My experience so far:)

rated by 0 users
Wed, Feb 6 2013 4:05 AM (18 replies)
  • PAGES
  • snikern
    39 Posts
    Mon, Feb 4 2013 9:21 AM

Hi everyone. 

Today it exactly 20 days since i joined WGT and i absolutely love the game. I had no knowledge about Golf when i joined and i had no idea of the difference between a 3 wood and a wedge. (i knew driver was the club you used on your first stroke from the tee, but i did not know what a tee was..lol.) That was my level when i started. 

So i had to learn a lot about Golf in a short time to be able to have a nice time playing, but luckily i did, and like i said. I love this game. And on top of that i think i'm starting to like the sport itself, because i caught myself watching a golf magazine on my tv the other day..:)

I'm very happy with my achievements so far. I reach Tour Pro on lvl. 31, witch i think is good. I have also made a Hole in One! That was amazing! I was jumping around and screaming like a little girl, so i wounder what my neighbors think:)  And i'm also proud of my 58 ft putt..:) But i did not jumping so much around then..lol

So far i have mostly played stroke play because i don't want to play public or join a CC before i really can compete (read win..hehe). I see on the leaderboards that  amateurs are just as good as tour legends so no reason for me to compete yet when i only can do 71-72 on a good day on a 18 hole course.. I need to shave 10 strokes of my play before i can compete on a decent lvl.  But that is something i'm gonna make:)

Just a few questions to the end:

1. What is the longest distance on a putt you should make? 

2. Is the fairway different depending on what tier you are?

3. I have the 400 cc Spider putter. What is the next putter i should get? I feel the spider is not very accurate.. I do not have so much money, so i need to buy smart. I'm current lvl. 37..

4. Will the drive go longer if i hit the ding, or is it just the accuracy a missed ding affect? 

Thanks for reading my post, and thank for any replay you leave:)

I'm gonna be active on the forums from now, and i'm looking forward to talk to you all..:)

Best Regard. 

Snikern.

• WGTicon
    12,511 Posts
    Mon, Feb 4 2013 10:36 AM

hi

thanks for the feedback, I am glad you're enjoying the game.

1. ideally it should be as close as possible since that means your approach was right on the money. there are no points given for longer distance putts, so I'd not try for it.

2. fairway is not different.

3. I would look for next putter in pro shop and pay attention for its attributes which are represented by dots.

4. 99.99% of the times, yes it will go longer

-wgticon

• borntobesting
    9,683 Posts
    Mon, Feb 4 2013 10:51 AM

snikern:
    3. I have the 400 cc Spider putter. What is the next putter i should get? I feel the spider is not very accurate.. I do not have so much money, so i need to buy smart. I'm current lvl. 37..

Any putter will be better than that thing. I had it.,Hated it and dumped as soon as 
    I could. I even went back to the starter until I got the Daytona. Even though the attributes show that the Spider is supposed to be better than the starter in reality it is not. At your level I would suggest the level 35+ Ghost Spider. It is a much better putter and will help you become a better player.  

• snikern
    39 Posts
    Mon, Feb 4 2013 11:34 AM

WGTicon:

hi

thanks for the feedback, I am glad you're enjoying the game.

1. ideally it should be as close as possible since that means your approach was right on the money. there are no points given for longer distance putts, so I'd not try for it.

2. fairway is not different.

3. I would look for next putter in pro shop and pay attention for its attributes which are represented by dots.

4. 99.99% of the times, yes it will go longer

-wgticon

Thanks for reply:)

In number two i was asking about the fairways because it seams to me like the ball stop more suddenly on the fairway now, then it did in the beginning for me. If its not the fairway that is more "sticky", it most be my new drive who i different:)

I changed from the 250 cr, pro+ driver to the lvl. 29 R11 in the same period as i went from pro to tour pro.. But since the average distance should be longer on the R11, i find it strange i hit shorter with it..lol.. And i assumed it was the fairway that changed when i went up a tier. I'm sure its nothing wrong with the R11, but its me who are either using it wrong, like hitting the ding far less then before, or have misread its abilities:)

Once again, thanks for reply. I learned a couple of things:)

• snikern
    39 Posts
    Mon, Feb 4 2013 11:52 AM

borntobesting:

snikern:

Any putter will be better than that thing. I had it.,Hated it and dumped as soon as 
    I could. I even went back to the starter until I got the Daytona. Even though the attributes show that the Spider is supposed to be better than the starter in reality it is not. At your level I would suggest the level 35+ Ghost Spider. It is a much better putter and will help you become a better player.  

I was in fact thinking of the level 35+ ghost spider. I see it has 1,5 dots more on precision, witch seems to be an big advantage. Also 0,5 dots better on balance and it has lower meter increments. With a couple of dots more it seems to me like this should be a keeper till i reach level 80+..

But i do prefer my current putter over the starter putter. I have made a few long putts with it, and i do not think its so bad. But i think i'm gonna follow your advice and go for this when my salary comes:) My biggest struggle for the moment seem to be the putting, and i only miss by inches.. So if this can help me pull off a few more putts its worth the credits..:)

Thanks for answer:)

Br, 

Snikern

• Rockitch
    1,022 Posts
    Tue, Feb 5 2013 2:58 AM

snikern:
    I do not have so much money, so i need to buy smart.

Then stop buying an upgrade with every level you advance. Everything you can buy now is useless before you have blinked your eye and the high level clubs you will want to end up with will cost you a good 10.000 credits (=$100) in total.

Furthermore IMHO it's completely useless spending your credits on balls, as long as you don't have your high level club set of choice and know the game and its courses a bit better.

If you really want to buy smart, you might find some useful info and other food for thought here.

Don't want to sound like a buzz-kill, but the way you are going at it, wgt will turn out to be a very expensive game (which is not buying smart).

Anyway, have fun.

R.

• snikern
    39 Posts
    Tue, Feb 5 2013 3:38 AM

Rockitch:
    Then stop buying an upgrade with every level you advance.

This is a very good advice:)

You are not sounding like a buzz-kill, and i appreciate your comment. I think i have all i need now till i reach level 80 or 90, so now i'm gonna sit back an enjoy the ride. And practice a lot. I know that is the key for success in this game, and not the number of dots on my clubs.   

I also want to express my gratitude to Mr. SuperKanga who gifted me the Ghost Putter. It was very kind, and i really hope i can return the favor some day. 

My experience just got a lot better after making this thread, and i recommend others to interact with other players to. My experience with the WGT community is very good so far:) 

• alosso
    21,059 Posts
    Tue, Feb 5 2013 3:57 AM

Flight, roll and overall length of the drives depends on some details:

- nominal length,

- trajectory (given in the characteristics),

- wind,

- ball type,

- spin applied,

- precision of shot (ding or not),

- ground characteristics (bounce).

Changing tiers may have invoked stronger wind, and changing driver changes everything else. Usually, the nominally longer driver should win :)

My additional 2 Pfennig on buying smart, based on your equipment:

- Stick with the putter unless you don't stand it any more. Chances are that practice and better shots win more than buying a new one.

- try cheaper balls. The custom WGT balls help compared to the Starter ball, at a reasonable price.

- check out your choice of  wedges against hybrid, provided you have a custom hybrid. Do you need 3 wedges below your PW, looking for even spacing with reasonable gaps, taking the punch shots into account?
    What about the gap in long shots?

The final word comes too late for you, alas for others:

Consider to buy a 3WD instead of a driver. You may have to wait some more levels for a good one (1) but it's two shots on long holes from one budget buy.

(1) my dream club was the lvl47 Rapture 3WD

• snikern
    39 Posts
    Tue, Feb 5 2013 10:01 AM

alosso:

My additional 2 Pfennig on buying smart, based on your equipment:

- Stick with the putter unless you don't stand it any more. Chances are that practice and better shots win more than buying a new one.

- try cheaper balls. The custom WGT balls help compared to the Starter ball, at a reasonable price.

- check out your choice of  wedges against hybrid, provided you have a custom hybrid. Do you need 3 wedges below your PW, looking for even spacing with reasonable gaps, taking the punch shots into account?
    What about the gap in long shots?

The final word comes too late for you, alas for others:

Consider to buy a 3WD instead of a driver. You may have to wait some more levels for a good one (1) but it's two shots on long holes from one budget buy.

(1) my dream club was the lvl47 Rapture 3WD

Thanks for letting me know all the details the affect the drive. There is a few things i haven't thought about and this will help me to improve my drives. So thanks a lot:)

When it comes to the putter. SuperKanga gifted me the level 35+ ghost putter, and i have to say its feels better then the spider. I just nailed a 71 ft put, so i definetly works. So when i get used to the powerbar i'm sure i will improve my putting compared if i still use the Spider. But of course, practice is the most important factor here:)

I haven't really used the 3 wood so much yet, because i feel its the putting i need to improve the most. So i play mostly short courses like St. Andrews, and there i not need a better 3 wood. Its the same thing with the hybrid. I do not really need it. Wedges on the other hand is something i use a lot at this time. I'm sure i could choose better, or smarter, but i'm gonna wait til i get a few more levels up before i'm gonna see what i should do about my wedges. Luckily they are not so expensive as the other clubs..:)

But the lvl 47 rapture looks sweet:)

Br, 

Snikern

• devonnnnn
    1,085 Posts
    Tue, Feb 5 2013 3:28 PM

Rockitch:

snikern:
    I do not have so much money, so i need to buy smart.

Then stop buying an upgrade with every level you advance. Everything you can buy now is useless before you have blinked your eye and the high level clubs you will want to end up with will cost you a good 10.000 credits (=$100) in total.

Furthermore IMHO it's completely useless spending your credits on balls, as long as you don't have your high level club set of choice and know the game and its courses a bit better.

If you really want to buy smart, you might find some useful info and other food for thought here.

Don't want to sound like a buzz-kill, but the way you are going at it, wgt will turn out to be a very expensive game (which is not buying smart).

Anyway, have fun.

R.

This is some very good advice, I have learnt that this game can get VERY expensive in a hurry. You really need to Judge just when you need new equipment, and then make it into a investment. IMO I found balls to be more important than clubs. Yes, the spin of a club is ok but the ball will spin more. I have always been a callways user for a long time now, so if you want a ball to try go for that.  

• PAGES
RSS