Forums

Help › Forums

Are scores in the 50's or 18 holes for real???

Mon, Dec 18 2017 10:45 PM (17 replies)
  • PAGES
  • davidmichael56
    6 Posts
    Wed, Aug 21 2013 1:38 PM

Recently, in an 18 hole tourney is a course not to be named, the leading score for 18 holes was a 51. 51? Seriously? That's 15 birdies and 3 eagles. How is that normal for real golf? 21 under on a par 72 course. Really? If it was a best ball scramble, everyone exaggerated their handicaps, and used foot wedges, you would be hard pressed to shoot 21 under. I ended up 6 under, felt pretty good about that until I realized I was still 15 shots behind the leader...for 18 holes! C'mon. What is going on here? I think any score better than 10 under should be questioned. Maybe someone that shoots a 51 should prove that they can actually shoot a 21 under round. Please. Any thoughts out there???

• Jerm65
    1,413 Posts
    Wed, Aug 21 2013 2:05 PM

The folks shooting those 51's have repeatedly proven that they can.  (yes, they really ARE that good)

The course in question (STA, I presume?), has 5 relatively easy eagle opportunities from the white tees, and at least 3 other holes that are potential eagles with a favourable wind.

To be honest, I think it may take a 49 to win that particular tourney.

And no, this definitely isn't normal for real golf.  So it's probably a good thing this isn't real golf....

• alosso
    21,054 Posts
    Wed, Aug 21 2013 2:07 PM

You should be here long enough to know that this ain't real golf but a virtual golf game. Despite all the variations built into the game, it's still a computer game program which may be more predictable than reality.

Furtheron, the equipment allows for a performance unknown to mortals on real courses.

Add that restarts and multiple starts are possible, it might not be surprising that someone achieved a 49 under "easy" conditions after 33 hours "gaming".

There are a few videos on youtube proving the skills of top players.

• srellim234
    2,077 Posts
    Wed, Aug 21 2013 2:20 PM

Most of them are legitimate.

This game is not a golf game. It is a golf themed computer game. Most of those low scores are shot by game players who take advantage of the unlimited play aspects of the tournament. They quit the round and start over again when they get a bad shot or a bad score on a hole. Thus, by the time they actually post an 18 hole score they may have played the first hole 1000 times, the second hole 950 times, the third hole 900 times, etc. until they finally got to hit 50 or 51 shots in a row that yielded the low score posted.

If tournaments were single play you would still see the occasional great player who hit it the first round but there wouldn't be nearly the volume of low scores you are looking at.

They will never be single play,though. Those players are investing a lot of credits (money) in golf balls starting those tournament rounds over and over. The unlimited play aspect of  tournaments must be a huge contributor to WGT's bottom line.

Some of those tournaments have conditions that are less difficult than those players tiers, too. A Legend or Tour Legend caliber player, playing from forward tees with little wind, playing with the best equipment, will be throwing darts with wedges for eagle the entire round.

• BubbaCrusher007
    1,567 Posts
    Wed, Aug 21 2013 2:24 PM

davidmichael56:
    That's 15 birdies and 3 eagles. How is that normal for real golf?

Not only that, I still have that 3rd degree sun-burn on my head because this REAL GOLF game didn't give me a hat!! unreal

• war4him
    51 Posts
    Wed, Aug 21 2013 2:24 PM

ya its called uding "cheat programs"

• borntobesting
    9,679 Posts
    Wed, Aug 21 2013 2:30 PM

And until just recently we were able to aim much more precisely than is possible in real golf.Using both camera angles and zoom made it possible to go right at the pin.  Or aim to a spot that will take the ball to the pin.In real golf even the best players just aim in a general area. This is especially true with the long irons.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, Aug 21 2013 2:32 PM

Try 4 eagles and 14 birdies for 22 under at Kia at the Golf Holiday Summer Classic. LOL

Fair is fair, it's for everybody and from the White tees. Hell, even I eagled all 4 of the 5's myself on the way to a 57 and I left an eagle out there on #3 which is driveable. :-)

• Tonto0206
    460 Posts
    Wed, Aug 21 2013 2:45 PM

For me, restarting is like admitting defeat - no can do

Hi Ho

• thebigeasy707
    5,885 Posts
    Wed, Aug 21 2013 3:56 PM

davidmichael56:
    I think any score better than 10 under should be questioned.

why?

-10's actually a pretty lame score and in an 18 hole RG you wouldn't even win back your entry fee.

davidmichael56:
    Maybe someone that shoots a 51 should prove that they can actually shoot a 21 under round.

there's as much of a case for proving some normal players can actually shoot a 61 as there are for some top players like Dan shooting a 51.

some players are just better than others......there's those who can do and those who cannot do....that's life I guess.

it's off white tees anyway. i don't even bother playing off the forward tees.

• PAGES
RSS