Forums

Help › Forums

What do I have to do in order to putt again since reaching Legend?

rated by 0 users
Sun, Sep 16 2012 1:40 PM (41 replies)
  • spitlist
    119 Posts
    Thu, Sep 13 2012 11:40 PM

Ever since I hit Legend tier, I have not been able to make a putt.  Something has definitely changed and I cvan't figure out what it is.

Is there something I have to do, like spend money on a new putter in order for WGT to let me start making putts again?

Do I have to contribute more money?  Do I have to kiss the WGT ring? 

What do I have to DO?  Someone please share the secret because I am just about to totally give up on this game.  It is no longer any fun.

• piztaker
    5,743 Posts
    Thu, Sep 13 2012 11:43 PM

The greens are faster so you have to allow for more break. Once I got used to them I found that they were the best.

• spitlist
    119 Posts
    Thu, Sep 13 2012 11:49 PM

piztaker:

The greens are faster so you have to allow for more break. Once I got used to them I found that they were the best.

I don't have any problems with the speed.  I  just find that the breaks are anything but consistent.  The same put won't roll the same way twice.  It's like WGT intentionally throws a monkey wrench into the works just to piss me off  So my reads are nothing more than a guess because I cannot count on them doing what they look like.  

• saltiresfan
    2,266 Posts
    Fri, Sep 14 2012 1:03 AM

It's in your head. There is no change other than those mentioned.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Fri, Sep 14 2012 5:22 AM

spitlist:
    So my reads are nothing more than a guess because I cannot count on them doing what they look like.  

Give yourself time to acclimate. You've been putting on green speeds that tend to hold lines better because they were slower. Your new speed not only requires you to slow your putts down, you now have to allow for what Piz pointed out above-they also break faster. So slower putts that break faster might seem a contradiction but that's what's jerking you around.

• saltiresfan
    2,266 Posts
    Fri, Sep 14 2012 5:46 AM

I don't think the difference between TM and Legend tourny greens is all that much really. I still use 0.75 for both. Half the time you play on Tourny greens you have no idea if they are TM or legend anyway. I just treat them the same.

• chrisironsbones
    3,524 Posts
    Fri, Sep 14 2012 6:14 AM

Yes YJ is talking sense, on tournament greens if i have a 10 foot putt with a 4 ins down slope, i give the ball say 3 foot of power, and boy does that putt break. I would have to aim it way more left/right than what i would have to do if it was flat and i hit it with 8 feet of power instead of the 3.

Same with 5 foot putts with say left to right break, sometimes i might underhit that 5 foot putt and it curls  right side of hole, but i might have hit it harder and it goes left side of hole and 2 or 3 foot past.  Its a fine line between judging a break correctly, and over/underhitting it, but there will come a time it clicks in and it gets 2nd nature for you and your one putt % will soar over 65

• piztaker
    5,743 Posts
    Fri, Sep 14 2012 7:58 AM

goldeena:

What have I got to do to make you love me

Just a smile will suffice.

• spitlist
    119 Posts
    Fri, Sep 14 2012 8:27 AM

I have to say that I was playing on tournament speed greens long before I reached Legend and it was on that speed green that I got my average low enough to advance to the next tier.  So that has not changed.  

What has changed is the greens are now inconsistent.  So "getting used to them" as one suggested, is meaningless.  The only way to be able to conquer these greens is having them consistently do the same thing every time.  THat is not happening.

I previously was slamming putts into the hole to take the break out on putts of less than 4 feet.  But I can't do that now because if I miss (and I dothat regularly) it will leave a much longer putt than I had before.  

Trying to finesse the ball in on longer putts only leaves the ball a couple of inches from the hole.  Adding a bit of speed will often burn the edge but not go in.  Everyone I play with always has the comment "UL".  But I doubt luck has anything to do with it.  I am convinced that WGL intentionally makes it not go in.  

I want someone from WGT to confirm that they changed the algorithm after a player reaches Legend tier.  And if I just have to play a set number of rounds until this extra punishment is relaxed, tell me how long or how many rounds that entails so I can know that there is light at the end of this tunnel and not a train coming back at me.  Otherwise, I may as well just quit and stop the frustration.

There is no way that "It's in your head. There is no change other than those mentioned." as someone suggests.  My head did not change when I reached Legend tier.

RSS