Help › Forums

Low Scores, How do they happen ?

rated by 0 users
Mon, Oct 8 2012 10:31 PM (39 replies)
  • chrisironsbones
    3,524 Posts
    Fri, Sep 28 2012 5:58 AM

nickuk:
    What puzzles me is ive played a few leg ends in stroke play...and not one of them has seemed capable of getting a 63 never mind scores in the 50`s. maybe you have to play on your own

You must have been playing the wrong legends.  Invite me for match and you might see a difference

Oh, by the way,  The players who can score 53's or better are the players who can also sink long putts when required because no matter how good you are at judging approaches, you wont land within 2 yards every hole.

• CerinoDevoti
    3,232 Posts
    Fri, Sep 28 2012 7:34 AM

chrisironsbones:

nickuk:
    What puzzles me is ive played a few leg ends in stroke play...and not one of them has seemed capable of getting a 63 never mind scores in the 50`s. maybe you have to play on your own

You must have been playing the wrong legends.  Invite me for match and you might see a difference

Oh, by the way,  The players who can score 53's or better are the players who can also sink long putts when required because no matter how good you are at judging approaches, you wont land within 2 yards every hole.

Chris is spot on. 100% fairways in reg followed by 100% greens in reg. Once one is on the green every birdie putt is technically able to be holed. The best players make them all because they can. As usual it's putt for dough.

I really hate seeing these type of threads here. I love seeing the incredible scores knowing the player had to be under the pressure of playing near perfect for the entire round. Then they actually did it. My hats tipped to those that score so low.

• PRIESTESS
    10,716 Posts
    Fri, Sep 28 2012 7:36 AM

alosso:
    Took 5 mins for that one putt" was heard from a lady Legend after a fabulous score,

OMG!! What a memory you have,You have just brought that moment back to me:) It was a 5 footer on 15,i was right side of pin looking up from the tee angle and it was nasty and i needed it to keep my score going knowing i had a good chance of nailing the last 3,wow thank you for the re-cap :)  i made the putt and went on to post a winning score,That putt was the make or break moment and i couldn't let all that time and effort go to waste by missing it,after 5 mins i found the courage to hit it LOL

• mmikkeelee
    591 Posts
    Fri, Sep 28 2012 7:44 AM

putting is key

having the ability to putt short tricky putts to long 35ft putts

master this and your on your way to low scoring games simple as that i think

obviously players need other key skills but for me putting is the key thing in golf :)

• BOBTX61
    311 Posts
    Fri, Sep 28 2012 10:08 AM

P.S...............Last night, I watched the VIDEO produced by the "DEVIATIONS" CC (IF you aren't familiar with this CC, every member is a LEGEND).

First, I have to admit, I really haven't personally watched EVERY WGT video.....but, I have watched enough to UNDERSTAND.......HOW the "blue triangle" can be very helpful to your game here on WGT.  OK, this is a VIDEO GAME, so we get to use this & the moving grid on the greens.........PGA players don't have these golfing tools to help their low scores.

I watched the VIDEO.....and saw HOW the player (Avatar) ALWAYS used that "blue triangle" really on EVERY SHOT.  From the tee shot, fairways and when he was putting.  And, I watched WHICH club he selected for various shots.  Think he was off the fairway ONLY 1 time.....staying on the FAIRWAYS is a huge help too - but, we all know....we do play from rough, fescue, sand, etc......but, not because we want to....LOL.

When he was putting......and it looked like there was approx. 6 inches of break from right to left.....he would move the "blue triangle" over to the right of the hole, then, using the right distance on the "swing meter", he would putt the ball and "HIT THE DING"...the center white line.......when he hit the DING, the ball would go straight at the "blue triangle" and drop right into the hole.  I watched all 9 holes in this video.....he hit 8 birdies out of the 9 holes.  I KNOW......this is probably nothing NEW to most of you.....this is maybe how YOU play your rounds here on WGT.

That being said.........I do use that "blue triangle" to some degree.....but, I have NEVER used it on the 701 ranked rounds I have hit (WHEN I WAS PUTTING).  I just read the greens using the "moving grid"....and putt.  Well, my (1 putt average is only 35%, I think).....most of the BEST Legends have an average for (1 putts - over 50%).

But, what I read on here about PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE.....I believe is key. Learn each course and green.....even taking notes.  Even PGA members study holes & greens BEFORE Tournaments.  Play courses....OVER & OVER untl you really KNOW each hole....fairways, greens.....every hole seems to sort of have it's own "personality" if you will.

Also, something that has been pointed out to me.......GREAT APPROACH SHOTS make all the difference in the world.  The first couple of months I played on WGT.....I think my average for "approach shots" was 29 feet.....well, chances of a ONE PUTT from that distance is just NOT GOOD.  I am NOW averaging beween 8 and 15 ft. on my approach shots AND that improved my PUTING......STILL, need to IMPROVE my "one putts"!!!

Some really good comments in this thread......I really appreciate eveyone's time and helpful tips here!

Bob 

• alosso
    21,060 Posts
    Fri, Sep 28 2012 11:07 AM

I appreciate your thoughts Bob - not much to add, except that I'd much more enjoy to read them without boldface letters.

Concerning putting & ding there are at least two sides:

- move the target and ding the shot, or

- leave the target untouched and hit the meter off-ding

(and any combination of these).

The first method has the advantage to be working in any environment, also with severe breaks and the fastest greens. The second finds it's limits at a certain point.

• BogeyMan310
    865 Posts
    Fri, Sep 28 2012 11:12 AM

nickuk:
    What puzzles me is ive played a few leg ends in stroke play...and not one of them has seemed capable of getting a 63 never mind scores in the 50`s.

I don't remember playing you but I am probably one of the legends you are referring to, I have been a legend for about 2 weeks and have looked horrible on some courses, but this is mainly getting used to playing with long irons, hybrid, 3 wood that I never used until I hit legend, used only a driver and mostly pitching wedges up till this point, used to carry 4 wedges and could land it within 2 - 3 feet on every hole, now I am lucky to hit the green let alone hit it close.  But give me about another month and it will come back, the ball lands and reacts different from 200 yards out than it does from 115.  Have played a few tour legends and I was very impressed by their play, they are the cream of the crop.  Between practice and ranked rounds I probably have about 2500 rounds, it does take practice and knowing what each club will do under all circumstances and picking the best one for that shot.

• BOBTX61
    311 Posts
    Fri, Sep 28 2012 3:52 PM

Hey "alosso"....sorry about the BOLD print.....agree, it's a bit difficult to read.

I haven't really spent enough time with "moving the target" for putting to know if I would feel comfortable with that.  Of course, if you don't set the target "correctly".....you won't make that putt.

Like I said, I've ALWAYS just read the greens.....and hit my putts on either side of the "ding"......For some reason, I think I putted much better as a TM.  I even managed to hit (9) straight Birdies on the Back 9 at Kiawah......but, seriously don't think I could do that NOW.

I'm pretty frustrated with my putting.....since making Legend this past July....my putting has suffered.....just doesn't figure.  I just now sank a 25 up hill putt & another 21 foot putt.....so, I KNOW I can still putt....just looking for some consistency.

I appreciate your input on this issue!

Bob

• mantis0014
    8,946 Posts
    Fri, Sep 28 2012 5:00 PM

BOBTX61:

Hey "alosso"....sorry about the BOLD print.....agree, it's a bit difficult to read.

I haven't really spent enough time with "moving the target" for putting to know if I would feel comfortable with that.  Of course, if you don't set the target "correctly".....you won't make that putt.

Like I said, I've ALWAYS just read the greens.....and hit my putts on either side of the "ding"......For some reason, I think I putted much better as a TM.  I even managed to hit (9) straight Birdies on the Back 9 at Kiawah......but, seriously don't think I could do that NOW.

I'm pretty frustrated with my putting.....since making Legend this past July....my putting has suffered.....just doesn't figure.  I just now sank a 25 up hill putt & another 21 foot putt.....so, I KNOW I can still putt....just looking for some consistency.

I appreciate your input on this issue!

Bob

Yes Bob.... Writing in Bold means you are Shouting....lol

Putting is the key to a great game.  Maybe the new green speed is letting you down until you get use to it.

I'm a miss the ding putter... never move the Aim, unless it's a fast break, so don't get frustrated.... just learn for the next time :)

-Roger

• kilbraur
    219 Posts
    Fri, Sep 28 2012 7:11 PM

I are legend my most good score 26 on 9 hole see card on mine profile page, best 18 hole are 60.

1. I not do it every time I plays.

2. Learn the wind are important, the people not haveing less than 65 are not learn this.

3. You has to know the good bit of green to get the easy put to hole

RSS