Help › Forums

So it happened

rated by 0 users
Sun, Mar 10 2013 7:50 PM (10 replies)
  • PAGES
  • jsweetcr
    1,209 Posts
    Sun, Mar 10 2013 7:11 AM

Last night I was bumped up to Legend.  It was deservedly so as my score is in the 61's, I played well over 50 ranked rounds at the TM level, and over the past few months I have earned a fair amount of credits in RGs, although I have to say it was certainly done a lot earlier than I was hoping, but not surprisingly so.

Not writing this post to get kudos or congratulations, like i achieved some monumental thing. I have my eye on some clubs up at level 83, a mere 108595 XP away. Now that I have joined a lot of you in the parking lot playing from the tips I was actually hoping to find some people to play with, especially those at Legend and TL level, seeing as I think I will be playing a lot of AS, Match play and skins for the time being.  Although I have been playing for a while, I believe that this is where the real learning will begin and would love to meet new people and make new friends and learn and grow in the process, especially seeing as I never made a formal introduction in the forums when I began.

So here is my introduction, 6 tiers and 71 levels late. Jon, an American, living in Costa Rica, moderately addicted to this crazy game.

PS - moderately addicted, who am i kidding.

• renniw52
    5,385 Posts
    Sun, Mar 10 2013 7:46 AM

Way to go js. The most important thing now is, don't let it get the best of you. Other than driving from the tips, it seems other things get in the way of a good game from time to time. I won't go into specifics, people will think I am being negative or defining my own lack of skill. You will surely notice a few things that will make you shake your head. Work hard on the longer approach shots, and the putting, putting and more putting. Looking forward to teaming up for a few AS.

Renni

• jsweetcr
    1,209 Posts
    Sun, Mar 10 2013 9:23 AM

Thanks Renni for the advice and I won't let it do anything to me, certainly not bring me down.  Looking forward to learning how to play from here and learning a bit of course management and certainly the putting. I can't control  some of the stuff but Ill work on what i can control and try and have fun in the process

Look forward to some AS with you as well

• courteneyfish
    15,796 Posts
    Sun, Mar 10 2013 9:59 AM

Try a few rounds on Bethpage, it doesn't alter so much in length when you move up. Kiawah is best avoided for a while.

• Mesmorizer
    614 Posts
    Sun, Mar 10 2013 10:30 AM

courteneyfish:

Try a few rounds on Bethpage, it doesn't alter so much in length when you move up. Kiawah is best avoided for a while.

1st Gratz on legend and welcome to the back tees. I love playing any and all rounds so friend me if you like and if green I will play. As for the above advice it is totally correct. Beth is the least sticker shock of the back tees for sure. But the advice I am going to give you, dont worry one lick about average. Play as many ranked rounds as you can and learn from them. At Legend it takes 500 rounds before your average only goes down. Thats alot of rounds plus you learn tons from the good and the bad.

Good luck and Gratz again!

Mes.

PS: Shoot I am friending you make it easier! =0

• jsweetcr
    1,209 Posts
    Sun, Mar 10 2013 12:03 PM

Thanks Courtney for the advice and Mes too. Would love to play some rounds with you and that's the plan, just gonna play a ton of rounds, no worries now about plateauing out too soon. Can't even fathom playing that many rounds and even having an avg below 60 aqnd making TL. No need to even think on it, just play and have fun now

• alanti
    10,564 Posts
    Sun, Mar 10 2013 2:23 PM

Congratulations! I know of several players who have been TM for ages and are not trying to level up and avoid it like the plaque - I personally do NOT understand that mentality. So great attitude and you do deserve the kudos.

As previous posters said, do not worry about the average, these will come down and it is a new learning curve. The best way to earn XP is tournament play IMO. I can play 2x  9 holes in less time than 1 Alt game but alt is fun.

Every new level brings challenges but this is the biggest step, yes longer approaches but one advantage is you can no longer take a lot of shortcuts that you can from masters tees, taking out many of the risks.

I agree that BPG is a good course to start from, in fact a couple of tees shots are easier from legend tees, but play all courses. Most importantly enjoy the challenge and if I am green hit me up for a game.

• Steve442
    710 Posts
    Sun, Mar 10 2013 2:29 PM

I agree with alanti, play all the courses and above all have fun. Look me up if you want a round or two.

• CerinoDevoti
    3,232 Posts
    Sun, Mar 10 2013 3:18 PM

Some of the previous advice is spot on. A new Legend should play all the courses and ignore average for at least the first 250-450 rounds at that tier. Quitting games for average just teaches you to be a quitter.

• jsweetcr
    1,209 Posts
    Sun, Mar 10 2013 3:30 PM

Right on... I am not one for quitting or worrying about my average. Every time ive tiered up my avg has ballooned higher and then gone back down.

Im not in a hurry to make tour legend and thats assuming I can even ever get there. So as it stands this is where I am and will be for a long time and Im good with that.

Look forward to some rounds with you all. Thanks for the replies and if you can......keep it in the short grass

• PAGES
RSS