Kiawah Island

rated by 0 users
Mon, Aug 16 2010 10:03 AM (17 replies)
  • PAGES
  • KingOfTheCourse
    419 Posts
    Tue, Jul 27 2010 6:29 AM

RUSTY40:

Correction-The Master tees play from the Ocean tees @ 6874 yards..

Yes but the Dye tee's are what we play as masters.  Remember WGT messures the hole distance/course distance from the tee to the pin, while the USGA messures distance from the tee's to the middle of the green.

• RUSTY40
    255 Posts
    Tue, Jul 27 2010 7:28 AM

If you compare the scorecards from Kiawah and WGT (Master tees) you will see

that I am correct. We (Masters)  play from the Ocean tees. Go to Kiawah and check it

out. http://www.kiawahresort.com/golf/the-ocean-course/ratings-scorecard.php

• KingOfTheCourse
    419 Posts
    Wed, Jul 28 2010 6:42 AM

RUSTY40:

If you compare the scorecards from Kiawah and WGT (Master tees) you will see

that I am correct. We (Masters)  play from the Ocean tees. Go to Kiawah and check it

out. http://www.kiawahresort.com/golf/the-ocean-course/ratings-scorecard.php

The only reason I would doubt that is because I've played with guys who have played Kiawah in RL.  To me, even though the scorecards prove you right, I still think they might be.  But who knows, so maybe its time for Niv to come and correct us.

• TarheelsRule
    5,550 Posts
    Wed, Jul 28 2010 12:02 PM

I play at this course a great deal and there are three set of tees that are what I consider the back tees.  There is an Ocean tee that is basically where we as masters play from that is around 6850 yards.  There is a tee behind that playing at around 7350 yards and a slope of 77.3/144.   There is an additional set of tees that require permission to play that stretch the course out to over 7900 yards, places that make it so that it would require a great drive to get to the fairway.  They use a few of these tee boxes from time to time when they have tournies there, I have a picture of the group I was in that shows that card.

Kiawah is a great course and fun to play.  The firm fairways give you lots of roll, no cart parts so the carts that are allowed in the afternoons keep it firm.  Fairways are pretty wide and the water doesn't come into play that often, #17 is the only really water hole, a few others have water, canals etc. on them that come into play if you stray but all in all generous fairways.

The green speed is relatively slow in the summer, can't cut that low but in the fall and spring when the weather is nice, the greens can be very fast.  This course is a true gem and could host a major championship (it did host the Ryder Cup) but the issue is the course itself, not a great viewing course and I don't think they can ever make it one.

• overthetop2
    192 Posts
    Wed, Jul 28 2010 6:07 PM

We'll just have to see if it lives up to the hype of the toughest course when the 2012 PGA Championship gets played there :P...

But the course is easy in this game, i just hit a 67 on it with starter clubs and i could've shot a bit better too...

• TarheelsRule
    5,550 Posts
    Sat, Aug 14 2010 5:03 PM

It will be interesting to see how the course is set up for the PGA in 2012.  I suspect that they will have the tees at around 7,500 yards each day.  Since you can get some tough wind, although not normally in August, they will have to adjust tees on some holes from day to day.  Normal wind comes off the ocean so on about 15 holes you will have a cross wind which makes it tough.  Doubt they can make the greens as fast as they play in our WGT game for the PGA in August but they will be quick, much like they are today at Whistling Straits.  They can move the rough in a lot.  The fairways are very wide and firm, really there isn't much rough in play but they could grow it in from both sides by just letting it grow up a bit.  No real deep rough except at a few places, you are in the dune area if you are well off the fairways.  Sand traps, which are really only dune sand that is dug out will be a challenge.  You can play well out of it from the fairway, it is very firm but from green sides I find it very difficult, you have to really nip it to get spin on it and for most of us, that brings in a possible skull shot.  Still not the best place to watch from, similar to today's PGA but it will be a challenge.

• danohi50
    1,020 Posts
    Sat, Aug 14 2010 6:18 PM

Umm cant quit figure out why you say the slope at kiawah is higher...your figures

Kiawah 134  3rd place

St andrews 129   easiest

bethpage 144 hardest

oakmont 142 2nd hardest

• TarheelsRule
    5,550 Posts
    Mon, Aug 16 2010 10:03 AM

I agree danohi, the slope makes Kiawah third on this list.

• PAGES
RSS