Forums

Help › Forums

Blah

rated by 0 users
Tue, Jun 26 2012 6:42 AM (7 replies)
  • Timbo1984
    818 Posts
    Tue, Jun 26 2012 2:01 AM

What exactly is the point of places like Oakmont and Olympic? Even some of the links courses in England...

I know WGT is just making them as they are, and they making the Major courses as they are played each year.

But seriously...What is fun about playing near impossible courses. I know there are about 200 people on here who can and they shoot well...But the other couple million users? So it's almost as if all the money on building these courses, real or virtual is for the benefit of the elite few...once again making golf an inaccessible game for the "average" person. If you have the money, you don't have the skills. If you don't have the money then you simply can't play. Golf is supposed to be fun...grinding out a +1 is not fun man.

Par: An amount or level considered to be average; a standard: performing up to...

I would love to see some of the big wigs at the R&A shoot par on some of the courses they setup for the majors each year. "Average"..."Standard"...Pfft.

Just because it measures a certain distance does not simply mean that a hole should average a certain amount of strokes in order to get there in "par". If you make it long...Sure that's a test, but making it long, crammed full of obstacles, fast enough for a 747 to take off from the greens at about 5 meters of run way and has more slopes than K2, how is that fair to the definition of the word "par"?

Yes golf should also test players...But when does testing them fall into the realms of the ridiculous? When 99% of the field fall below par on a Sunday after 4 rounds? Even for the viewer it can be a bit painful if not laborious. I don't like watching the worlds best missing from 4 feet, or having a slightly off tee shot end up in a triple bogey.

Ok I'm just carrying on like a cry baby, I'll regret posting this later after I've calmed down, because this is the greatest sport there is, no doubt.

Just the ramblings of an aggravated "average" player. (virtual and real life)

• MBaggese
    15,367 Posts
    Tue, Jun 26 2012 2:25 AM

Timbo1984:
    Par: An amount or level considered to be average; a standard: performing up to...

So true.

But consider if all scores were raised by ten...would you be affected at all?

Or would you complain that you shoot 79 and 69 is unreal?

Just asking:)

• Timbo1984
    818 Posts
    Tue, Jun 26 2012 2:45 AM

lol Kinda calmed down a bit from my original rant...Guess I was just trying to justify the increasing difficulty of golf courses world wide, especially the top flight ones that the Majors are set on. 

My own game I can deal with being punished for a bad shot here and there. But if you're playing the best you can possibly play and you're actually a very decent player and you are only shooting about par...How is that "average or standard" you know.

It's like distance is the only factor taken into consideration when determining what the par is for a particular hole. When I play in real life and I hit a 300 meter drive which I'm starting to do more consistently nowadays, and I then 3 putt, I consider that my very handsome drive no longer exists, a putt missed from 3 feet is the same as a 150 drive and 150 approach shot rather than a 300 meter drive. It just seems that something like greens and the difficulty of them should also factor into how par is determined for a hole. It's a sneaky way of saying "well its only 400 meters, you should be in the hole in 4 shots", but then its like the green has been shelled and holes dug and a nice pretty green petty coat put over it to hide the fact that green is actually robbing you of a stroke on most occasions.

Like I said...Just moaning and groaning here. lol

And also, I'm referring more to real life golf than WGT, it's starting to become ridiculous what the worlds best players have to deal with at some of these majors.

Why can't a course be setup in such a manner where you need that extra risk for the birdie to go in if you want to win, rather than an extremely difficult and demanding "par" being the order of the day for a major champion to be crowned.

What's wrong with birdie courses??

• MBaggese
    15,367 Posts
    Tue, Jun 26 2012 3:32 AM

Timbo1984:
    What's wrong with birdie courses??

I hear ya man....but...and I hope a few others follow along  from the "give me more courses" crowd

As I understand it WGT follows the Major  Golf Tourneys. That why we play in the conditions we have.  Set up like US Opens....no free ride to a sub par round here my man!

• Timmytoastman
    567 Posts
    Tue, Jun 26 2012 3:41 AM

Tim,

I was going to agree with you, But thought back to the days when I was playing TW on the playstation & shooting 53 under for an 72 hole tourny. That type of play really did'nt take me too long to master and I bored of it quickly. Personally I enjoy the challenge! I'm hoping I don't get bored with wgt and I'm pretty sure thats the way they want it! lol

Tim

• Timbo1984
    818 Posts
    Tue, Jun 26 2012 5:06 AM

Yeah of course. I totally agree with everything going on here at WGT, real courses playing the way they really play, they do an awesome job on this site to ensure that. They can't say ok, we're going to make courses that the majors are being played on and then make it slightly easier than would be in real life, they wouldn't be keeping true the course itself.

I agree with Timmy too, with boredom being a factor with games, and so on. I'm more taking a bit of a poke at the real golfing scene, and the trend of creating or manipulating existing courses into playing way tougher than I personally feel is warranted. Then dressing the very very tough courses up rather nicely so they look pretty. Just because a course is beautiful, doesn't in my own opinion mean that it is a fair playing one. 

• alosso
    21,059 Posts
    Tue, Jun 26 2012 5:13 AM

Me thinks it's big fun to play the difficult course settings (they sure are easier from front tees) and hack my way around. @OLY, we're obliged to play course management, and at some holes of the other courses, too.

I don't worry if I play Par or below, it's a game and I play it for fun!

• Yappy22
    733 Posts
    Tue, Jun 26 2012 6:42 AM

I sure ass hell wouldn't be here if it wasn't fun and a challenge. Plus the forums for the most part are fun to read.

RSS