Sun, Feb 10 2013 11:30 PM (8 replies)
  • coronacowboy
    1 Posts
    Sat, Feb 9 2013 10:32 AM

hey guys, gals, just new here. does anybody want to talk me through

• Lobsterboy
    4,729 Posts
    Sat, Feb 9 2013 5:55 PM

welcome . . . get the best clubs / balls you can and practice practice practice . . . any particular questions you have enter them in the search bar . .

• Rockitch
    1,022 Posts
    Sun, Feb 10 2013 12:11 AM

All I can say is don't just start buying, before you have bit of a clear picture of what your ambitions are, how much money you don't mind spending, how much time you want to invest and how long that would leave you waiting for the good clubs that come available from close to level 80.

Gathering experience points is what's most important. This levels you up and thus unlocks in the end the better clubs. Ranked strokeplay games is what gives most xp points, besides playing consecutive days. Playing a 9 holes ranked stroke play game each and every day gives you a bit over 1100 xp points (after 6 consecutive days or so).

This way (ok, I played a bit more here and there) I've become level 83 within 4 months.

Here you can read up on my own quest for the right clubs.

Be warned: The balls you can buy wear within a couple of rounds. My advice: play the free ball at least until you have your high level clubs of choice and know the game and the courses rather well.

Have fun.

R.

• devonnnnn
    1,085 Posts
    Sun, Feb 10 2013 4:17 AM

Lobsterboy:

welcome . . . get the best clubs / balls you can and practice practice practice . . . any particular questions you have enter them in the search bar . .

Get the best AFTER u feel comfortable enough to a point where u learn yardages and such, cause its no good to just buy new stuff when you won't even know how to properly use it. Tho this game does require a lot of practice and learning.

• gsoup
    2,929 Posts
    Sun, Feb 10 2013 7:52 AM

id gather my losses, close my account and RUN.

its all up to you how much you want to spend,

all advise on this post is spot on.

just try to play them  all equally or you WILL BE LOST.

have fun.......

• ZioMio
    4,680 Posts
    Sun, Feb 10 2013 8:40 AM

gsoup:

Sounds like someone that has developed a 3 ball a day habit ;-)

• alcaucin
    9,041 Posts
    Sun, Feb 10 2013 4:56 PM

ZioMio:

gsoup:

Sounds like someone that has developed a 3 ball a day habit ;-)

I long for those days back... :-)

• Chinajohn
    1,190 Posts
    Sun, Feb 10 2013 11:30 PM

You should be able to get at least to amateur and preferably Pro with the starter equipment.

While you are doing that read all the game hint threads especially the one to the right about putting tips and chip and pitch tips. NOTE: The putting is your big learning curve 42% of your score comes from putting read the tips and learn them.

Practice and take notes, every time you make a slightly unusual shot (rough, sand etc) write down what you did, wind strength and direction, lie etc, that way next time you end up there for you will), you know what to do (or what to not do).

Once you get to Pro then start to equip with better clubs a 9.5 degree driver (the WGT Tour Pro one is a decent club and cheap), then get three wedges and ditch the hybrid.

Learn all the shots and know your clubs, practice shots, Bethpage back 9 esp #5 to #7 are good for practice as they have large areas to use. Set it up with low wind and go up and down the fairway with each club and each shot type, and average the distance (to negate the wind effect), do this for every shot type, full shot, no spin, backspin and topspin, punch no spin and backspin, then chip, pitch and flop. Write this all down, it should become your WGT bible and every time you change your clubs you do it all over again.

Once you have made tour pro or master, you should have read enough threads about clubs to start to decide what clubs you want to use.

Most people will use the starter set to Pro, then another set from Pro to Master then upgrade again to get to legend or tour legend (if they get there, I'm not sure I ever will).

Good luck, have fun and remember, IT'S ONLY A GAME!

RSS