Forums

Help › Forums

What do I have to do in order to putt again since reaching Legend?

rated by 0 users
Sun, Sep 16 2012 1:40 PM (41 replies)
  • Oldbayrunner
    1,774 Posts
    Fri, Sep 14 2012 11:49 AM
    This post has been deleted.
  • gr8flbob
    592 Posts
    Fri, Sep 14 2012 12:19 PM

+1 for YJ's comment on wind/putt interaction. Keep in mind that even strong winds have only a slight impact on line (or break) except on very long putts. Where they have a big impact is on 'effective power' (read applied power or initial speed + wind impact on total roll). 

I'm a formula putter and generally add a 1.5 ft 'safety factor' to my calculation to ensure the ball goes a bit past the hole. Inside 10 ft the impact of wind <10mph is minimal, but but if the wind speed is >10mph, particularly for longer putts, you need to start adding a bit more if wind is against; if the putt will have a significant tailwind you may be able to eliminate the safety factor entirely (especially if the putt is downhill).

Certain courses (the 'O's' notoriously) have VERY slippery downhill greens with HUGE breaks. As in real life, this behavior can change over the 18 holes; different greens receive sunlight differently, affecting the grain of the grass. If the grain is 'with the wind' especially on down-hillers, BEWARE!

For a flat putt with high winds (>15 - 20 mph), I might add or subtract as much as 10% to my calculated required power. If it's a long uphill or downhill putt adjust the correction accordingly - kind of a form of 'Kentucky windage' if you will.

Lastly, have fun with all the variation - it's making the game more life-like IMHO.

• jeffdos924
    1,085 Posts
    Fri, Sep 14 2012 1:21 PM

spitlist:
    I have to say that I was playing on tournament speed greens long before I reached Legend and it was on that speed green that I got my average low enough to advance to the next tier.  So that has not changed

spitlist:
    I previously was slamming putts into the hole to take the break out on putts of less than 4 feet.  But I can't do that now because if I miss (and I dothat regularly) it will leave a much longer putt than I had before

HUH? .. The speed hasn't changed, yet your misses are leaving much longer putts coming back?

Newsflash!... the green speed HAVE changed. Tournament speeds for TM's and tourney speeds for Legends are 2 different animals.... much like lions & tigers ( both big cats, but you wouldn't confuse the two).

You're just going thru the same learning curve that we all did. yself, I never thought the greens were faster when i was TM playing with legends. But, once I moved up, I had a week or so of running everything 10 feet past the hole. Guess what, I ADJUSTED, just like these other guys that are trying to give you good advice that you choose to ignore.

You really have 2 choices : 1) Suck it up and relearn how to putt like we all did, or 2) Keep crying conspiracy in the forums and looking like an idiot.

• spitlist
    119 Posts
    Fri, Sep 14 2012 2:17 PM

jeffdos924:

HUH? .. The speed hasn't changed, yet your misses are leaving much longer putts coming back?

Newsflash!... the green speed HAVE changed. Tournament speeds for TM's and tourney speeds for Legends are 2 different animals.... much like lions & tigers ( both big cats, but you wouldn't confuse the two).

You're just going thru the same learning curve that we all did. yself, I never thought the greens were faster when i was TM playing with legends. But, once I moved up, I had a week or so of running everything 10 feet past the hole. Guess what, I ADJUSTED, just like these other guys that are trying to give you good advice that you choose to ignore.

You really have 2 choices : 1) Suck it up and relearn how to putt like we all did, or 2) Keep crying conspiracy in the forums and looking like an idiot.

This is the sort of thing that I have become accustomed from some people on this forum.  No help whatsoever, only some talking down their noses instead of offering anything constructive.  If you would go back and actually read what I have said, you would see that I have already indicated that I an not having any trouble with the green speeds only the break which I find very inconsistent.   Thanks to some "Helpful" people, I have started concentrating on watching the wind direction and speed for its effect on putts.

Finally, if you don't have anything constructive to say, why waste your energy typing?

• club578
    568 Posts
    Fri, Sep 14 2012 2:44 PM

hey wgt i just played a game and 1player left waited 5 min and gae never came back for me and 1 other player

• canuck4everr
    100 Posts
    Fri, Sep 14 2012 4:57 PM

YankeeJim:

High winds and Legend speed greens-that's it and that's all they will say. (Btw, wind affects putts, especially long ones.) Yours is the first idea I've seen that a certain number of rounds has to be played for conditions to stabilize.

I say wind does not affect putts , if it does this would be the first computer golf game where wind would affect putts .

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Fri, Sep 14 2012 5:02 PM

canuck4everr:
    I say wind does not affect putts , if it does this would be the first computer golf game where wind would affect putts .

I used to think that until the CTTH at RSG. 84 foot putt up 36 with a huge break and I've made it a few times. The wind is definitely a factor as it affects the distance.

FWIW, this IS the first computer game that does that. As well as use HD pics, VEM and no DL, to name a few. ;-)

• LeGeNdCrUsHeR
    2,067 Posts
    Fri, Sep 14 2012 5:38 PM

Hi Spit,

When adjusting your putt on tourney greens for legends, try this method.  

Look at your putt from reverse view initially.

Once you think you have found the point that you think the break will come from, switch back and forth to re-adjust your aimer at the first moving dot (marble) in that area.

Most of the time the cup (hole) sits directly on a grid line.  If it is not centered, adjust the aimer in the direction the cup is outside the grid line.

Example;  here is the cup (0) and grid line(l)     l>0   The cup sits to the right of the grid line. Move the aimer the exact distance from the original marble as the cup is from the grid line.

I utilize a mathematical equivalent of (actual distance +- elivation)  then multiply by .74

Example putt distance;  23 feet, 3 inches down

23 - 3 = 20 x 0.74= 14.8 feet

So on a 15 foot meter scale, hit slightly off full.

Hope some of this helps :)

Rich 

• canuck4everr
    100 Posts
    Fri, Sep 14 2012 5:46 PM

YankeeJim:

canuck4everr:

I used to think that until the CTTH at RSG. 84 foot putt up 36 with a huge break and I've made it a few times. The wind is definitely a factor as it affects the distance.

FWIW, this IS the first computer game that does that. As well as use HD pics, VEM and no DL, to name a few. ;-)

whats VEM and  no DL ?

• JimbeauC
    5,835 Posts
    Fri, Sep 14 2012 9:24 PM

spitlist:
    What do I have to DO?

I am only about two steps ahead of you. IMO you have the right putter, which we both know suffers from the 'shorts' but you have indicated that you have a good feel for speed. Downhillers are the most maddening. 

Ok. I'm about to share something that I will probably never do again. Several have remarked on the incredible break on downhill putts. Pay attention to how long it takes for the putt to reach the hole. Start with flattish shots. Then try down/up hill, progressing to severe. The dot movement of the 'average' dot over the time of the putt will closely approximate the break. Nice slow downhill putts take more time, therefore break more. You'll probably discover that uphill is almost the same as flat. Severe side hills should be played for two putts. If one goes in, it's pretty much a miracle. Trust me. I once 6 putted #9 Oak. 

Foolproof? No. But I'm not 3 putting as much as I was, and more 1 putts to boot. 

Good luck. Hope this helps.

RSS