Help › Forums

Are the pins pulled on putts ?

rated by 0 users
Tue, Nov 13 2012 3:04 PM (16 replies)
  • PAGES
  • boylee0
    38 Posts
    Tue, Nov 13 2012 4:44 AM

Can someone tell me whether the pins are automatically pulled on putts or not ?

Sure i read that they are, so can anyone shed any light on the subject ?

replay.aspx?ID=f1f1307b d910 452c ad27 a10800cb67ed

• alcaucin
    9,041 Posts
    Tue, Nov 13 2012 4:52 AM

Yes they are.., looks like fringe,even if it didn't say so...happens occasionally that, which is why I always do it manually as part of putting routine....Andy

• alosso
    21,060 Posts
    Tue, Nov 13 2012 5:15 AM

When playing the shot you can test the surface, and in case of a putt from the green the flag will be pulled automatically.

Difficult to consider by the replay because

- it doesn't tell the surface,

- the virtual image of the virtual flag will stay in for putts from the green.

Alas, from the fact that it actually hit the flag I support Andy's conclusion that the shot was from the fringe.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Tue, Nov 13 2012 5:21 AM

boylee0:
    Sure i read that they are, so can anyone shed any light on the subject ?

You were on the fringe. Look at the mower tracks circling the green.

• borntobesting
    9,688 Posts
    Tue, Nov 13 2012 5:47 AM

There is a foolproof way to tell if you are on the green or fringe.Look at your ball next to the meter.If you see a spin dot you are on the fringe if you see no spin dot you are on the green.

• CerinoDevoti
    3,232 Posts
    Tue, Nov 13 2012 5:51 AM

borntobesting:

There is a foolproof way to tell if you are on the green or fringe.Look at your ball next to the meter.If you see a spin dot you are on the fringe if you see no spin dot you are on the green.

Waving the curser over the ball next to the meter always gives the lie regardless of where you are on the course. When in doubt near the edge of greens I always check before I putt.

• boylee0
    38 Posts
    Tue, Nov 13 2012 6:25 AM

Many thanks Fellas, for taking the time to respond. The reason i was confused was because firstly, there was no "on the fringe" indicator , secondly no spin dot was visible so i assumed  i was on the green , i did however forget about the 2nd cut, but because it was a down hill putt  i didn't want to over hit it. 

Ps the pins are not very forgiving any how you look at it ;)   Paul .

• alosso
    21,060 Posts
    Tue, Nov 13 2012 6:54 AM

Fringe and green look quite similar, the indication ball hovering above the surface.

I also assume know that there is no spin dot when putting from the fringe, simply because the putter doesn't support any spins. The difference may be is given only in other shots since they support spin anywhere except on the green.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Tue, Nov 13 2012 7:25 AM

There's another possibility-it might not be mapped exactly right. A putt on a green will not hit the pin. Because this one did, even though there wasn't a spin dot on the ball, you might think something's off in the mapping at that spot.

• alosso
    21,060 Posts
    Tue, Nov 13 2012 7:39 AM

Putts don't have spin dots, neither on green nor fringe nor tee. The replay doesn't tell anything about any mapping error.

• PAGES
RSS