Forums

Help › Forums

WGT eating my balls

rated by 0 users
Sun, Dec 9 2012 1:30 PM (37 replies)
  • renniw52
    5,385 Posts
    Sat, Dec 8 2012 4:41 AM

The title of this thread is a scary thought for me.

• hpurey
    11,505 Posts
    Sat, Dec 8 2012 5:02 AM

renniw52:

The title of this thread is a scary thought for me.

LOL

• andrewmca
    447 Posts
    Sat, Dec 8 2012 5:37 AM

puttersman:
    Also if you run out of a certain ball during a game, why can't they default to your next best ball, instead of the crappy white ones.

In actual fact you should feel hugely privileged to have the opportunity to use the free balls when you run out... as it is against the rules of golf, a player may only use the exact same type of ball, should a player run out, they are disqualified.

Many people think that finishing your round with the 'free ball' is ripping them off, when they're actually lucky to get the chance to finish the round..

• Oldbayrunner
    1,774 Posts
    Sat, Dec 8 2012 5:44 AM

Rock n All... Do you feel ripped off when you go to your local sporting goods shop or golf shop and pay for whatever balls you buy then go lose them in heavy rough, water etc. on the course. I wonder how many of you then go to the pro shop and tell them how they ripped you off by stealing your balls and you want compensation.

Yes I know the next line about how you can go look for them and hold everyone else up on the course while your scrounging around finding other peoples lost balls and you'd like that option on here.

My point is, some are going to get lost just like in real life golf. If your losing an entire new sleeve etc. right off then there is something you are doing wrong. I sure know when it happens to me 9 times out of 10 it was. Either I was playing the line too close and missed my mark or taking a risk I knew damn well I shouldn't try in the first place.

Rock there are still a lot of players at high tiers playing the starters. There's nothing wrong with that but developing the attitude wgt is ripping you off only serves the purpose of keeping yourself upset and pissed off. If you find that enjoyable game play suit yourself, I play to have fun not be pissed off all the time. Hell last night my partner suffered through a 2 stroke lead I gave away because 3 holes in a row MY timing went to hell and I badly mucked shots. He wasn't upset nor was I it's only a game. We both laughed our butts off, chit happens then the next game is usually better most of the time. That is of course unless it one of those times your sense of timing is all gone to hell and your fighting to get it back. Even then you can usually score decently by aiming differently and playing safer shots. I will say if your a risk player you will Lose more balls. Better and cheaper to play good course management. That is where knowing what your equipment will do plays a big part.

• Rockitch
    1,022 Posts
    Sat, Dec 8 2012 6:14 AM

Oldbayrunner:
    Rock n All... Do you feel ripped off when you go to your local sporting goods shop or golf shop and pay for whatever balls you buy then go lose them in heavy rough, water etc. on the course. I wonder how many of you then go to the pro shop and tell them how they ripped you off by stealing your balls and you want compensation.

If they would wear within a couple of rounds I would ! Wouldn't you ?

Oldbayrunner:
    ...but developing the attitude wgt is ripping you off only serves the purpose of keeping yourself upset and pissed off. If you find that enjoyable game play suit yourself, I play to have fun not be pissed off all the time...

Hold on a sec. As stated before I play for fun as well and to prevent myself from feeling ripped of I play the free ball, so no, I'm surely not upset and pissed off. If they would lower the prices a bit (say about 50%) and completely get rid of that stupid wearing of the balls, I would probably buy balls and they would still make money of all lost balls. How it's now is just too much. Amazed, that's what I am much more than pissed off/upset. Amazed about the fact that so many players just keep buying them balls.

R.

• quatum123
    11 Posts
    Sat, Dec 8 2012 6:28 AM

As i stated before they should give us Better Free Balls to play with . I had 96 of those Doves balls after watching all those Video Adds an loss everyone of them.. At least they had Distance an some spin, The Free balls have Neither.......

• filmslayer
    2,340 Posts
    Sat, Dec 8 2012 6:29 AM

andrewmca:

[

In actual fact you should feel hugely privileged to have the opportunity to use the free balls when you run out... as it is against the rules of golf, a player may only use the exact same type of ball, should a player run out, they are disqualified.

one ball rule pertains to HOLE not ROUND ...

Rules 15-1 and 15-2 explain that the player must complete play of the hole with the ball with which he began the hole unless he is proceeding under a Rule that permits him to substitute a ball. The player may change balls between the play of two holes as well. 

Rules 26-1 (Water Hazard Rule), 27-1 (Ball Lost or Out of Bounds) and 28 (Ball Unplayable) are examples of Rules that permit the player to substitute another ball. Rule 5-3 permits a player to substitute another ball during the play of a hole when his original ball has become unfit for play during the play of that hole. Other Rules (e.g. Rule 18, Rule 24, and Rule 25-1) permit the player to substitute another ball only if the original ball is not immediately recoverable. 

Note that Rule 16-1b, the Rule that allows the player to lift his ball from the putting green, does not permit the player to substitute another ball; this precludes the player from substituting a “putting ball.” 

A player who substitutes another ball when not permitted to do so incurs the general penalty (loss of hole in match play or a two stroke penalty in stroke play) under the applicable Rule. For instance, a player taking relief, without penalty, under Rule 25-1 due to interference from ground under repair is required to do so with the original ball (unless it is not immediately recoverable). If that player substitutes a ball (and makes a stroke with it) when his original ball is immediately recoverable he incurs the general penalty under Rule 25-1 (as it is the applicable Rule in this case). 

When changing balls, the player is permitted to substitute a ball of another brand or type unless the Committee has adopted the One Ball Condition of Competition (see Appendix I; Part C; Section 1c). This optional condition (usually referred to as ‘The One Ball Rule’) is generally adopted only in events that are limited to professional golfers or highly-skilled amateur golfers. Generally, this condition of competition is not adopted in club-level competitions.

• Rockitch
    1,022 Posts
    Sat, Dec 8 2012 8:02 AM

Where's the rule that makes balls wear ?

:)

R.

• filmslayer
    2,340 Posts
    Sat, Dec 8 2012 8:07 AM

are you old enough to remember balata covers ???

RSS