Forums

Help › Forums

New course in progress

Fri, May 14 2010 11:59 AM (15 replies)
  • PAGES
  • Richard4168
    4,309 Posts
    Wed, May 5 2010 10:34 AM

MisterWGT has showed-up for the new update and has news (visit his profile). I wonder what course WGT is currently photographing, anyone care to guess?

• Doublemochaman
    2,009 Posts
    Wed, May 5 2010 2:34 PM

Okay, this is great news.  We already know that Oakmont was photographed  last Autumn.  And all of St. Andrews is already photographed.  Hmmm... that must leave that silly little seaside course just south of the WGT offices on the Monterrey Peninsula.  Seems the USGA might have demanded that it be included for their upcoming major.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, May 5 2010 2:57 PM

I'm betting it's more Oakmont. They have the base and he's back getting the finer views. Something like that. He managed to spin SA into a couple of trips over there, opportunist that he is.  ;-)

• Richard4168
    4,309 Posts
    Wed, May 5 2010 3:13 PM

Could that be possible DMM? The men and women's 2010 U.S. Open courses, ready for stroke play, in June? That would blow everyone away. But, I think Jim might be right.

• ChristopherRouss
    133 Posts
    Thu, May 6 2010 1:07 PM

If they are photographing a new course it would have to be something other than Oakmont or SA by my estimation.  First, if they didn't have all the photos they needed for Oakmont or SA they wouldn't have agreed to release them for the USGA and the Open Championships which will start in less than 4 weeks.  I feel quite confident they already have the courses ready to go minus a few bugs and final tweaks that they are working on.  Perhaps it would be Pebble Beach, or perhaps they are going to go and finish some of the CTTH courses so we can have those for Stroke Play.  Bali and Wolf Creek are challenging on the CTTH, and they already have a start on those.  Another nice one would be Pinehurst, but enough speculation....  I'm glad he's working on another course for us!. 

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Thu, May 6 2010 1:36 PM

ChristopherRouss:
    I feel quite confident they already have the courses ready to go minus a few bugs and final tweaks that they are working on.

Like the few missing pictures from various locations.

• Hackmore
    41 Posts
    Thu, May 6 2010 2:34 PM

I would like to know, if they have enough photos for you to play closest to the hole tourneys then why can't you do strokeplay?

• WGTniv
    1,788 Posts
    Thu, May 6 2010 3:22 PM

Hi Hackmore,

The CTTH games often only use a handful of photos on each challenge and some challenges are set on the same hole.  The numbers can be as low as 10 to 20 photos since multiple angles aren't neccessary.

Stroke play courses usually are upwards of 100,000 photos or more and are significantly more time consuming to shoot and put together since every playable inch from tee to green must be covered.

• Richard4168
    4,309 Posts
    Thu, May 6 2010 5:10 PM

WGTniv:
    Stroke play courses usually are upwards of 100,000 photos or more and are significantly more time consuming to shoot and put together since every playable inch from tee to green must be covered.

That's some interesting stuff. WGT should be on that show, "How stuff is made".

• Doublemochaman
    2,009 Posts
    Thu, May 6 2010 5:26 PM

Good point Richard.  Or maybe they should be a challenge on Mythbusters.  Myth = It should only take a week or so to photograph and develop a new HD golf course.  Jamie could use his cell phone to photograph a golf course and Adam could tweak them on his laptop.

• PAGES
RSS