Help › Forums

Best Putting Balls?

Sun, Aug 31 2014 1:45 PM (25 replies)
  • hunter818
    50 Posts
    Wed, Apr 10 2013 9:01 AM

"I am just wondering out loud....

I am a Level 53 Tour Mistress.

I, for a short time played the Nike 20XI-X Balls until I found their durability to price ratio to exceed my (personal) cost ceiling.

However, with these balls, I putted like Inbee Park.

The Callaway Tour 'I' balls are the most equitable performing rocks in my price range... yet, I am finding a HUGE disparity between these and the Nike balls.

The Callaway balls feel like they always flatten out and roll through the breaks... This (like my actual putting shortcomings) forces me to under-read breaks and change the length of my back swing.

The Nike balls seemed to roll more true and floated off of the face of my MAX putter (which I luv and have no desire to change)...

I would like to make a little more hay around here before I get SEVERELY hamstrung at the Legend Tier.

Please help... In your experiences, are there Golf balls with "Optimum Putting Performance (more one than another)?"

Thanx

~ Hunter

• alosso
    21,060 Posts
    Wed, Apr 10 2013 9:29 AM

I never heard from the putting green that the balls differ in more than the meter speed.

+? -?

• hunter818
    50 Posts
    Wed, Apr 10 2013 9:34 AM

alosso:

I never heard from the putting green that the balls differ in more than the meter speed.

+? -?

"Thanks for this (sigh)... problem solved!"

• Rockitch
    1,022 Posts
    Thu, Apr 11 2013 5:33 AM

alosso:

What about forgiveness, spin and distance ? You say a dot more or less doesn't make any difference ?

R.

• Buggyyy
    1,963 Posts
    Thu, Apr 11 2013 5:37 AM

alosso:

What about forgiveness, spin and distance ? You say a dot more or less doesn't make any difference ?

R.

[/quote]

There is no forgiveness rating on a ball. A putter has very little to no loft at all. Putts should not have any spin on them... what foes distance have to do with putting besides how far you will bring it back? Like alosso said, the only think that makes a difference, if any, is feel.[quote user="Rockitch"]

• hunter818
    50 Posts
    Thu, Apr 11 2013 7:34 AM

Okay...

Most of you are experienced and analytical enough to acknowledge that "ball performance on the green" is NOT a technical issue... Ball manufacturers promise nothing, this is quite clear

This is obviously one of "FEEL" (As Buggyyy has eluded to)...

My question to the membership is "In your experiences... have you found a ball that above all others either really rolls true on the green OR have you (like in my opinion only) found a ball that seems to be UNRESPONSIVE (for lack of a better word)?

~ Hunter

• Buggyyy
    1,963 Posts
    Thu, Apr 11 2013 8:23 AM

All balls react the same on the green. The only thing that will determine how true a ball rolls are how accurate it is is based on the putter you are using.

• hunter818
    50 Posts
    Thu, Apr 11 2013 9:30 AM

Buggyyy:

All balls react the same on the green. The only thing that will determine how true a ball rolls are how accurate it is is based on the putter you are using.

Funny... if you read some of the product reviews within the pro-shop... more than one player will site that a given ball has more or less performance on the green ie: "it doesn't putt well" or "it does putt well".

Oh well... I'll give it up.

Suffice to say it's  "illusionary"

• Lizard69
    2,006 Posts
    Thu, Apr 11 2013 9:33 AM

Buggyyy:

Agreed J

A 10 foot putt requires the same strength hit with a callie/nike as it does with a starter ball.

I play tournaments with the callie z but have been messing around with the starter ball lately just for fun and putting wise, I notice no difference in putting strength needed.

My 5 cents

:-)

• hunter818
    50 Posts
    Thu, Apr 11 2013 9:49 AM

Lizard69:

Buggyyy:

Agreed J

A 10 foot putt requires the same strength hit with a callie/nike as it does with a starter ball.

I play tournaments with the callie z but have been messing around with the starter ball lately just for fun and putting wise, I notice no difference in putting strength needed.

My 5 cents

:-)

Your 5 cents worth is valuable... yet re-read my question.

I was not questioning any disparity in meter speeds, which has been mentioned over and over again... i asked if anyone has noticed that one ball or another may be truer while rolling in and amongst the breaks on a green. That it either flattens out and runs thru the break or falls off left or right... not that it "speeds up or slows down".

RSS