Forums

Help › Forums

Kiawah Island #4

Thu, Aug 12 2010 1:03 PM (12 replies)
  • PAGES
  • bigdaddie1
    2,694 Posts
    Fri, Aug 6 2010 3:06 PM
    Is it just me, or dose everyone have this issue? I played K Island #4 @401yds pro level. The first shot went 235 yds. I took a 5 iron out for a 160+ shot and noticed my approach was 230, for a total of 465 yds. I played the second round, and on #4 I hit 230, and had a 215 approach for a total of 445 yds. Thought I was going mad!! Tried it one more time. I hit 205 ( shank) and still had a 223 approach shot, for a total of 428. Three different rounds and three different yardages. Anyone else see this type of variation on yardage? I never looked at the total yardage before, but it caught my eye today on #4.
  • b0geybuster
    2,574 Posts
    Fri, Aug 6 2010 3:31 PM

I believe most Yardages are measured in the middle of the fairway for the entire hole.  If you are off center the yardages may not be exact.

Cheers

• bigdaddie1
    2,694 Posts
    Fri, Aug 6 2010 3:37 PM

b0geybuster:

I believe most Yardages are measured in the middle of the fairway for the entire hole.  If you are off center the yardages may not be exact.

Cheers

thanks bOgeybuster, but even i can't hit that far off the fairway to achieve those yardages

• CharlemagneRH
    1,054 Posts
    Sat, Aug 7 2010 10:07 PM

258 + 173 = 431

I went about 3 yards far, so the hole played 428, which does seem a little long, but it is a bit of a dog-leg right.  (My tee shot cut the corner sharp, landing right next to the bunker on the right.  On another trial, the hole did indeed play something along the lines of 450 yards.)

The only thing that I found quite odd is that after a 258 yard teeshot, I was169 yards out, when I should've only been about 150 yards out (143 if the hole were a perfect, straight line.)  The approach plays slightly longer than its nominal yardage (I hit it 174 yards on my meter,) but that's only because you have to get it up and over a bunker.  If It weren't for that, I would've played the 169-yrd shot as 170 yards.

The hole does appear to play longer than the hole info claims, even adjusting for the 6-8 -degree dogleg, but at least the distance on the approach shot is accurate.  So long as you go by what your aimer's distance is telling you, you should be fine.

• TarheelsRule
    5,551 Posts
    Sun, Aug 8 2010 10:15 AM

That hole is sort of strange.  If you have ever played it, then you notice that the shortest way to the green is well right over by the traps in the fairway.  Hit it over there and you have only about 160 to the hole.  However as you know the further left that you go, the better your angle into the pin.  It is almost impossible to have a shot over the huge trap that you can stop although once in a while you can play right of the trap and pin, carry it to the green and have 8 foot to the pin.  I think the actual yardage is measured off the tee in a more straight direction than we play it.  In a practice round, hit a ball over to the right and see what I mean.

• b0geybuster
    2,574 Posts
    Sun, Aug 8 2010 7:27 PM

If i can get to 175 or lower on this hole for approach and the wind is right , 15-20 ft is not impossible, rather becoming more and more probable.

Cheers

• CharlemagneRH
    1,054 Posts
    Sun, Aug 8 2010 8:15 PM

I play it pretty simple.  I hit my drive on the left side of the sand trap, and then I do the same on the approach shot as well, hoping to hit just to the left of the lip, on the slight uphill slope, in order to kill the forward momentum of the ball.

It's definitely one of the holes that I birdie the least at Kiawah.  It's a tough hole... maybe even the toughest on the course.

• KingOfTheCourse
    419 Posts
    Tue, Aug 10 2010 5:41 AM

TarheelsRule:

That hole is sort of strange.  If you have ever played it, then you notice that the shortest way to the green is well right over by the traps in the fairway.  Hit it over there and you have only about 160 to the hole.  However as you know the further left that you go, the better your angle into the pin.  It is almost impossible to have a shot over the huge trap that you can stop although once in a while you can play right of the trap and pin, carry it to the green and have 8 foot to the pin.  I think the actual yardage is measured off the tee in a more straight direction than we play it.  In a practice round, hit a ball over to the right and see what I mean.

Alright Tarheels, I'm going out right now to try it and if I don't make birdie, your going to hear about how you ruined my 59 round. lol

• TarheelsRule
    5,551 Posts
    Tue, Aug 10 2010 10:10 AM

Hey King you can always shoot that 59 at Kiawah, you just have to pick up after 16.

I actually played this hole while ago. It was 432 from the master tees. I aimed well right and hit it just in front of the two bunkers in the right middle of the fairway. You can only hit your drive about 260 that way but I had 164 to the pin after a drive of 260 so pretty close to the yardage.
  • KingOfTheCourse
    419 Posts
    Tue, Aug 10 2010 12:03 PM

TarheelsRule:

Hey King you can always shoot that 59 at Kiawah, you just have to pick up after 16.

I actually played this hole while ago. It was 432 from the master tees. I aimed well right and hit it just in front of the two bunkers in the right middle of the fairway. You can only hit your drive about 260 that way but I had 164 to the pin after a drive of 260 so pretty close to the yardage.

Thanks for the support Tarheels....

• PAGES
RSS