Forums

Help › Forums

Virtual Open Championship Discussion Thread

Fri, Aug 6 2010 10:23 AM (99 replies)
  • hesomist
    62 Posts
    Fri, Jul 23 2010 9:32 AM

Holy cow.  Just finished my 2nd round and thought i was doing great (31 out) until i could barely get inside 40 feet on my approaches on the back.  Ended up with a 31-35, for a 66, 127 overall.  Currently 1st, but that will definitely not hold up.  Good luck over the weekend fellas!  Here's my favorite shot from both rounds.  Round 1, Approach on #17.

Edit -- make that my favorite two shots.  :-)  Round 1, Par save on #4

• TarheelsRule
    5,550 Posts
    Fri, Jul 23 2010 10:36 AM

NIce round at 66.  I just finished with my second straight 71.  This time it was a birdie on #1, 14 straight pars, a three putt bogey on 16 and a birdie on #18.  I think I had the wind in my face or side to side on 17 holes.  The one hole with it to my back, I fly it into a trap.  Putting was tough as normal with these pin placements but the wind of 25 to 35 MPH on every hole was too much for me, I have a difficult time judging that high of a wind speed with shots over 175 yards or so.  Seems that one goes 15 yards short, one goes 5 yards short.  Anyway congrats to anyone who can throw out a score in the mid 60's.  Hope we get to mix and match those pin placements, some are evil.

• Mike3226
    2,683 Posts
    Fri, Jul 23 2010 4:23 PM

I had a 31 mph right to left wind for my 210 yard second shot into 17. As I was -5 after 16 decided to take the safe option (only option in my opinion) and play a 3 iron towards the 18th tee. (left side of the green)  All went according to plan except missed the 6 foot putt - at least a 5 on 17 isn't a disaster and a birdy on 18 balanced the books.

• rustan
    66 Posts
    Fri, Jul 23 2010 5:32 PM

Interesting your wind on 17, i had a 27ml tailwind off the tee. Begs the question,are we all playing the same course under the same conditions,i think not.

Not real happy with even par but it was brutal

• Mike3226
    2,683 Posts
    Sat, Jul 24 2010 1:30 AM

I think it's the luck of the draw and can make 4 or 5 shots difference to your score. But hey isn't that just like the real game?

• TarheelsRule
    5,550 Posts
    Sat, Jul 24 2010 2:44 PM

I don't understand why we aren't all playing under the same conditions on single play games.  I understand in the multiple plays, if you can play under the same wind conditions for 5 times, you will get pretty good.  However in the open as was said above, the winds were in excess of 30 MPH.  I had helping wind on #1 (big help) and one other hole, maybe 6 or 7 and I hit it in the trap on that one.  Every other hole was into the wind or with a side wind.  I think on #17 I had a 30 MPH wind to the right, ended up wiht about 225 to the hole, got up and down from just over the back.   The same wind I guess could be compromised by people telling other players what it is before they tee off but I think the same wind, pins and green speed should be for all of us.

• WGTniv
    1,788 Posts
    Sat, Jul 24 2010 2:53 PM

As was mentioned, having the same winds will lead to people sharing information and that can provide an enormous advantage to some of the players on this site.  Everyone plays the same range (low, moderate, heavy) but, you will see varying speeds and directions within that range.

Green speeds and pins are the same for everyone, but you need to look no farther than Round 2 of The Open Championship to see that not everyone gets the same wind directions and strengths.  The guys who went out early on Friday had a huge advantage playing in virtually no wind.  The guys who went off in the afternoon wave had to deal with 30+ mph winds.  You won't see that large of a variation in our game, but you will see some and we find that acceptable.  Sometimes, like in real life, it's just the luck of the draw.

• pauls
    1,146 Posts
    Sat, Jul 24 2010 3:54 PM

well said niv

1,644 Posts
    Sat, Jul 24 2010 11:55 PM

Well this may be the putt of the tournament! Let me set it up for you all...

Going into #16 at -7 needing a 64 (-8) to secure the lead, I was trying to be aggressive and attack the pin knowing that I have the hardest hole in the game coming up next and needed a bit of insurance.  But I misjudged the wind (23 mph @ 8 o'clock) and did not clear the mounds at the front of the green =(=(=( .  Okay have to putt it close for a 2 putt par and pray for par on 17, or risk having to birdie 18 for a tie.

Now watch the putt...

It was 45 feet but across a 15" sloping incline... I nearly woke the entire neighborhood when it dropped!

And then I was lucky enough to be able to play safe on 17 for the par and birdied 18 for a 63!!

But it's not over yet, there are still some really good player out there left to post!  So good luck to all the rest of you left in the second round! 

Play Hard!

• pauls
    1,146 Posts
    Sun, Jul 25 2010 12:47 AM

nice putt lee, always nice when your just trying to play safe and it goes in, :)  congratulatoins on posting the best so far mate.

RSS