Forums

Help › Forums

New Opens ridiculous

Sat, Jul 3 2010 5:56 PM (134 replies)
  • YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, Jun 16 2010 9:32 AM

LOL-jb telling it like it is. Go easy on the guy, jb-he's wearing a Yankee hat and has never played a ranked round at BPB. Oakmont must be a ridiculous culture shock to him.

@neil-Good take and if you look at the "spread" of the qualifiers it looks pretty consistent with RL leaderboards, albeit much lower.

• gumshoe
    21 Posts
    Wed, Jun 16 2010 9:37 AM

Agreed there should be an elite tier for the guys who have the time to play 1000's of rounds and shoot mid 50's to low 60's constantly.All the masters who average mid to high 60's never have a chance in any tournament. These guys love it.Maybe there should be an elite tier just for them and give us normal masters something more to strive for

• BOFFMEN
    337 Posts
    Wed, Jun 16 2010 9:44 AM

BOFFMEN:

Qualifying for the Virtual Opens is not for everyone.

Only your doctor can decide if WGT is right for you.

Do not play WGT if you play TWO as the combination can cause a sudden unsafe drop in intelligence.

Do not drink alcohol in excess while playing WGT as this may increase your chances of being an idiot.

The most common side effects of WGT are profanity and an upset spouse.

In the rare event of a qualifying round lasting longer than 4 hours seek immediate medical help to avoid long term injury.

If you experience a sudden decrease in qualifying scores and a loss of vision, stop playing WGT and call your doctor right away.

• Chazzz7
    53 Posts
    Wed, Jun 16 2010 12:17 PM

First of all i am not crying.by the way Jb how many times have you posted in the 50's.All i'm saying is there should be another tier i know i don't have the time to devote to this to ever shoot in the 50's besides i treat it as only a game.This is my point there are a few guys that are excellent players and they deserve it but i for one know i can't compete no matter how much i practice . As i said i love playing this game so relax JB i'm not crying.By the way i haven't even tried qualifying yet so chill out i think i'm allowed an opinion.

• LEIGH0007
    4 Posts
    Wed, Jun 16 2010 12:31 PM

IM Not really replying to your post ,,, i just want to make a suggestion to WGT   that there should be a penalty on them that  profess to be masters , and only became masters by  quitting there rounds in the first two holes if there not playing well  and only saving the rounds that leave them under par.... this is  unfair and deceptive..  in one day alone i had five masters  join me on Oakmont  and because they didn't part the first hole they quit....  there should be a penalty for any one including me for quitting more than three rounds a week....  and if they quit five or more they should be penalized  there tier what ever the case may be..

• TarheelsRule
    5,550 Posts
    Wed, Jun 16 2010 1:26 PM

I actually think the penalty should be the other way.  Why penalize someone who gets their scoring average and ranking by quitting.  Those are the players I love to play against, the ones you watch out for are the pros who stay there by shooting higher scores and then kill you in tounaments and ready gos.  Think of real golf, would you rather play against a Donald Trump type who makes sure his handicap is about 5 strokes lower than it should be or against Joe Smith who has a 10 handicap but can shoot 72 from the back tees every time.   Now I can relate to your frustration on masters or pros quitting after the first hole, but honestly once you become a master your average makes no difference you can't go back.  I try not to quit unless it is necessary, if you don't want to post, play to the last hole and then quit.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, Jun 16 2010 2:15 PM

The penalty is kinda already there. Paper Masters that got there by pounding out rounds at SA and KIA, posting only the best ones, can't compete at BPB and Oakmont.

• rainman692
    54 Posts
    Wed, Jun 16 2010 4:02 PM

Shermanator91:
    Rainman: would you care to elaborate? If I try to line up my putt so that it doesn't break sideways as much, it just runs way past the hole.

Sherman, you'd rather putt 4 or 5  yards straight uphill than 2 yards sideways, so you must try to rest the ball (flight and roll) under the pin (left of the pin on #1 for ex.). Then you need to come up with a formula that takes into account distance and gradient, plus some coefficient for green speed, to find out  the putt's swing force. My formula doesn't work too well yet, so I won't bother telling you, but i'm working on it.

And BTW, I've played Oakmont CC and I guarantee that the greens are just as fast as they are here, sometimes even faster, so brace for the real Opens, 'cause we will have Championship speed and higher winds. Amen

• IvaThongon
    933 Posts
    Wed, Jun 16 2010 4:09 PM

YankeeJim:

The penalty is kinda already there. Paper Masters that got there by pounding out rounds at SA and KIA, posting only the best ones, can't compete at BPB and Oakmont.

I agree Jim. I made master because I had 3 good 9 hole rounds in a row on the easier courses. I could break par on Bethpage as a pro, but still struggle to break par there as a master. Oakmont is very much the same. Master forced the use of real clubs though, not the ones we start with, because the length becomes to prohibitive.

Why everyone is so concerned about there ranking number baffles me, especially the masters. I have said many times I am no more than a decent player. I could purposely bump my rating to say 85, and if that little number actually concerned me, could sit down for about 2 hours playing 9s by myself on courses that favor my game, and have that number between 62 and 65...in 2 hours or so!!! Getting all worked up over someone else's rank is so pointless.

• Shermanator91
    35 Posts
    Wed, Jun 16 2010 6:41 PM

rainman692:

Sherman, you'd rather putt 4 or 5  yards straight uphill than 2 yards sideways, so you must try to rest the ball (flight and roll) under the pin (left of the pin on #1 for ex.). Then you need to come up with a formula that takes into account distance and gradient, plus some coefficient for green speed, to find out  the putt's swing force. My formula doesn't work too well yet, so I won't bother telling you, but i'm working on it.

And BTW, I've played Oakmont CC and I guarantee that the greens are just as fast as they are here, sometimes even faster, so brace for the real Opens, 'cause we will have Championship speed and higher winds. Amen

Ah makes sense, I already sort of knew that, I just didn't really get that from your prior post. Anyway thanks for the tip, and hopefully I can figure out these greens! Looking forward to seeing the PGA tour players play on Oakmont. Cheers.

RSS