Forums

Help › Forums

The anti-bagger suggestion

Wed, Jul 28 2010 12:33 PM (7 replies)
  • werksux
    241 Posts
    Tue, Jul 27 2010 2:31 PM

In discussion with a few guys in vent the other day I had an idea that seemed to be rather popular with some other folks.  I don't personally mind the pro sand baggers as usually they are somewhat easy pickin's but I also don't mind making a suggestion that will annoy the *** out of them either.

Since the inception of match play challenge the number players trying to "stay" pro instead of following the progression to master has increased, how about implementing a SECOND way to make that inevitable leap to Master.

If someone reaches a certain match play win percentage against pros (say 75%) or a certain win percentage against masters (say 40%) from a lower class it's pretty obvious that they more than have the ability to compete.  Once they obtain this win percentage force them into the next rank.  I'm thinking that something along these lines would make the attempts to sand bag a bit less attractive & lucrative for them.  Nobody likes a sand bagger. 

Perhaps there could be a piggy back to it as well where MATCH PLAY rank and STROKE PLAY rank are different. 

• UKCats
    165 Posts
    Tue, Jul 27 2010 3:18 PM

Very good idea. I think if they win a certain amount against Masters they should move up as well.

• mikeymike13
    40 Posts
    Tue, Jul 27 2010 7:42 PM

Simple solution is to make the MPC games rank just like the stroke play games. You will see a lot of baggers move up real quick. I never understood this concept to not count MPC games as ranked rounds and save stats. I would love to have all my stats saved.

WGT any thoughts on doing this?

• mikeymike13
    40 Posts
    Tue, Jul 27 2010 7:57 PM

werksux:
    If someone reaches a certain match play win percentage against pros (say 75%) or a certain win percentage against masters (say 40%) from a lower class it's pretty obvious that they more than have the ability to compete.  Once they obtain this win percentage force them into the next rank.  I'm thinking that something along these lines would make the attempts to sand bag a bit less attractive & lucrative for them.  Nobody likes a sand bagger. 

I like this idea but don't see it working due to the fact that most Masters are not true Masters. Just like when I moved to the Master rank it took me a month to win another MPC game against any pro.

Then this sandbagging thought came to mind. Keep them out of the RG games and I'm happy.

I always love to call them out in MPC games. I'll play any of them there. Always fun to have them challenge and get their *** handed to them but, it does hurt when you lose to one.. ;-\

• WoodFairy
    33 Posts
    Wed, Jul 28 2010 8:20 AM

My  only  objection to people I suspect  are "sandbaggers" are in stroke play  games where they max out there shot limit when they are  within feet from the hole. This spoils the game for the other players. Yes, I have witnessed it and it  is one of the few times I have quit mid-round.

As for complaining about "sandbaggers" in MPC matches, well I  have little sympathy,  as one post  as indicated, they are often looking  for an easy pickin by  playing people outside of their tier group. While masters (or pro's) look for easy  prey there will always be "sandbaggers"... call it  cosmic balance!!

Having a separate tier for match and stroke is  not feasible, as no record of the number of shots are taken into account (you can shoot over par and still win a hole).  Surely  the most  sensible idea is to only  play  against  opponents from ones own tier, then there is less chance of encountering  one, especially  as you move up the proverbial ladder, thus providing for better matched competition.

I was going to say that there may  be a point  in Ready-Go tourneys, but does it  really  matter as a good player regardless of  tier is always going to dominate the leader board. To my  knowledge these competitions are not  tiered, as such the  "sandbagger" argument is quite irrelevant.

Just a thought...

Cosmic blessing to you all  : )

• neildiamond11790
    1,115 Posts
    Wed, Jul 28 2010 8:46 AM

Just add a few stats to the game, and most of us can make our own decisions on who to play.

1)  birdies per hole in Match Play events

2)  weekly stats, monthly stats or even 10 day stats like putts per round 9 hole round, putts per 18 hole round, avg score in the past week or 10 days that update every week or 10 days or month

A member with a convenient 68 average, but birdies 50% of the holes in completely obvious.  Plus that players convenient 7 putt on the last hole of their last ranked round wont help them skew that figure.  Just a few more stats and we all can make better decisions. 

I like the idea of a pro beating a master 40% of the time, but like mentioned, not all masters shoot in the low 60's so that Pro could be playing masters with a high average and thats perfectly fine.

• marioh
    1,055 Posts
    Wed, Jul 28 2010 10:51 AM

How about a Pro with the following match play stats (I won't mention any names, though the person with these stats will know I'm talking about them if they see this).

vs Pro - 97%

vs Master - 87%

That's the person's winning percentage.   Pro tier, yeah right.

• werksux
    241 Posts
    Wed, Jul 28 2010 12:33 PM

marioh:

How about a Pro with the following match play stats (I won't mention any names, though the person with these stats will know I'm talking about them if they see this).

vs Pro - 97%

vs Master - 87%

That's the person's winning percentage.   Pro tier, yeah right.

Perfect example of someone who is AVOIDING moving up for personal gain.  I understand if they're a bit scared to jump into the shark tank and REALLY compete, nothing wrong with WGT giving them a little help in taking the leap.

Another example yesterday, caught a game with one of the baggers and I had forgotten to change my clubs and balls back after playing a CC Furthest From The Pin game.  Obviously with the free balls it's a little tough to play your normal game so I congratulated him & forfeited about half way through when it was obvious I wasn't going to maintain his pace by spraying my balls everywhere like Tiger Woods.  Caught up with him later with the RIGHT equipment & he ran like a little girl because he knew he'd have his hands full at best.  He was only looking for easy pickins & wouldn't play against real competition if given a choice.

It's those guys grasping on to pro tier like that it sure would be enjoyable to see them forced into the proper class & competitive level.

RSS