Forums

Help › Forums

Equipment upgrades for newbie?

Tue, Jul 31 2012 12:07 PM (21 replies)
  • Firenzo
    545 Posts
    Tue, Jul 24 2012 8:07 PM

I just started playing this game last week and am already hooked. What upgrades do you experienced players recommend first? I have already  bought the Taylor Made Spider Putter and after 1 round (St. George's) I'm loving it. I'm limited to what I can buy, as I'm just a pensioner and have to get all my equipment from taking surveys.  Should I join a CC?  

• jeffdos924
    1,085 Posts
    Wed, Jul 25 2012 8:32 AM

Driver --- something in the 250yrd range will last a long time.

Wedges ... a couple of better wedges will easily drop a couple of strokes. I'm not sure about the ATV's, but I'm guessing they would be perfect since they replace the Z-satins that I used forever and lots of peeps used the Pings.

• SHRUDE
    5,835 Posts
    Wed, Jul 25 2012 8:49 PM

I agree with Jeff.

Driver 1st , then Wedges.

The best you can afford or wait a level or two.

The Ping wedges are fine and only 110 creds each.

Then consider a ball with 'feel', Feels slows yur meter down.

WGT GI2 or even better GI3 balls

GI = Game Improvement.

There are spin balls and distance balls.

Spin will help you control the ball when it lands.

unfortunately the extra distance a Distance ball gives you isn't reflected in  the caddy for the club. This is why i preffered Spin balls when i came up the ranks, less to have to worry about to have to calculate estimated extra distance too.

Then consider Irons, then Putter, then your fairway woods.

• DiegoBeneIII
    9 Posts
    Sat, Jul 28 2012 2:34 PM

Hi Firenzo,

I can't say really say about joining a CC, as I'm still trying to work that one out for myself :)

I think you've made an excellent choice with the inexpensive but very effective Pro driver - plenty of length and at this stage you will definitely progress through levels and probably tiers very quickly. Will also be good to get used to faster meter speeds - they're really not that scary once you get used to them.

Once you get used to it, forgiveness becomes much less relevant and if you're playing for the long term then all the higher level clubs are more precise and less forgiving, with higher meter speeds, so getting used to that will only help you in the long run.

Important to play within your budget, so I'd also suggest aiming for the pro irons which I've found to be very good for the price. I'd also highly recommend a couple of the Ping Tour-W wedges at 200 credits each once you hit Level 41, just around the corner for you.

With limited budget, I wouldn't even bother  buying balls until either you stop improving and progressing through the tiers or get new clubs that really will benefit from extra spin, distance and feel. Also by getting used to higher meter speed of the free "rocks", you leave yourself some extra room for improvement later as the game gets harder, when the extra feel of the balls will be handy with the high level clubs with faster meters.

Much better to buy some cheap and effective wedges as the short game helps so much and it's very possible to progress through the tiers using the free balls. Not as easy but if you enjoy the game and have the time then you get to spend time practicing your skills and increasing your level so the purchases you do make are not obsolete so quickly.

Save as many credits as you can for as long as you can. Treat every purchase as disposable until level 59 - maybe aim for the very nice G20 full set which should take you a very long way. 

Having said that, one club I am very glad I splurged on early is the TaylorMade R11 3 Wood (L30+) for 395 credits. Effective from both tee and airway it has good length, excellent forgiveness and could well still be in your bag until for many level and tiers to come.

Hope this helps and happy golfing!

Cheers, Chris

• lwilliamson
    19 Posts
    Sat, Jul 28 2012 5:00 PM

driver, iron and wedges are key to a good golf game

• Firenzo
    545 Posts
    Sat, Jul 28 2012 6:05 PM

Now, I'm really in trouble. I just made pro and have been moved back to the next tee box. I think I should stop playing for a couple of weeks to build up a LOT of credits (but it's so d*@ned addictive}. Much superior to the Tiger Woods game in many respects. The only thing I can think of that I like in the Tiger Woods game is it allows you  to move forward or back in your stance to increase/decrease loft and distance.

I would like to thank all of you people for your excellent advice. See you on the links.    

• rjs1969
    196 Posts
    Sat, Jul 28 2012 8:34 PM

Hey buddy.  This idea will seem a bit off.  In the long run, it is the BEST VALUE FOR YOUR PENSIONER status. Purchase the Rocketballz level 69  3W.  It averages 240 yards hitting distance (that is off the fairway.) The beauty of this idea. The 3w also will double as a driver.  Sure, you can buy just a driver, knock your tee shot 250 yards. What happens when you have another 250 to go and all you have is the 205 yard 3 wood in your bag. That MIGHT shoot 190 yards. There are plenty of LONG PAR 5's on WGT.     

Food for thought

• mantis0014
    8,946 Posts
    Sat, Jul 28 2012 8:49 PM

Driver First...

the closer to the green the better. When you first start the Driver in the bag is way too short for some of the Courses we have.

After getting my first driver (the Rapture) then I got a putter (the Rossa) which I still use.

Now saying that, I would say learn to play the game with the clubs you have now.... as in, Learn the basics.  Once you have learnt the Basics of the game, then start getting better clubs, because if you don't know the basics of how to play shots... you can get any club/s (which you are allowed to get) and still be frustrated when shooting bad scores.

-Roger

• BubbaCrusher007
    1,567 Posts
    Sat, Jul 28 2012 10:03 PM

I'll tell you what, that Spider putter was the best choice that you ever made for a putter & your first club. I still use that putter and I like it the best out of any of them.  

I make real good credits with the ads and surveys, just keep trying to get the free credits and they will come, I always get like a 2000 credits a week from surveys, I just check them every day or so & I end up getting enough for the equipment to play.

The full set of clubs is a good deal if you can manage to save the credits. Good luck & good hitting.

• FamousBeef
    271 Posts
    Sat, Jul 28 2012 11:30 PM

get the level 32 R11's full set.these will last you well into master

the 110 credit wedges also

RSS