Help › Forums

A few observations: WGT vs RL

rated by 0 users
Fri, Aug 13 2010 8:12 AM (2 replies)
  • toripyne
    195 Posts
    Thu, Aug 12 2010 12:49 PM

Love the game, and I'm hooked.

here are a few things that I've noticed for differences between WGT and RL that I have a bit of an issue with:

wedges on greens:  in real life, of course, if you had a large mound or fringe or any other obstacle between you and the hole and you were on the green, you would break out a wedge and chip, flop or pitch the ball over the obstacle.  

On WGT, this doesn't work.  You can't hit a wedge on the green as far as I can tell.

fairway bunkers: in real life, your tee shot trickles into a fairway bunker, you get a good lie, you're 180 from the hole, so you break out your 180 club (anything from 3-5 iron, 7w, rescue club, etc), and you hit the ball 180yds no problem (assuming you know how to hit this kind of shot, which I do all the time).

On WGT, same scenario (usually a 10-15% lie), you try the same thing, ping it, and the ball goes 30yds.  Let me know if anyone has seen otherwise.

averages/handicaps:

Now, I'm not entirely certain about how this works in WGT, but here is what I understand:  for your average, WGT uses the best 10 of your last 14 rounds to calculate your average.  Pretty straight forward I think.  BUT, I would like to know if they take course difficulty (slope/rating) into account.

I know you real life golfers with a handicap understand this, but for those who don't, let me explain a bit:

If you go out and shoot even par for your local municipal course that's an easy little course, then go shoot an 82 at Bethpage Black, or some equally hard course, your score at BPB may count as a better round.

So....does my 71 at BPB vs my 64 at St Andrew's count as a lower score towards my average?

Thanks

• shakyjon
    87 Posts
    Fri, Aug 13 2010 7:49 AM

Just to let you know, you can chip or pitch while on the greens, I've done it.  Just don't let the greens keeper see you doing it. :-)

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Fri, Aug 13 2010 8:12 AM

toripyne:
    n WGT, this doesn't work.  You can't hit a wedge on the green as far as I can tell.

Yes you can but with severely reduced results. Look here for more...

http://wgt.com/forums/p/12424/78365.aspx#78365

toripyne:
    On WGT, same scenario (usually a 10-15% lie), you try the same thing, ping it, and the ball goes 30yds

Bunker walls will knock your shot down in a hurry. You don't actually see the ball hit the wall but the result is as if you did. Taking that long iron with the flatter trajectory doesn't always get the ball up fast enough. A convenient rule of thumb is to see what the caddie suggests. Often times it's a hint. Oakmont traps are a good example. As Chip-out traps you'll never get out of them with more than what the caddie suggests.

toripyne:
    So....does my 71 at BPB vs my 64 at St Andrew's count as a lower score towards my average?

No. Your average is roughly your last 14 rounds with the 4 highest thrown out and the more recent ones are counted a little more.

RSS