Forums

Help › Forums

want new iron set

Thu, Jul 19 2012 4:19 PM (25 replies)
  • alcaucin
    9,041 Posts
    Mon, Jul 16 2012 4:45 PM

vcoach:
    saving credits for new iron set. with old set no chance of stopping/slowing ball hitting into green and i am getting tired of 30 foot puts! lol. any suggestions on a set?
    Hold out for L69 Rokballz..then get L79 burners ( set u up meter speed wise 4 R11 irons ) the pings imo will leave you lacking later on..Andy. ps still got the L69s for a easy 7 under on St As..

• alosso
    21,060 Posts
    Mon, Jul 16 2012 9:37 PM

BubbaCrusher007:

alosso:

FWIW, the Callies eat credits at a rate four times higher than the SDs:

Cally Tour i(z) 5.7 rounds/ball, 5.71 rounds/$

Cally Tour i(s) 5.7 rds/ball, 6.86 rds/$

WGT Tour-SD 5.2 rds/ball, 24 rds/$

(from a table published in this forum)

I was expressing my opinion to the original poster. Excuse me if I don't understand, how a ball with a dot 1/2 of durability, has more rounds than a a ball with 2 & 1/2 dots of durability. He gets more bang for his buck because the balls are around a buck?

He may save money playin some 'SD', but personally I think those balls suck. imho thanks

I understood you well, B.

The Callies will stand longer, 120 shots vs. 110. Not much for 2 dots difference. Alas, due to the price difference, the costs are 4x higher than with the SDs. These have more rounds per $, i.e. lower cost per round.

I won't argue that the Cally is the better ball, but the OP stated that he has little money to spend and he wants new clubs at some time. In this situation, the SDs are rather inexpensive yet better than the Starters. Wouldn't you agree?

• BubbaCrusher007
    1,567 Posts
    Mon, Jul 16 2012 9:51 PM

alosso:

BubbaCrusher007:

alosso:

FWIW, the Callies eat credits at a rate four times higher than the SDs:

Cally Tour i(z) 5.7 rounds/ball, 5.71 rounds/$

Cally Tour i(s) 5.7 rds/ball, 6.86 rds/$

WGT Tour-SD 5.2 rds/ball, 24 rds/$

(from a table published in this forum)

I was expressing my opinion to the original poster. Excuse me if I don't understand, how a ball with a dot 1/2 of durability, has more rounds than a a ball with 2 & 1/2 dots of durability. He gets more bang for his buck because the balls are around a buck?

He may save money playin some 'SD', but personally I think those balls suck. imho thanks

I understood you well, B.

The Callies will stand longer, 120 shots vs. 110. Not much for 2 dots difference. Alas, due to the price difference, the costs are 4x higher than with the SDs. These have more rounds per $, i.e. lower cost per round.

I won't argue that the Cally is the better ball, but the OP stated that he has little money to spend and he wants new clubs at some time. In this situation, the SDs are rather inexpensive yet better than the Starters. Wouldn't you agree?

I agree. From a cost stand-point i agree the SD ball can save money. I actually scored good with the SD. I just can't get a ball with that little distance to get up good enough to use a short wedge.

I think that Srixon 180 credit ball isn't bad ether & is maybe the next best value. Srixon has like 2 dots of spin? idk.

I appreciate the stats & balls life studies, I just think I need at least a few dots of distance to get in & score & have any fun spinning it. That's what the OP asked I believe :).  How can he get it to spin & again,,I think the starter irons will have a hard time spinning any ball BS anyways. 

For some reason I can get the Callys to spin more than the Nike & 250 credits aint bad for a long life ball.

• alosso
    21,060 Posts
    Mon, Jul 16 2012 10:12 PM

Ty for sharing your experience.

Alas, the OP asked for replacement clubs, but he doesn't play Starters. Seeing his Starter balls gave me the idea for my comment on better & budget balls.

• lonniescott711
    4,204 Posts
    Thu, Jul 19 2012 2:46 PM

lonnieskinner:

Coach, I dont know how much you wont to spend but the g 20( set ) is a great deal at lvl 59 for 4995 credits. They will last you a long time, at least to tour master. Also you will get a 270 yard driver with the set that will put you using your wedges alot. Also you can sell everything else back to the pro shop to help with the cost. One more thing you could do that will help your score is to get rid of the hybrid and put in another wedge. The level 51 nike putter is also very good and slow. All these clubs can be used with the starter ball because of the slow swing and putting speed. Have fun.

Don`t forget though, if he is going to upgrade the wedges, he will need to get balls with feel. This will slow the meter back down, because the wedges are going to speed up the meter. So the more dots of feel, the slower the meter.Happy Swinging

• alosso
    21,060 Posts
    Thu, Jul 19 2012 4:19 PM

The wedge meters aren't that fast IMHO. They are playable with the Starter ball and perfectly playable with a simple WGT custom ball which will play a wee bit slower than those.

RSS