Forums

Help › Forums

Tempted to just give up, and go home.

rated by 0 users
Thu, Jul 19 2012 6:54 PM (20 replies)
  • cadwallater
    24 Posts
    Tue, Jul 17 2012 10:17 PM

Lately the frustration of trying to overcome the obvious inability of the computer that drives this game to keep my shots even remotely close to where they're aimed, preferring instead at critical moments to dump me in the weeds, is beginning to outweigh the pleasure of playing this game.    Really about at the tipping point here.   Again, and again, and again, erratic shots spoil round after round.    Sometimes there is no way to even GUESS where the computer is going to dump your next shot.   You adjust for a strong left to right wind, in order to avoid the right rough, and guess where it goes.... the LEFT rough.    You reach the same hole on the next round, and make the same adjustment, for the same wind direction and speed, and the ball goes the OTHER WAY.   Never plays the same way twice.  Not even close.  This is the equivalent of having a snotty kid hiding halfway down the fairway, waiting to run out and grab your ball so he can fling it into the weeds,  while you stand cursing on the tee.   I've complained about this often enough, over a period of months, that I'm confident writing this memo is about as useless as hoping my shots will end up on target.    Guess I should just shut up about it.    Sometimes, far too seldom, when the computer behaves and puts your ball where you strike it, I can finish a round in two or three over par, about my best game.   Then it's a pleasure to play.   Which makes the other problem so DAMNED frustrating.    Pardon me while I figuratively bend my club around the nearest tree.   I'm headed to the clubhouse.   I need a drink.  

• alosso
    21,060 Posts
    Wed, Jul 18 2012 9:02 AM

Cheers!

When you come back, go to your inventory on the game screen/client and exchange all those SWING clubs by the proper Starter clubs (without "swing").

These SWING are very inconsistent and only meant for all new rookies. Learn the swing with the meter, it will be a pleasure!

Congrats that you made Pro under these circumstances!

While we're at it, some more proposals.

There is a "Starter Plus" set in the Pro Shop (99 cr) which reduces the swing speed compared to the Starter clubs. OTOH, it's not bad to get used to a fast meter.

As an alternative, you might buy the Pro Driver (200 cr) to enhance your game.

You might consider to buy better wedges, those Starter (Plus) wedges suck mightily. Take the Pings or a better brand, they add to the fun.

• TWOMINUSONE
    2,580 Posts
    Wed, Jul 18 2012 9:17 AM

Agreed with the above post. Using the EZ swing clubs is like kicking a beachball into the wind, you just dont know which way it will go. Change the clubs in the inventory area as has been mentioned, and this will make your game so much better.

• WGTicon
    12,511 Posts
    Wed, Jul 18 2012 9:36 AM

cadwallater:

Lately the frustration of trying to overcome the obvious inability of the computer that drives this game to keep my shots even remotely close to where they're aimed, preferring instead at critical moments to dump me in the weeds, is beginning to outweigh the pleasure of playing this game.    Really about at the tipping point here.   Again, and again, and again, erratic shots spoil round after round.    Sometimes there is no way to even GUESS where the computer is going to dump your next shot.   You adjust for a strong left to right wind, in order to avoid the right rough, and guess where it goes.... the LEFT rough.    You reach the same hole on the next round, and make the same adjustment, for the same wind direction and speed, and the ball goes the OTHER WAY.   Never plays the same way twice.  Not even close.  This is the equivalent of having a snotty kid hiding halfway down the fairway, waiting to run out and grab your ball so he can fling it into the weeds,  while you stand cursing on the tee.   I've complained about this often enough, over a period of months, that I'm confident writing this memo is about as useless as hoping my shots will end up on target.    Guess I should just shut up about it.    Sometimes, far too seldom, when the computer behaves and puts your ball where you strike it, I can finish a round in two or three over par, about my best game.   Then it's a pleasure to play.   Which makes the other problem so DAMNED frustrating.    Pardon me while I figuratively bend my club around the nearest tree.   I'm headed to the clubhouse.   I need a drink.  

Hi:)

when you are back., switch to the other set of clubs in your bag and you will find much more consistency. 

Once you get the hang of them, it maybe worth upgrading for clubs from pro shop, which will allow you to have much more consistency and much lower scores.

-wgticon

• lonniescott711
    4,204 Posts
    Wed, Jul 18 2012 10:38 AM

Pro-level 91, 72avg. You mean to tell me that you have been playing for over a year, and you haven`t bought any clubs to upgrade nor figured out that you have 2 sets of clubs to play with? And as a member of W.G.T. Nation, you dont meet the Legend requirements to be a member, so how did this happen? C`mon man, boy you`re looking for an all day sucker.Sorry , if I am wrong which I dont think that I am. But I can`t throw you a pity party, because for some strange reason I smell a rat. PLAYERS BEWARE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• alosso
    21,060 Posts
    Wed, Jul 18 2012 11:29 AM

What are you complaining about, Lonnie?

This guy has many a ranked rounds under his belt. The further stats support his statements:

longest drive of 286, 7 eagles, 170 flagsticks and 333 yips!

No friends, not a single match play or blitz.

There are other ways to become a Nation member, level 90 is one of them.

He may have left out some opportunities of this site, but hey, who are we to judge him?

• renniw52
    5,385 Posts
    Wed, Jul 18 2012 11:50 AM

I don't smell a rat at all, I see a player who has faced a hell of a challenge with what he is using. New clubs, a little practice, and this guy will be a legend in no time. Hell he has more ranked rounds than I do, that's a lot of time on WGT.

• DAD111
    582 Posts
    Wed, Jul 18 2012 12:33 PM

renniw52:

I don't smell a rat at all, I see a player who has faced a hell of a challenge with what he is using. New clubs, a little practice, and this guy will be a legend in no time. Hell he has more ranked rounds than I do, that's a lot of time on WGT.

I have to agree with the above ^.  cadwallater has shown he's certainly no quitter and with the advice alosso gave, he should enjoy the game much more.

I didn't start playing on here till January this year though I joined way back and I'm still finding my way around here. I'm not a good player (see my stats....lol) but I enjoy this game and can sympathise with cadwallater frustration.

To reach that level using those clubs is mind boggling and not a bad average considering.

I just broke 70 recently and nearly held a party.........lol... and I'm still Tour pro at level 83.

cadwallater......I hope you can acquire some new clubs and I'm sure you will progress quickly. Most of all, your shots should land where you meant them to. I wish you well and if I can help in any way......just contact me......

Happy hitting.......

Bob.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, Jul 18 2012 1:35 PM

91 levels with EZ Swing clubs??!! That's astounding. I wonder why.

• cadwallater
    24 Posts
    Wed, Jul 18 2012 3:00 PM

Thanks very much to alosso for his advice, and to other members who responded with positive suggestions, and supportive comments.    Much appreciated.    Seems the problem is in my clubs, which I kinda guessed, but have so far steadfastly resisted the temptation to "purchase" new equipment, although I know that an improved game is the incentive there.   With the exception of one derisive,  rude comment about a "pity party", everyone understood that I was simply asking for advice, and for those who gave it, thank you very much.   I'll give those new clubs a try.    Really do enjoy the game.  

RSS