rake (19/180).  RGs have a flat 20% rate (100c games rake 20c/player).  And skins games, if you do them correctly, seem to have the best rake.  The lowest % I could find for a skins game is betting 49c/hole in an 18hole game for 882c wagered with a 30c fee (a whopping 3.4%).  But now the problem is nobody seems to ever play skins, I cant find a game!

I know the big problem with skins games right now is there's no playoff to find out who wins the skins that were left over after the 18th hole push... so for example if you tied every hole from the 10th to the 18th you're really only wagering (49*9) 441c at a rake of 30c, for a % of 6.8%... still well below the next best option of Match Plays.

So, why dont people play skins games?

• MioKontic
    4,644 Posts
    Mon, Jun 18 2012 4:23 AM

A 4-player 9-hole skins game would take in the region of about 1.5-2 hours.  And with all the disconnections people have complained about, maybe they have lost interest in that form of game.  I've tried a couple of times getting into a skins game, but the invitor won't start the game until there's 4 players, and it was near impossible to get.  So I've never actually managed to play one myself, and now I don't even bother.

Plus, would need to check out 3 players profiles to make sure they're not sandbaggers; find one and you leave yourself!

Quite simply, it doesn't seem to be worth the hassle.

• Lmorgan007
    408 Posts
    Mon, Jun 18 2012 5:35 AM

MioKontic:

A 4-player 9-hole skins game would take in the region of about 1.5-2 hours.  And with all the disconnections people have complained about, maybe they have lost interest in that form of game.  I've tried a couple of times getting into a skins game, but the invitor won't start the game until there's 4 players, and it was near impossible to get.  So I've never actually managed to play one myself, and now I don't even bother.

Plus, would need to check out 3 players profiles to make sure they're not sandbaggers; find one and you leave yourself!

Quite simply, it doesn't seem to be worth the hassle.

Quite!  On the rare ocassions that I play skins, I only accept games with a 30 or 45 sec timer.  60/90 sec just takes way too long especially when people use up every last second planning their shot (I can almost hear the rustling of pages as people check yardage notebooks etc).  For me 30 sec is ample time to play a shot unless you're chatting with other players (okay somtimes I use the full 30 sec up if I have a shot between clubs); but then I'm probably guilty of being a bit slap-dash - relying on feel and instinct and not notes.

• chris5214
    1,937 Posts
    Mon, Jun 18 2012 5:50 AM

if u like longer clock timer, like 60sec, as is do, create a game for 3 players & be tier specific .. that usually works for me

• ChristaBorg
    7 Posts
    Mon, Jun 18 2012 6:59 AM

I went to bed last night and completely forgot about Blitz games too.  They take a flat 5c fee, and you can wager up to 200c, so the rake % at its lowest is actually 2.56%, which is below even skins.

I dont like blitz though, people seem to have solved the game and just camp out, only playing the course they have studied and are best at.

I understand skins games take longer... I personally do 45sec timers and start at 2-3 players (4 players has too many pushes, you can go a whole round without anyone getting anything) .  I guess the d/c issue could be a big one.

TY for the responses.

RSS