Forums

Help › Forums

Virtual U.S. Open Qualifiers, New Tiers, New Clubs, and More

rated by 0 users
Tue, Jun 16 2009 11:49 AM (137 replies)
  • Weirsy
    84 Posts
    Sun, Jun 7 2009 2:02 PM

Wow - we got some big hitters in "real" life. 280-320, 280+, etc... Listen folks Bubba Watson leads the tour with 310.4 and Corey Pavin brings up the rear at 253.6 so I'd be pretty suprised to see your "averages" higher than the pros. Hey, I knock the odd one over 300+ as well, but average ? I think not. But this is virtual, so build in the software that as you swing better, you get longer, but to make this game realistic, other things will need to get more difficult, namely the putting.

• shark23
    10 Posts
    Sun, Jun 7 2009 2:32 PM

Sorry I didn't know it was a crime to hit it 280 and have a scratch handicap. My bad I hit it 80 yards and shoot 100 a round if I'm lucky. If you want to play Weirsy you might be able to beat me now.

• lilrob88
    870 Posts
    Sun, Jun 7 2009 7:51 PM

This game has me on the verge of a mental breakdown....HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! damn cutline keeps going down and down. I cant keep its. Its pretty near impossible at this point. I GIVE UP!!!!

• Weirsy
    84 Posts
    Sun, Jun 7 2009 8:15 PM

In "real" life or virtual Shark ? Either way, I'm up for it. Now wouldn't that be a great tourney WGT could hold. Weekend tourney with your combined virtual and real score. Then we could finally see who can shoot their virtual 64 and how and then see the 300 yard average scratch golfers do their thing. For some reason, I don't think I'd witness either.

• TonyBoom
    3 Posts
    Thu, Jun 11 2009 1:19 PM

I'vce enjoyed the game; but I have to agree with those stating that the distances for the clubs are unrealistic. This true even for the longer "purchased" clubs. And, the "forgiveness factor is much harder on the longer clubs. I would think that irons should be the less forgiving ones, instead of the drivers. A little more distance on the Drivers and fairway clubs would go a long ways towards improving the game; especially when you hit the "sweet spot"!!!

BOOMER

• bluescouse
    1,185 Posts
    Sat, Jun 13 2009 8:06 AM

I can't believe you think the putting should be harder Weirsy my friend. I can't hole a damn thing from more than 4 feet!

Sean

• dorkfeatures
    712 Posts
    Sat, Jun 13 2009 5:26 PM

Hi Bluescouse,

"Cant hole a thing from more than 4 feet" Oh - I think not - you're a bit better than that !! Well your stats certainly suggest so anyway???

A Master with an aveage of 67+ can certainly putt a lot better than you suggest. Good try though lol

Cheers

Doug ( The Red heart of Manchester) :-)

• WaterTrap
    95 Posts
    Sat, Jun 13 2009 7:01 PM

I mentioned in another post we should call the Guinness Book of Records because we have the largest group of 300 yard hitters in the world.

Look at a guy like Mike Wier or Jim Furyk.  It is not about distance.  It is about control and strategy, choice and execution.

I want to point one thing out.  Not once have you seen a top player here brag about their home score.  They dont relate.

If I could hit a drive with the accuracy I have here, in real life, I would give up any extra yards in a heart beat.

• BruceMo
    1 Posts
    Sun, Jun 14 2009 11:51 AM

I'm new to the site this week, the Virtual US Open sounded like fun.  Unfortunately, it's not, due to the assumptions and limitations of your code and design, NOT because Bethpage Black is a tough course....

The most glaring flaw in your logic is starting everyone at the HACK tier.  This limits what you can do with the starter clubs.  Instead, you should start without a tier, and only assign a tier after 5 rounds, just like the USGA handicapping system.  If I can't play, I'll earn HACK status, but don't put me there by default and limit what I can do within your game structure....

As much as you'd like to try to imitate real life...no, I won't be 'buying' a golf game....and I won't be wasting any more time on your game any longer.

• Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Sun, Jun 14 2009 12:12 PM

uh, ok.  Buhbye

RSS