Help › Forums

first new topic tournement greens

rated by 0 users
Sun, Jul 28 2013 10:20 AM (12 replies)
  • PAGES
  • Cheryl294
    69 Posts
    Sat, Jul 27 2013 1:57 PM

I just finished a tournament at Kiawah Island  and I want to know how do u play the tournament greens ? e.g. I had a 35 ft. putt with a 1 in drop so I hit my putt at 35( 70 % and hit the ding a rarity for sure but a ding nonetheless) and  it went 50 ft.  I then had a 15 ft. putt with another small  drop 1 or 2 inches  hit my putt 10  feet and went 7 feet past the hole and on to the end. went from an eagle putt to a double boogie :(  So is  their a guide I can use to help with allowance for faster greens  also 4 very fast green speeds as well ,All I want is consistency in the game. The other day I hit a putt that landed on the hole, when I putt he putter down your couldn't   see the hole because putter and  the ball  completely hid it but  the ball was, according to the screen  02 from the hole ?

• Rockitch
    1,022 Posts
    Sun, Jul 28 2013 2:12 AM

Roughly: distance in feet minus drop (or plus elevation) in inches, then divide the outcome by 1.3 or multiply by 0,75 and add a little (for the latter you might not need a calculator) on uphill putts, subtract a little on downhill puts to compensate more or less roll.

It's not a formula that is 100% spot on all the time, but it's a good starting point. Further it's a lot of practice.

Have fun.

R.

• egonweber
    365 Posts
    Sun, Jul 28 2013 3:07 AM

Roughly i'd hit that putt 24.5 ft and maybe a bit +/- all depend on slope up/down and wind, when you get long putts wind have influence on roll. well i reduce tournmentspeed(legend) 1.4 before i reduceIadd elevation/slope, on short i add about 1ft to the calc. distance esp if it show 0up then i add 1.5. It works for me doing it that simple way. :) 

Egon

• 2DAMFLASHY
    1,141 Posts
    Sun, Jul 28 2013 5:01 AM

http://www.wgt.com/forums/t/80998.aspx?PageIndex=1

thats just for level or flat ground... i always add a tad of power to be sure it gets to the hole...

alot of folks have a formula and use a calculator... im too slow for that... but it can be found in a blog on here somewhere... gl gl ..

peace

• drmoose
    3,538 Posts
    Sun, Jul 28 2013 5:37 AM

dbl . post

• SwingingRoofer
    456 Posts
    Sun, Jul 28 2013 5:40 AM

wat I do n it works gr8 is in the fourm under tips theres charts for diff putters tells u how far to hit it on diff green speeds goes well with putter pal I rented putter pal for cheapest 10 cred then I got scotch see threw tape n put it over meter bar at bottom then copied the pixels  numbers with pen n same as shot pal now I have both free for life

• drmoose
    3,538 Posts
    Sun, Jul 28 2013 5:53 AM

The simplest formula I have found for tourney greens is, distance to hole, plus or minus elevation (expressed as feet ) plus 1.5 feet x .7. For severe drops or rises in elevation ( anything over 5 ") adjust accordingly. Your 35' 1"down putt I would play,

35-1=34 &1.5=35.5 x.7= 24.85 . Hit @ twenty five feet with no break on greens and you would be very close. For fast breaks ( left or right slopes) I add a couple feet to allow for extra distance the ball must travel to hole, but, then again my putting stats ain't that great. lol. Good luck.

Doc :)

• courteneyfish
    15,796 Posts
    Sun, Jul 28 2013 6:35 AM

And just make it more awkward there are 2 different tournament green speeds :-)

• keidan
    311 Posts
    Sun, Jul 28 2013 8:11 AM

Cheryl294:

e.g. I had a 35 ft. putt with a 1 in drop so I hit my putt at 35( 70 % and hit the ding a rarity for sure but a ding nonetheless) and  it went 50 ft.  I then had a 15 ft. putt with another small  drop 1 or 2 inches  hit my putt 10  feet and went 7 feet past the hole

Some of the putting charts might also reflect that the amount of power required for short and long putts is not linear.  So for longer putts you want to dial back some of that power if you are calculating based on a shorter putt under the same conditions.  -Keith

• PaulTon
    10,731 Posts
    Sun, Jul 28 2013 8:28 AM

All thats a bit complicated for me, with add a smidge here or there, too fussy.

35 ft putt 1 inch down : 35 -25%= 26ft. 26 -1 (for slope)= 25ft. 

• PAGES
RSS