Forums

Help › Forums

Virtual U.S. Open Qualifiers, New Tiers, New Clubs, and More

rated by 0 users
Tue, Jun 16 2009 11:49 AM (137 replies)
  • jaylor
    4 Posts
    Mon, Jun 1 2009 2:50 PM

tell me how to reach the par 4 12th if the wind is in your face?

• EvanEls27
    1 Posts
    Mon, Jun 1 2009 11:24 PM

This game is ridiculous. I played for a couple weeks and had no trouble figuring out how to score in the mid 60s on other courses, even though they give you nothing to work with. Playing Bethpage is simply retarded. How can one be expected to play a 7200 yard course with a driver that can barely hit 210 some of the time. You can't even reach fairways, let alone GIRs. The least they can do is give you a driver with sufficient distance to reach the fairways.

In real life, I average between 280-320 yards off the tee so this game is in no way realistic for me. It makes no sense to try to simulate the US Open, having people hitting 210-220 yard drives - what is the point?? The difficulty in a US Open is in managing to stay out of the deep rough, strategy when you hit it in the rough, and figuring out extremely fast greens, it is NOT about trying to reach fairways with a driver that goes 210 yards. Obviously, this game doesn't understand or try to simulate those things. So much for a "virtual" US Open. This game is a joke and a disgrace. I don't  blame anyone for being frustrated and quitting the game. Figure out how to actually simulate a US Open.

• TwoSteps
    5 Posts
    Tue, Jun 2 2009 12:46 AM

Newbie here - just shot 82 with standard clubs.

Reckon with more practice and the right wind, mid 70s is possible. But i don't wish to upgrade right now,

which is the only way i can reach the fairways on some of the holes e.g. 5,10. It's not a free competition if

yyou're forced to buy the Pro clubs to get competitive. Maybe, just maybe, i could scrape qualification with

more practice, but what's the point? No chance of winning the final.

So great game, great comp, just spoiled by the lack of a level playing field. Probably won't be back....

• nolimt735
    3 Posts
    Tue, Jun 2 2009 10:31 AM

TwoSteps it is possible.  Before I posted my 74 which is not within the cut I only upgraded my driver to Tour Starter and posted a 75.  It takes practice and awesom course management skills to shoot low.  I have had a 72 coming into the last three holes only to bogey two of them or double one of them.  So it can be done.  There are really 5-6 birdie holes on the course, which you have to take advantage of.

• MavZee
    34 Posts
    Tue, Jun 2 2009 9:58 PM

OK so how many pages back now did we hear from WGT?

Some more info on OUR given info to your site would be wonderfull.

Cheers

• WGTalex
    2,087 Posts
    Thu, Jun 4 2009 11:05 AM

Hi everyone, just wanted to update you on our upcoming plans for this month. We plan to move the Pros to the middle tees, and give the higher tiers clubs that hit farther. Thanks for all your feedback so far.

• Hateraid
    21 Posts
    Fri, Jun 5 2009 8:46 AM

Driver distance shoudl be at least 290  - 300 and 3 wood at least 240.  There is no par 4 on the planet that can't easily be reached in two (otherwise you couldn't have a standard green in regulation (2nd shot on a par 4) which would obviously violate some PGA rule/logic).

• jbhaferkamp
    1 Posts
    Fri, Jun 5 2009 9:08 AM

Just finished my first round at the Virtual Open and I experienced this for about half the round. I either couldn't hit the first fairway or barely got there. There were a couple of par 3's I couldn't hit, also. I thought it was because I've neglected playing and building up my guy. I don't know. Don't think I could get it in the fairway, but I could walk out there right now and hit it 225 yds. and I haven't played in a while.

• SonofAnarchy
    130 Posts
    Sun, Jun 7 2009 11:14 AM

to be honest i would be happy if the starter clubs(ones i use) would land not roll to there designated lenth. for instance the driver states 225yrds now if would drive 225 on the fly consistantly(not including the roll)i think it would make a huge difference. or maybe it wouldnt...hehe...i dont know, just a thought i had ;-).

even with wind in ur face it would still drive 220 with a shorter roll...insted of hitting 190 with 11mph wind in ur face, with a tail wind it would land 225-230 with a longer roll. that  way your really only adding 10-15 more yrds per driver without really changing the club stats.

in short, make the ball FLY the distance the club states not fly 210yrds and maybe roll to its stat lenth.

what do i know im just a pro with a driving avrg of 220 ;-)

jay

• shark23
    10 Posts
    Sun, Jun 7 2009 12:35 PM

I just started a few days ago and i played Bethpage. It is a tough course and ya I only have the beginner set, but come on. Even if I buy the new clubs I would still have a hard time making birdies or even par. I can hit farther than this in real life with my real TaylorMade R9 which I can hit 280 plus. If you change the loft then you can say the club can hit farther. If the loft is 9 degrees instead of 10.5 it will go farther with lower trajectory. Try that to help out. I will still play because it is still fun but a change would be nice. Until then I will stick with my starter set.

RSS