New Guy

rated by 0 users
Thu, Jun 10 2010 10:54 AM (15 replies)
  • PAGES
  • PeterHopper
    1,315 Posts
    Wed, Jun 9 2010 9:21 PM

You're not wrong.

No 2 at St Andrews requires a miracle second shot. Sometimes you feel you need to leave it just a little short off the green and take a tiny chip. Put it right or left level with the hole, and you have an angle from hell.

Just a couple of birdies for me.

• smason77
    464 Posts
    Thu, Jun 10 2010 12:43 AM

PeterHopper:

You're not wrong.

No 2 at St Andrews requires a miracle second shot. Sometimes you feel you need to leave it just a little short off the green and take a tiny chip. Put it right or left level with the hole, and you have an angle from hell.

Just a couple of birdies for me.

I wouldn't say that it requires a "miracle". Just a well thought out and careful shot. I've eagled this hole and birdied it several times. Of course for new players with standard clubs and no bite or backspin it's much more difficult. Yet even without backspin if you roll it in with finesse you can still eagle/birdie this hole. No miracle involved.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Thu, Jun 10 2010 7:36 AM

smason77:
    I wouldn't say that it requires a "miracle". Just a well thought out and careful shot.

Good advice. Try moving the aimer to the top of that slope in front of the pin and playing to that. Done correctly your shot will slow down as it crests this slope and trickle down to the hole for an easy birdie.

• neildiamond11790
    1,115 Posts
    Thu, Jun 10 2010 8:09 AM

Tip for St Andy #17, when I am in no shape or wind to try to land it next to the bunker to funnel back to the hole, I have actually tried to land hole high left of the green away from the bunker.  That will give you an uphill chip/pitch/flop shot with as little break as possible.  I have yet to bogey from there or from bunker, but I have bogeyed from the roadside fescue which leaves a tough downhill chip.  Funny, I actually birdied first time playing from 31ft on top of the green with about 4ft of break, aim and wish and it dropped.

• TheZiggy
    550 Posts
    Thu, Jun 10 2010 9:24 AM

neildiamond11790:

Tip for St Andy #17, when I am in no shape or wind to try to land it next to the bunker to funnel back to the hole, I have actually tried to land hole high left of the green away from the bunker.  That will give you an uphill chip/pitch/flop shot with as little break as possible.  I have yet to bogey from there or from bunker, but I have bogeyed from the roadside fescue which leaves a tough downhill chip.  Funny, I actually birdied first time playing from 31ft on top of the green with about 4ft of break, aim and wish and it dropped.

I found a guide on the BBC site about St Andrews, and a little guide about the 17th says that landing to the left of the green pin high is a good option. Oddly the bunker does seem to be a really place to be, as there is enough room to land the ball and roll gently to within a few feet of the hole. I've been playing that shot on the CTTH competition, and have been consistently landing within 4 feet from the bunker, so it seems to be a good option.

• jammerjay31
    124 Posts
    Thu, Jun 10 2010 10:54 AM

Good luck and have fun

• PAGES
RSS