Help › Forums

Autism Awareness

rated by 0 users
Fri, Apr 12 2013 7:03 PM (13 replies)
  • PAGES
  • Megan22
    2,115 Posts
    Fri, Apr 5 2013 1:10 AM

I have a son named Michael.   He is Autistic.

He will never be able to work.  He will never be able to drive.  He will never have scrapes on his elbows or knees from playing outside with other children.   He will never fall in love.  He will never learn to cook....dance with a girl....take walks alone....read a novel....be married....go to a movie and quietly enjoy it....own a pet....own a home....pray with his own thoughts....go shopping alone....take a midnight walk....play golf....pick his own clothes....voluntarily look me in the eyes....and although he could recite and recognize the letters of the alphabet by the time he was one year old,  he will never fully understand the meaning of his words or mine.

About one out of every 88 children have an Autism Spectrum Disorder according to the CDC's Autism and Developmental Disabilities Monitoring Network.   Chances are that even if you don't know someone affected by Austism now....you will.

April is Autism Awareness Month.   Please visit http://www.autismspeaks.org/ and learn a little about it.   

One of the saddest aspects of being a parent to an Autistic child are watching how others react to him when they see he acts differently than most others in public, if he makes inarticulate sounds or acts out because he is upset with his surroundings.   They look at him like he is "weird" or "strange" or he's being unruly.  And these aren't other children I'm speaking of....these are adults.  I've had people chastise me for having no "control" over my son.  

If nothing else, it is important to be aware that there are children and adults who cannot control their actions.   And try to be a little understanding. 

I cannot say I wish for my son to be different.  Not for me.   I love him as he is and forever will.   

Thank you.

• courteneyfish
    15,796 Posts
    Fri, Apr 5 2013 1:36 AM

You are obviously a great lady and a wonderful mother. I saw a film a couple of years ago that made more aware of Autism, which in itself can't be a bad thing. It's a very good film and it made me cry, a lot. It's available on Amazon for under £4 and I'd recommend it to anybody. It's called "After Thomas." 

I wish health and happiness to you and yours.

• HWei
    534 Posts
    Fri, Apr 5 2013 1:59 AM

Magen

We also have an autistic son w/ ADS knowing it's hard but we're

taking strides day by day

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/c67.0.403.403/p403x403/533394_445937608818464_1761970907_n.jpg

• nirvananikkia7x
    1,445 Posts
    Fri, Apr 5 2013 9:09 PM

Wonderful post, Megan... Brought a tear to my eye.

I know you're a wonderful mother to him. He's very lucky to have you, heck anyone would be lucky to have you as their mother. You're smart, funny, powerful, and a strong human being. You're someone who I actually look up to (believe it or not!). You are the definition of strength.

Love you! =) 

• Tightrope
    1,072 Posts
    Fri, Apr 5 2013 9:20 PM

Saw a short film some days ago that I felt explained autism quite good. For many people it is just a word. Here it is:
    http://www.wimp.com/explainsautism/

• frappefort
    3,994 Posts
    Fri, Apr 5 2013 9:59 PM
    You have touched me , my thoughts are with you , love him, its all he ,s got i salute your courage Megan22. Francois (Frapp)
  • Rich1064
    739 Posts
    Sat, Apr 6 2013 5:59 AM

Hi Megs, thanks for sharing that with us.

My heart goes out to you and Michael. Life can be very difficult for a child with Autism for the reasons you have mentioned above and if more people were aware of this type of condition it would not only make life a little easier for the child but it would also lift a bit of the pressure on the parent or carer who continually feel the need to have to explain the child's actions to others. People can be unintentionally cruel through their own ignorance.

As you know I too have a son with a disability but I also have a dear nephew who has ADHD and a beautiful sister-in-law who tragically has Huntingdon's Disease. I know from experience how difficult it can be not only for the sufferer but also the parent/carer. I sincerely hope you have a strong circle of family and friends that offer you the support you and your son deserve. 

I always had you down as a 'Light and Fluffy' type of character Megs, for that I apologise. You obviously have a depth to you that has until now gone unrecognised by me. I have always liked you Megs but this post has instilled a deep admiration in me for you. 

I urge everyone who reads this to visit the link Megan has provided, 5 mins of your time reading about this condition is not a chore and it WILL give you a better understanding, which in turn will make you a better person. Knowledge is power.

Rich

• frappefort
    3,994 Posts
    Sat, Apr 6 2013 11:40 AM

+2  Rich  ,    well said   .  TY

• pdxdriver
    2,628 Posts
    Sat, Apr 6 2013 11:59 AM

Hey Megan

Just read your post,where i live in the uk we have one of the best autism schools around in the county.It certainly opened my eyes to these folks.Like you said people judge before they know the full answer,it made me change for the better.I wish you all my best and hope other people don't get you down.You sound like a gr8 mum and give a lot of love and understanding to your son.

Best wishes to you

pdx

• SuperKanga
    3,628 Posts
    Sat, Apr 6 2013 6:38 PM

Hi Megan,

For once in my life, I agree with every word said by Rich :))

I have 3 cases of different types of Autism in my family, and 2 of my children are at risk of H.D. Their mother is now in a home for H.D. patients only, and knows nobody :(

My heart goes out to you, and I pray you'll keep strong, for that's all you can do.

Lavish him with love, for he is precious :)

Rob :))

• PAGES
RSS