Forums

Help › Forums

WGT eating my balls

rated by 0 users
Sun, Dec 9 2012 1:30 PM (37 replies)
  • JimbeauC
    5,835 Posts
    Sat, Dec 8 2012 8:47 AM

Okay, I'm not among the elite players, but I do have a pretty good grasp of how to play wind. I've noticed a real propensity for the wind to disappear mid-shot. The fact that I've had to play the wind over water... well, you know the result.

I hope it's just bad luck.

Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get ya.

• Oldbayrunner
    1,774 Posts
    Sat, Dec 8 2012 8:58 AM

LOL... You must be taking a lot of balls back then because guess what they do wear out sometimes even sooner than a couple of rounds. 

As you well mention this game has balls that don't wear out or you can spend your credits on your preference of better balls well knowing the will wear, you will lose some and the price is what it is just as the varied price of purchasing in IRL. The better the ball the more the price no difference. You expect your sporting goods shop to reduce your cost 50% because you think they cost you too much?

If you want there are golf games out there that you can play and not have to be concerned with any of what you complain about. You enter into this game knowing full well that there may be costs associated with playing it. The game owners even provide a means to obtain the credits to cut the out of pocket costs. So you contend they should change their format to suit your wants, would you take a pay cut because someone else thinks you make too much?

• Rockitch
    1,022 Posts
    Sat, Dec 8 2012 10:24 AM

To be honest, no, I don't expect them to change anything in the pricing, for there are enough people buying them balls.

Not playing IRL golf I was under the impression real balls don't wear at all or at least don't wear as fast. You tell me real balls wear in three rounds ? For sure ? That's news to me, but as I said, I don't play real life golf.

Besides that all I think you can not compare prices of real equipment with virtual equipment. Yes, I know servers cost real money and I understand the need for the company to make money. I just think them balls are too expensive, and that's why I took up the challenge to see how far I can get playing the free ball. Nothing bitter or annoyed about that.

Earning credits, ok, nice we have the possibility, but there I do feel a bit annoyed, for only about 50% of the offers I participate in pay out the promised credits without me needing to play Sherlock Holmes, and still, even after delivering proof I'm not always getting the credits.

May I notice that (nearly) all WGT nation members responding in topics like this appear a bit brainwashed to me ? No offense, but you all come up with the same kind of reactions. Is that a prerequisite to become a WGT nation member ? I'll pass then.

R.

• Oldbayrunner
    1,774 Posts
    Sat, Dec 8 2012 12:13 PM

Yep, real balls can get rendered useless after one hit if you skull them. Otherwise they surface wear normally from the grooves of the clubs.

Servers aren't the only costs, I would imagine there would be a big chunk for licensing fees for the courses and the equipment utilized. That has to be factored in.

Brainwashed? Lmao... there is more than one type of brainwashed on here. Just depends on which ones you care to associate yourself with... No offense but looks like your learning towards one of the other kind. Wgt Nation in essence doesn't mean much so you might as well.

• Canada15
    84 Posts
    Sat, Dec 8 2012 12:48 PM

I have golfed my entire life.  If playing an open course and playing somewhat straight, I can use the same ball for 5 plus rounds... Unless you are a touring pro (or you think you are a touring pro) you will not notice wear and tear on golf balls very much. 

A lot of the senior players at my real life country club will purchase new balls every week... They actually think it makes a difference.  I will find their lost balls in a bush and use them for months.  I havent paid for golf balls in the last 8 years.

A lot of those special tour legends seem to feel their superiority gives them the right to laugh at this type of thread, but you have to realize what you are arguing for.  A computer game claiming their virtual balls have wear and tear... Laugh all you want, you are the idiot.

WGT makes a killing off balls, way more than clubs... I havent purchased a new club in maybe a couple years on here.  Surveys have to cover all my usage of balls which is frustrating and time consuming.

• Rockitch
    1,022 Posts
    Sun, Dec 9 2012 2:34 AM

Canada15:
    ...and use them for months...

That's what I thought. So wear is not that much of an issue on real golf balls, and I was not getting the full truth from Oldbayrunner.

Can't wait to kick some legend WGT nation ass, myself using the free ball. Just to show it can be done... Just wait until I have my Ping G20's (lvl 83 that is)....

R.

• renniw52
    5,385 Posts
    Sun, Dec 9 2012 5:22 AM

I am a WGT Nation member, and I am far from brainwashed on this game. IRL golf, which I have played since 1963, (yes your read that right-1963), I have seen my share of the evolution of the golf ball. I can remember a bad shot on a brand new ball, and watch the cover split in half, and a 1/2 mile of little rubber strands spin all over the fairway. And then the good old ball that would literally break in half. I have used practically ever ball available in real golf, from the 6.00 a dozen to the 50.00 dollar a dozen. As far as their durability goes, I have hit a brand new 4.25 ball one time and it was sleeping with the fishes, very short durability. I have played 3-18 hole rounds with a 50 cent ball, and then retired it to the shag bag. I agree100% that the virtual balls on here are way over priced, and the life too short. That is where the brainwashing comes in. We believe we need the more expensive balls to shoot lower rounds, so we continue to waste our real money buying them. If the bar had not been set so far from reality(rounds in the mid 20's and 50's) then there would be no need for these expensive balls. In the early days of WGT, the better players were shooting excellent rounds with inferior clubs and balls. The rounds were actually believable compared to real life scores. WGT said, if we can come up with expensive virtual equipment, and these better players start shooting super low scores, then the masses will rush to the pro shop, spend, spend, spend so they can shoot these scores too. And we did. IRL I have the top Cobras, custom gripped and fitted. I use a Slazenger RAW distance ball, 18 pack for 14.00 at Dicks Sporting goods. I get the most distance and accuracy with this ball, than any other ball, at any price. Durability? -1 hit to 3 rounds.

• Oldbayrunner
    1,774 Posts
    Sun, Dec 9 2012 5:30 AM

Bumped.. Gents not worth wasting the effort....see ya

• Rockitch
    1,022 Posts
    Sun, Dec 9 2012 5:51 AM

renniw52:
    I am a WGT Nation member, and I am far from brainwashed on this game.

I can confirm you appear not brainwashed. Thanks for your honest view. I think your analysis of how it went wrong with this game is accurate. I'm not long enough around to speak out of own experience, but seeing the newer higher meter speed clubs with the newer slower meter speed balls (and their price tag) it doesn't take rocket science to figure out what's going on.

Back to the wear. My interpretation of what canada15 stated before, you always have people who do sports for fun (= not as a professional) but act as if they are pro's when it comes down to the equipment they drag around and the money they spent, believing that the equipment is going to do the job for them. I'm no golfer, but I've done my fair share of sports. I've seen my share of guys acting like pro's, but performing as amateur. Yes, I believe there are amateur golfers who replace there balls every three rounds. I'm just not yet convinced of the necessity of that. We're not talking miss hits now, just normal standard wear / the (im)possibility to play those balls for months. I hear canada15 say he plays them balls for months....

R.

Edit/PS: An honest sorry to the wgt nation members that did speak out against "what's going on". To specify what I said before a bit better: I see (nearly) only wgt nation members defend the pricing and wear of the balls. (That's a bit different from what I stated before. So, no, not all wgt nation members appear brainwashed to me).

• Rockitch
    1,022 Posts
    Sun, Dec 9 2012 5:57 AM

I've seen the response before edit Oldbay. In response I can only quote canada15 and add to that that you seem one of them guys spending unnecessary much money and really belief that that's gonna make the big difference. I'm just more of a believer in practice and hard work.

Canada15:
    A lot of those special tour legends seem to feel their superiority gives them the right to laugh at this type of thread, but you have to realize what you are arguing for.  A computer game claiming their virtual balls have wear and tear... Laugh all you want, you are the idiot.

I just couldn't have said that any better.

R.

RSS