Forums

Help › Forums

COMMUNITY SPOTLIGHT !

Sat, Sep 1 2012 6:11 AM (23 replies)
  • upinsmoketour
    342 Posts
    Tue, Aug 21 2012 6:08 PM

Don,t know about everyone else but personally i,d like to see the community spotlight scrapped. Every now & again i see players that deserve to be there & thats even once in a while. How a hack or tour pro with a low avg deserves to be on there is beyond me, you cant tell if you will go far in this game untill your on the back tees so how the hell does a level 90 hack  make it into the COMMUNITY SPOTLIGHT  ? Why not make new guys say man ill be there 1 day ? what a load a ***. It should be a prime example of really good players that all the rest look at & say man ill be on that spotlight 1 day ! Not ill pray im never on that fkr because then everyone will know im sandbagging like fk ! Just does my *** in man  ! smokey.

• renniw52
    5,385 Posts
    Tue, Aug 21 2012 7:25 PM

I agree smokey. I just laugh at it now, but once in a while they mess up and put a legit name on there. 

• upinsmoketour
    342 Posts
    Wed, Aug 22 2012 2:18 AM

Yeah mate when a legit name pops up then fine i aint got a problem with good honest players in the community spotlight but level 80+ & below master level just makes me laugh ! lol ! smokey.

• Choppography
    2,166 Posts
    Wed, Aug 22 2012 6:27 AM

And, WGT says they can't catch the sandbaggers.  Ha!  They are overtly promoting some.

• DannyPhan
    1,013 Posts
    Wed, Aug 22 2012 8:01 AM

I'm with you Smoke,

They HIGHLIGHT the player and if we mention that player by name we get penalized.

Makes no sense to me at all.

• srellim234
    2,077 Posts
    Wed, Aug 22 2012 7:33 PM

What I find enlightening are the reactions to some of the players spotlighted. There is a player who shows up regularly in the spotlight who joined for a grand total of one day back in November of 2010. He shot one 9-hole round that day, shooting a 31 and is listed as a Hack with a 62 average. In July 2012 he started showing up in the community spotlight even though he's been gone for over a year and a half and only shot 9 holes back then.

His wall started filling up in July 2012 with all kinds of accusers calling him a cheat. Those same accusers troll from profile to profile, making accusations of cheating whenever someone is profiled they don't like. They don't even look to see if the person is around any more, has won anything or even plays stroke play rounds for advancement..

Wgt's operation of the Community Spotlight is a farce. The reactions of the trollers on the walls of those highlighted players show that WGT is just breeding hate and contempt by having such a program.

The Community Spotlight should be scrapped. If WGT insists on continuing it, it should be upgraded to spotlight players with rounds played within the last month. It should also be randomized so the same players don't keep showing up every other day.

• Lmorgan007
    408 Posts
    Thu, Aug 23 2012 4:44 AM

srellim234:

What I find enlightening are the reactions to some of the players spotlighted. There is a player who shows up regularly in the spotlight who joined for a grand total of one day back in November of 2010. He shot one 9-hole round that day, shooting a 31 and is listed as a Hack with a 62 average. In July 2012 he started showing up in the community spotlight even though he's been gone for over a year and a half and only shot 9 holes back then.

His wall started filling up in July 2012 with all kinds of accusers calling him a cheat. Those same accusers troll from profile to profile, making accusations of cheating whenever someone is profiled they don't like. They don't even look to see if the person is around any more, has won anything or even plays stroke play rounds for advancement..

Wgt's operation of the Community Spotlight is a farce. The reactions of the trollers on the walls of those highlighted players show that WGT is just breeding hate and contempt by having such a program.

The Community Spotlight should be scrapped. If WGT insists on continuing it, it should be upgraded to spotlight players with rounds played within the last month. It should also be randomized so the same players don't keep showing up every other day.

Well said!

• WGTpizza
    1,656 Posts
    Thu, Aug 23 2012 2:57 PM

Just popping in to commend the posters thus far.

The discourse in this thread, while it may be criticism, is conveyed in a calm, respectable manner. There's even proper punctuation! That makes me happy.  :)

Keep up the suggestions, folks. We are reading.

Stay classy,

-WGTpizza

• genorb
    1,255 Posts
    Thu, Aug 23 2012 3:17 PM

The "problem" (actually that's not a big deal to me) with the community spotlight is the algorithm used to select players which is based only on averages.

The algorithm selects randomly (or pseudo-randomly because the average could be used to weight the frequency of the appearance, this I don't know) players among those having the lowest average in each tier.

Adding additional variables like activity (when the last ranked round was played or, even better, how often the players are playing ranked rounds) would solve a part of the problem.

Not sure also that hack and amateur should appear in the community spotlight. Indeed, as it is now, players from those tiers that are displayed have averages way below what is needed to be promoted. This means that hack have played less than 5 ranked rounds and amateur have played less than 15 ranked rounds. With so few rounds, not sure they deserve to be highlighted.

Regards

RSS