Forums

Help › Forums

WTF

rated by 0 users
Fri, Aug 31 2012 7:55 PM (26 replies)
  • Woodoworkery
    3,498 Posts
    Wed, Aug 29 2012 4:54 PM

Thanks Runner for all your replies. The fact is the shot is over and thats  that , to bad I can't set the same shot up again and find out where I or the program went wrong

It's history my friend, and there will be other WTF shots I'm sure 

Gary

• Oldbayrunner
    1,774 Posts
    Wed, Aug 29 2012 5:15 PM

Woodoworkery:

Thanks Runner for all your replies. The fact is the shot is over and thats  that , to bad I can't set the same shot up again and find out where I or the program went wrong

It's history my friend, and there will be other WTF shots I'm sure 

Gary

Your welcome... We all have those WTF shts every now and then.

• RogerSpacey
    93 Posts
    Wed, Aug 29 2012 6:38 PM

Okay, I don't have many posts on here, but I'd love some feedback on this shot. I'm on the 18th hole at St Andrews ( the unlimited 9 hole tournament for this week), left of the green 36 feet from the hole 31mph head wind blowing slightly (15-20 degrees) to the left. I select my 64 degree wedge, full backspin and hit it for 55 yds. It lands at 37 yds. I've been hitting with this wedge full backspin and getting dead stop or maybe 3 to 4 yrd at most back up. Let me know what you think...besides it being one of those WTF shots! LOL.

Seriously?

Thanks

• Yappy22
    733 Posts
    Wed, Aug 29 2012 6:39 PM

Ooops my tin hat just slipped a little... seems like there are more WTF shots lately. We play a lot of the same or nearly same shots alot... so when we are 10/12 yds under or over we say  WTF.

• zovi
    2 Posts
    Wed, Aug 29 2012 9:02 PM

looks to me like you seriously backspined into a downward slope?

• Oldbayrunner
    1,774 Posts
    Thu, Aug 30 2012 5:52 AM

RogerSpacey:

Okay, I don't have many posts on here, but I'd love some feedback on this shot. I'm on the 18th hole at St Andrews ( the unlimited 9 hole tournament for this week), left of the green 36 feet from the hole 31mph head wind blowing slightly (15-20 degrees) to the left. I select my 64 degree wedge, full backspin and hit it for 55 yds. It lands at 37 yds. I've been hitting with this wedge full backspin and getting dead stop or maybe 3 to 4 yrd at most back up. Let me know what you think...besides it being one of those WTF shots! LOL.

Seriously?

Thanks

Look at camera angle #2.. If you notice the 31 mph wind at 15-20 degrees is fairly akin to side wind causing the direction your ball went and landed, which will still continue to push the ball in that direction. Look at the green there is a dip in the green that breaks from right to left  and back downwards on your approach shot. You used full backspin with a Cleveland 64 and a Nike high spin ball which would normally drop a lot of distance off the ball and draw back about 20' or more on any down sloped green. Hence your ball landed at the tip of that dip and all of the varying factors pushed the ball in the direction and off the green.

Man your lucky I have tried full bottom with Nikes and Callys on my Cleve 64 and there is no way I can get it to stop dead without it severely drawing back and doing exactly what your ball did. Only not so much sideways unless there is a strong crosswind. LOL

In my past experience the positon you were approaching from using any kind of backspin is hazardous as the ball sits on a slight mound and slopes backwards from about 3 feet from the pin making it easy to draw it back off the green. I personally like approaching this hole from the far right side as it gives me more green to work with and less chance of it going back off the green unless I screw up and miss it dramatically left. 

Hope this helps.

• RogerSpacey
    93 Posts
    Fri, Aug 31 2012 7:55 PM

Thanks for the feedback.

Yes, I missed dramatically left with help from the wind. I was aiming to compensate for it and missed badly. I was surprised by the drawback from the Cleveland 64 wedge. Maybe this is something that's being tweeked. I had experienced minimal drawback from fairway shots , but hitting from the rough...whoa, dramatic drawback. Wasn't sure why that was. It wasn't always the case. I've been adjusting.

Also, I've noticed some different wind affects. A head wind used to knock my shot down about a half yard for every mph of wind. On a previous round at RSG I had a 15 mph wind push back my drive 25 yards. Are there gusts now?

Anyway, all part of the game, right? Thanks for the feedback.

RS

RSS