Forums

Help › Forums

Cruelty (Oakmont #9)

Fri, Aug 20 2010 1:21 PM (14 replies)
  • PAGES
  • Azrael
    19 Posts
    Sat, Jul 31 2010 3:52 PM

This is just cruel. I made this save from the 2nd bunker in front of hole 9 at Oakmont. It was going straight into the hole, but then it ran across some little bump and just went slightly to the right. Unbelievable..

• danohi50
    1,020 Posts
    Sat, Jul 31 2010 4:05 PM

Oakmont is a cold cruel mistress..I would like to see WGT move that put just a couple of feet towards the bunkers..that result didnt show it but the pin is unfair.

• wizbang360
    411 Posts
    Mon, Aug 9 2010 11:50 PM

IMO haveing every green as hard as st andy #2  is unfair,    thought I was getting good at this game,  but cant even break par at Oakmont.  Starting to think like soo many on here,   how is it possible to get a sub 60 round there. I mean really,  superhuman green reading skills .

• CharlemagneRH
    1,054 Posts
    Tue, Aug 10 2010 12:05 AM

I've missed multiple 2.5-4 ft birdie putts today for the same reason.  I hit my putts 1-1.5 ft past the hole, but sometimes they just seem to turn extremely abruptly... I'd aim at the side of the hole, even up to 1-1.5 hole diameters to the side of the center, but no dice.  I guess you're doomed to miss some, and it's not that I think there is a bug or anything... just disappointed.  Sucks to lose strokes like that in tournies where money is on the line.

• shakyjon
    87 Posts
    Sat, Aug 14 2010 3:12 AM

CharlemagneRH:

I've missed multiple 2.5-4 ft birdie putts today for the same reason.  I hit my putts 1-1.5 ft past the hole, but sometimes they just seem to turn extremely abruptly... I'd aim at the side of the hole, even up to 1-1.5 hole diameters to the side of the center, but no dice.  I guess you're doomed to miss some, and it's not that I think there is a bug or anything... just disappointed.  Sucks to lose strokes like that in tournies where money is on the line.

You should hear what the Pros say about Oakmont.  The winner of the last U.S. Open won it with a score over par.  The greens keeper took offense when, after a rain, one of those pros said it played easy.  They take pride in the difficulty of their course.  This game actually has it right.  The greens are hard, and putt faster than the conditions say.  I love this course, but probably only because it's local.

• neildiamond11790
    1,115 Posts
    Sat, Aug 14 2010 8:37 AM

You need to just realize that some holes, like #9 are just not a birdie hole, unless you hole something from the bunker or the rough.  All the other holes have their birdie chances, you just need to be on.  The guys that can shoot under 60, are not doing it every time.  But they know, just like everyone should know, the best place to leave your approach shot.  Aim for uphill putts and straight putts. 

Holes 1-9

1.  Left of pin, about a yard or two long

2.  Short and a little left (but the valley will usually make it still a right to left breaker)

3)  Short of pin

4)  anywhere close to pin leaves easy putt

5) short left leaves fairly straight

6) short and short left leave uphill putts

7) get it tight, but pin high right leaves easiest putt for me

8) happy with par, short of pin leaves mostly uphill

9) will aim for bunker, not going for birdie

Little practice in planning your next shot goes a long way.  Hope that helps on the front. 

• TarheelsRule
    5,551 Posts
    Mon, Aug 16 2010 10:05 AM

Hole # 9 is very unfair.  I just do as Neil said, play for the bunker and a par.  Anything above the hole is a three putt.  If you are left of the hole it is a difficult two putt.

• pinkgirl34
    59 Posts
    Tue, Aug 17 2010 5:31 PM

Because Oakmont is shorter than Bethpage and does not usually have rough guarding the green, I first thought it was easier than Bethpage, but it turns out to be harder because I find myself missing short putts on a regular basis. The greens certainly require lots of concentration when reading them. #9 is one of the holes where I'm not unhappy with a bogey at all, to be honest. Would be very happy with a par.

• ALByrd60
    224 Posts
    Tue, Aug 17 2010 6:17 PM

I LIKE TO REFER TO OAKMONT AS "JOKEMONT"

• danohi50
    1,020 Posts
    Thu, Aug 19 2010 11:03 PM

Arguably the two hardest holes @ WGT are 15 at BP  and 9 At Strokemont. The greens on both are the culprits. If they make a copy of Sahalee in Seattle also has a murderous green. If memory recalls its #18  maybe Mocha can elaborate here for me.

• PAGES
RSS