Forums

Help › Forums

Belly putters

rated by 0 users
Wed, Nov 28 2012 4:41 PM (4 replies)
  • Gearman
    122 Posts
    Wed, Nov 28 2012 4:11 PM

I heard today PGA and R and A are going o ban "anchor" putters, ie. belly and long putters. I don't golf much in real life, and was wondering what the real golfers here thought/ Ok..... discuss. 

Cheers, Gearman

• Dougie4042
    4,410 Posts
    Wed, Nov 28 2012 4:29 PM

Well, it's whatever Tiger wants.  What Tiger wants, Tiger gets.  Also, the intellectuals that run golf were growing concerned that a generation of young golfers were ditching the short putter in favor of using the belly putters.  They couldn't have that!  In the immortal words of Topol, it's all about "tradition!!"

Cheers

Doug

• Ducati916
    1,116 Posts
    Wed, Nov 28 2012 4:32 PM

they have proposed a ban...if adopted, it won't take effect until 2016.  They are not actually banning the putters, but, anchoring the putter to the body via the chest or belly...so, players would still be able to use them...but not while holding it against any part of their torso. Also, the PGA would not have to adopt the R & A and USGA ban and could still allow them in PGA events....Still a lot of details and time to pass yet.

For me...I don't care either way. I would never use one becase I'm quite happy with a regular  shafted putter...and you still have to read the speed and the line regardless of what you use. The idea behind anchoring it is that it takes away from only using the hands and arms which can get a bit nervous I suppose.

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Wed, Nov 28 2012 4:33 PM

It is a proposal and has not been approved yet by the USGA and R and A.  There is a 3 month period for open comment before they make the rule.

Here's a good article about it in The Associated Press

• Dougie4042
    4,410 Posts
    Wed, Nov 28 2012 4:41 PM

andyson:
    Here's a good article about it in The Associated Press

Very good article Andy!

RSS