Forums

Help › Forums

How to move up in tiers?

rated by 0 users
Mon, Jul 16 2012 11:41 AM (3 replies)
  • rzman
    166 Posts
    Mon, Jul 16 2012 4:11 AM

Does anyone know the system WGT uses to move players up in tiers?

I've noticed players at higher levels and better averages than me at lower tiers and player at lower levels with higher averages at higher tiers.  

Doesn't seem to make any sense.

There must be something to the process WGT uses.

• srellim234
    2,077 Posts
    Mon, Jul 16 2012 10:49 AM

Short answer

levels based on quantity of play or # of level ups purchased in the pro shop.

tiers based on quality of play (low scores posted)

Others are able to fill in the the specific details for you. I don't know them.

• piztaker
    5,743 Posts
    Mon, Jul 16 2012 11:35 AM

When you reach a 67 average you'll move up to the Master tier.

• alosso
    21,060 Posts
    Mon, Jul 16 2012 11:41 AM

rzman:

Does anyone know the system WGT uses to move players up in tiers?

I've noticed players at higher levels and better averages than me at lower tiers and player at lower levels with higher averages at higher tiers.  

Doesn't seem to make any sense.

As said before, levels and tiers are independent, and averages are, too, to a certain extent.

The main information missing to you may be that averages are reset at the start of each tier. Also, only a certain no. of your best ranked strokeplay scores in one tier is used for the calculation, this no. being the minimum rounds neccessary to play in this tier.

Needless to say that the conditions of play get more difficult at each tier-up: Longer holes or faster greens. Thus, a player new in one tier may struggle and have a considerably higher average than before, when all his bad rounds were out of the calculation. Or, a player with only a few very good rounds hasn't played the minimum number neccessary yet - he shows a very low average. This may be the case for players who voluntarily or unknowingly do not play many ranked strokeplay rounds.

RSS