Forums

Help › Forums

Help Please

Fri, Jul 26 2013 4:45 AM (14 replies)
  • PAGES
  • adderal
    25 Posts
    Wed, Jul 24 2013 8:30 PM

First this is not a complaint... I would love to know when 40/50% or whatever the case may be actually means what it says. I have had times were proper adjustment works great and other when none was needed (have never reduced club power by the % for me thats never worked out). Is it when your closer to the hole its not as relevant or different courses were the % do not mean what they say ? 
    For over 40 rounds i have been ok with it now it seems it means exactly as it says ..example 40/50 rough right off the green has really meant nothing in the past now using the same shot the ball goes no were ... or it flies past . I some what understand sand,weeds,and the difference in the lay but i have never played real golf so maybe i'm confused ?? Just seems as of late its not as close as it was playing same courses and using same clubs ...help plz 

I am sure that moving up to master has nothing to do with it or does it ??

Thanks , Sean  

• chris5214
    1,937 Posts
    Thu, Jul 25 2013 12:02 PM

Sean, too many unknown factors about ur post .. for example, what kind of shot you use and whether spin is added or not .. for example, around the green from 40/50 i always use the flop shot .. take distance to pin, add or subtract elevation change; then add 4 yds to your shot .. give it a try

• egonweber
    365 Posts
    Thu, Jul 25 2013 12:13 PM

40/50% rough on distance i add 25-30yds, depense on wind etc, and closer to green, still not the side i add 10 with a wedgeshot, my examples are fullshot and no spin.
    Grenside is a way different case, in 40/50%rough i pitch with full backspin and add 3yd to distance, have holed several that way, 30/40% add 2 and 20/25% 1yd. Well it takes many shots to get them good but keep try, much depense on what wedge and irons you have as well, ihave atv-wedges and R11 irons. I'm just a medicore legend.

Egon

• filmslayer
    2,340 Posts
    Thu, Jul 25 2013 12:15 PM

and i find hitting the "ding" is a must from the thick stuff ...

• courteneyfish
    15,796 Posts
    Thu, Jul 25 2013 12:16 PM

The percentage shown is the amount of ball that is covered. 30% rough is different to 30% sand and 30% brush and 30% mulch.

• Stryder1261
    931 Posts
    Thu, Jul 25 2013 12:20 PM

I find the percent affects my shot  more 1st,  if its an eagle, birdie, or just trying to save Par. it may be just me...lol

But every course reacts differently and so does the green speeds, so say where a pitch/chip hit strong may work on one, its useless on another and yes a flop would have been the correct option!

My best advice would be to take notes on each course on index cards, the rough % , the green speed ! distance/elevation, club & shot type used,  then maybe chart outcome so the next time you can club up/down and know how hard to hit the shot, type of shot and the best club for the best outcome.

Still with WGT & VEM its a roll of the dice but I wish you much success ! we all get frustrated at times with wtf shots, keep at it ! and hope I have helped in some small way !

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Thu, Jul 25 2013 12:27 PM

adderal:
    I would love to know when 40/50% or whatever the case may be actually means what it says.

It always means the same thing-it's the amount of the ball that is buried. The type of shot and club you use is what is severely affected by this. You're talking about what is known as a "short game" as you get closer to the greens. The ability to "get up and down" is something you want to get good at and it requires use of all of the shots you have (punch, pitch, chip, flop and full.) The rough affects all of these shots differently and the only way you're going to know how is by trying them. They're not hard to learn and if you haven't already, read the Chip and Pitch Tips under the FAQs. If you read it, re-read it knowing now what you do.

As for the game getting harder as a Master, think of this VEM business-that's how it works. You get better, the game gets harder. GL.  :-)

• BuddhaDharma
    45 Posts
    Thu, Jul 25 2013 3:39 PM

Well done, excellent advice!

Vic (BuddhaDharma).

• adderal
    25 Posts
    Thu, Jul 25 2013 4:14 PM

YankeeJim:

adderal:
    I would love to know when 40/50% or whatever the case may be actually means what it says.

It always means the same thing-it's the amount of the ball that is buried. The type of shot and club you use is what is severely affected by this. You're talking about what is known as a "short game" as you get closer to the greens. The ability to "get up and down" is something you want to get good at and it requires use of all of the shots you have (punch, pitch, chip, flop and full.) The rough affects all of these shots differently and the only way you're going to know how is by trying them. They're not hard to learn and if you haven't already, read the Chip and Pitch Tips under the FAQs. If you read it, re-read it knowing now what you do.

As for the game getting harder as a Master, think of this VEM business-that's how it works. You get better, the game gets harder. GL.  :-)

Thanks .....vem ??

• adderal
    25 Posts
    Thu, Jul 25 2013 4:18 PM

egonweber:

40/50% rough on distance i add 25-30yds, depense on wind etc, and closer to green, still not the side i add 10 with a wedgeshot, my examples are fullshot and no spin.
    Grenside is a way different case, in 40/50%rough i pitch with full backspin and add 3yd to distance, have holed several that way, 30/40% add 2 and 20/25% 1yd. Well it takes many shots to get them good but keep try, much depense on what wedge and irons you have as well, ihave atv-wedges and R11 irons. I'm just a medicore legend.

Egon

Thanks, makes sense . I know there is some math involved and that's really what I need to know as a finance manager by trade if i can get math involved there is a solution ..Thx 

• PAGES
RSS