Forums

Help › Forums

Doc's Unified Theory of VEM Influence and Subsequent Gameplay

rated by 0 users
Fri, Dec 7 2012 8:53 AM (25 replies)
  • drmoose
    3,538 Posts
    Wed, Dec 5 2012 10:29 AM

While many theories have been fielded regarding V.E.M. associated phenomena, after careful study, I feel I am now ready to present my findings. Given we know that V.E. M. exists and that it can be used to manipulate gameplay, the question becomes, "How and to what extent is it being applied ?"

Let's say the vitual equipment models' influence is adjustable from 0 to 100%. With "0" meaning you hit your shot and your ball goes the clubs' stated distance after allowing for elevation, wind, ding, etc. and your shot lands where it's supposed to. Now , let's say the V.E.M. is set to 70%, meaning you only have a 30% chance of achieving that same result. In such a scenario, this would affect everyone equally. " But Doc. " you ask "How is it that some players don't seem to be affected?" The answer to this I believe, is that they are, but, because of their playing ability, their deviations are less and therefore easier for them to overcome. For example, a player who consistently lands within 2 to 3 yds. of the pin may end up with a 12 to 15 ft. putt, easily made by better players, whereas someone who normally lands within 5 to 6 yds.from the pin could be looking at 21 to 24 ft and a much more difficult time of it. "OK, Doc. that's possible, not likely, but possible". "Why would WGT make the game that much harder though and upset their client base ? You ask. Well, because we asked them to. A year ago the forums were littered with people saying "These low scores are ridiculous !" Don't see too many of those comments now , do you ? Or, how 'bout the putting challenge ?The Nation only challenge got blasted for being too easy. The second one? Not so much. Contrary to the opinions of some, I believe WGT does listen, but, in response to all those who complained "Too easy!", "Unrealistic!", they may have gone too far in trying to please their public. Personally, I'd like to see the V.E.M. deviations backed off a tad, but, maybe that's just me.

Doc ;)

• renniw52
    5,385 Posts
    Wed, Dec 5 2012 11:36 AM

Seeing that we have a pissed off Pizza, that closed the Deviations thread, I will comment here. Decided to try an 18 hole stroke game, for the first time in a long time. Was 8 under going into 15, all greens and fairways hit in regulation. Slightly missed the ding by less than a frog hair and ball was gone. Nbr 16 at SA. 21 mph wind dead down the fairway, dinged the shot and it goes out of bounds on right of fairway, another lost Nike. Hitting third shot from the tee, same 21 mph wind. Hit the shot just sly of the ding, ball goes into deep rough on the left side of fairway. Absolutely, no way in hell, is this not programmed. Going back to what TBE said in the closed post. The serious players who spend the money on here, will play less and spend less, or start paying nothing. I will become one of those players. It has gone beyond fair or realistic. I kept a round of 71 on that 18, hit the fairway and greens on 17 and 18, 7 strokes lost in 4 holes. LMFAO.

• notonthis
    893 Posts
    Wed, Dec 5 2012 11:48 AM

Be aware they are watching us lmao.

• Wontonamo
    2,269 Posts
    Wed, Dec 5 2012 12:21 PM

ill share this result with yas - just another regular round ive had to put up with lol. someone obviously snuck some starter gear into my bag after the front 9 and stoled my burners. not looking at anyone in particular tho lol.....

• drmoose
    3,538 Posts
    Wed, Dec 5 2012 1:07 PM

Well Renni, I'm not lookin' ta irritates no one, but, I was following that thread with great interest as some of the best players on here were listing some pretty strange goin's on. Now, I know's far greater minds than mine have been studyin' this as we are an inquisitive species. Now, personally, when I see scorecards like Wontonamo's up there, who I know didn't fall off no tomato truck yesterday, it does tend to make one wonder.

Doc ;)

• renniw52
    5,385 Posts
    Wed, Dec 5 2012 1:22 PM

I'm no where near one of the best Doc, but I didn't just walk in the door either. I wasn't even upset this time, all I could say was, this figures. It has become expected, doesn't have to be accepted though. I think I will spend some time playing with starter clubs and balls, and see how high I can score. I may become the first Legend with a 150.00 average.

• Ffudd
    2,541 Posts
    Wed, Dec 5 2012 1:35 PM

drmoose:
    Let's say the vitual equipment models' influence is adjustable from 0 to 100%. With "0" meaning you hit your shot and your ball goes the clubs' stated distance after allowing for elevation, wind, ding, etc. and your shot lands where it's supposed to. Now , let's say the V.E.M. is set to 70%, meaning you only have a 30% chance of achieving that same result.

I like the idea but with the starting % set differently for different tournies, maybe 10% for unlimited tournies up to 40% for big RGs.

I also think the % changes as the round progresses, increasing a few % for a birdie and decreasing a few % off for a bogey.

• hpurey
    11,505 Posts
    Wed, Dec 5 2012 2:03 PM

Wontonamo:
    someone obviously snuck some starter gear into my bag after the front 9 and stoled my burners.

LOL  

I've been told that if you save and quit after the front 9,  then reopen the game client and continue,  that it keeps this from happening.  

I haven't played any decent f9's on 18 hole games in a while to verify if it helps or not.  

Someone must be taking my stuff before I even start the round lol. 

• renniw52
    5,385 Posts
    Wed, Dec 5 2012 2:13 PM

The hits just keep coming, started another round 3 under after 3 and the same scenario. Yes, I can see some of the old timers backing off a bit. 150.00 average, here I come.

• drmoose
    3,538 Posts
    Wed, Dec 5 2012 4:59 PM

See, now here fellers, this is what I'm talkin' 'bout. Yuh cain't have thet many good players all complainin' 'bout the same thang, without there bein' some nugget of truth in there. Is we bein' manipulated in our gameplay, yes. Are we being manipulated too much in our gameplay, imo , yes. Is there a solution? Yes, WGT needs to back off the deviations and strike a balance between "Unrealisticly low scores" and "Playability" whereby, most players who  are disgusted with game performance will still continue to play and not give up or play less because of too much interference from the V.E.M. and its' associated deviations.

Doc :)

RSS