Forums

Help › Forums

NFL Help please ...

rated by 0 users
Tue, Sep 10 2013 4:48 PM (64 replies)
  • DaddysKat
    3,554 Posts
    Sat, Aug 31 2013 5:34 PM

Where I work, they run an "NFL Spread" game.  Since I don't have much knowledge of the NFL and absolutely no idea how to choose a team with the line, I'm hoping those of you NFL Gurus out there can help me out.

Here's what I have for Sep 8th and 9th:

Cin @ Chi ... Chi - 2.5                              Sea @ Car ... Sea - 2.5

Oak @ Ind ... Ind - 8.5                               Min @ Det ... Min - 3.5

NE @ Buf ... NE - 8.5                                Ten @ Pit ... Pit - 6.5

Atl @ NO ... NO - 2.5                                 KC @ Jac ... KC - 2.5

AZ @ SL ... SL - 4.5                                   GB @ SF ... SF - 4.5

NYG @ Dal ... Dal - 2.5                             Phi @ Was ... Was - 2.5

Monday Night Tiebreaker:

Hou @ SD ... Hou - 2.5  Tiebreaker total score - both teams: ____________

So ... anyone wish to give me their picks?  I'll tally up everyone's picks then use the democratic approach to choose (majority wins).  Don't forget to include the line when you choose (i.e. Chicago must beat Cincinnati by 3 in order to cover the line).

Thank you all sooooooo much!

Kat

Edit:  I have until Friday, Sep 6th to turn in my picks.

• pjctas0822
    4,591 Posts
    Sat, Aug 31 2013 5:45 PM

Teams are pretty well matched on ANY GIVEN SUNDAY. Go with your gut and Luck.

• DaddysKat
    3,554 Posts
    Sat, Aug 31 2013 6:18 PM

pjctas0822:

Teams are pretty well matched on ANY GIVEN SUNDAY. Go with your gut and Luck.

I think I'm better off picking teams via "the binary method".  That's where you pick a random number between 249 and 16,383 (in this case), converting that random number to binary then picking the teams based on zeros and ones (home team is picked if the number is zero and the away team gets picked if the number is 1).

I don't have much of an NFL gut, so that method is out ... maybe darts?

Okay ... I guess I need a bit of enticement ... whoever picks the most wins will receive a sleeve of golf balls.  I'll put in my picks on Thursday night (9 PM UTC - 8)

• Ducati916
    1,116 Posts
    Sat, Aug 31 2013 6:31 PM

DaddysKat:

Where I work, they run an "NFL Spread" game.  Since I don't have much knowledge of the NFL and absolutely no idea how to choose a team with the line, I'm hoping those of you NFL Gurus out there can help me out.

Here's what I have for Sep 8th and 9th:

Monday Night Tiebreaker:

Hou @ SD ... Hou - 2.5  Tiebreaker total score - both teams: ___40_________

So ... anyone wish to give me their picks?  I'll tally up everyone's picks then use the democratic approach to choose (majority wins).  Don't forget to include the line when you choose (i.e. Chicago must beat Cincinnati by 3 in order to cover the line).

Thank you all sooooooo much!

Kat

Edit:  I have until Friday, Sep 6th to turn in my picks.

• Mushy01
    2,567 Posts
    Sat, Aug 31 2013 6:35 PM

Try the good old Dip Doo method........tried binary once , but dip doo was way more efficient ;-)

• DaddysKat
    3,554 Posts
    Sun, Sep 1 2013 1:41 PM

Converting 6977 to binary, here are my picks ... 

DaddysKat:

Monday Night Tiebreaker:

Hou @ SD ... Hou - 2.5  Tiebreaker total score - both teams: ____ 44 ____

Also, I will be completely reversing the above picks ... which means I could end up with a 6/7 and 7/6 worst case or 0 for 13 and 13 for 0.  I'll do the same for you, Ducati.

• DaddysKat
    3,554 Posts
    Mon, Sep 2 2013 9:48 PM

Bump ♥ 

• MBaggese
    15,367 Posts
    Tue, Sep 3 2013 10:13 PM

Wow, so early to play via spreads...I don't start watching football untill the WS is over...crimeny...or I'd have no life;)

Kat, for week one (as you're not a handicapper, knowing trades/injuries), look at last years results...assume each division winner is as strong as they were...that's 8 picks there to choose from...better if they are not playing each other;)

Step down to the WC teams and (again, no HC'ing) pick them.

Straight up picking is tough enough, and picking against the spread is a real art...but...good thing (I think) for you, you have no team allegiance and through out the year can mathematically pick against the spread...and leave ya gut intact.

• MBaggese
    15,367 Posts
    Tue, Sep 3 2013 10:18 PM

Oops...forgot my picks;)

DaddysKat:

Monday Night Tiebreaker:

Hou @ SD ... Hou - 2.5  Tiebreaker total score - both teams: ___Total 38...Houston wins 24 14_________

• Stryker800
    38 Posts
    Wed, Sep 4 2013 8:19 AM

Cin @ Chi ... Chi - 2.5                              Sea @ Car ... Sea - 2.5

Oak @ Ind ... Ind - 8.5                               Min @ Det ... Min - 3.5

NE @ Buf ... BUF + 8.5                               Ten @ Pit ... Pit - 6.5

Atl @ NO ... ATL +2.5                               KC @ Jac ... KC - 2.5

AZ @ SL ... SL - 4.5                                   GB @ SF ... SF - 4.5

NYG @ Dal ... Dal - 2.5                             Phi @ Was ... Was - 2.5

Monday Night Tiebreaker:

Hou @ SD ... Hou - 2.5  Tiebreaker total score - both teams: ___38_________

RSS