Forums

Help › Forums

Golf Frustrations

rated by 0 users
Sat, Aug 28 2010 9:12 PM (8 replies)
  • OldBeachdog
    39 Posts
    Fri, Aug 27 2010 12:47 PM

Arrrgghh ... just like the real game.  I was playing a super front 9 at SA ... 4 under par coming up to my nemesis ... #7.  One slow click on the tee and a ball lost in the bushes on the right.  Compensated with a quick  click and ended up in the fescue on the left.  Hacked away and ended up with a quod bogey on the hole killing my great round...  pout.

BTW ... Oakmont is a killer.  Can't buy a birdie on that course.

• borntobesting
    9,685 Posts
    Fri, Aug 27 2010 1:12 PM

OldBeachdog:

Arrrgghh ... just like the real game.  I was playing a super front 9 at SA ... 4 under par coming up to my nemesis ... #7.  One slow click on the tee and a ball lost in the bushes on the right.  Compensated with a quick  click and ended up in the fescue on the left.  Hacked away and ended up with a quod bogey on the hole killing my great round...  pout.

BTW ... Oakmont is a killer.  Can't buy a birdie on that course.

Your nemesis is #7 at SA. Mine is #17 at Kia. This afternoon I was playing my Country Club tourney at Kia and was -6 going into #17. 2 balls in the lake later I had a quad bogie 7 and ended up -2. 

• pinkgirl34
    59 Posts
    Fri, Aug 27 2010 6:43 PM

I've had my fair share of difficulties on #7 at St. Andrews AND #17 at Kiawah. Once playing a 9-hole singleplayer game, back 9, I was 5 under par thru 7, and made triple on the 17th hole. At the #7 at St. Andrews, I once tried to play safe by aiming to the left fairway but got my ball in the bunker and it took me four more shots to reach the green. There sure are quite a few holes on WGT in which one mistake can result in a very big number.

• Sargenjd01
    366 Posts
    Sat, Aug 28 2010 6:40 AM

not sure what you guys are doing wrong on SA#7 but I love this hole. I can birdie it most of the time. I very rarely adjust the aim point but depending on the wind I may adjust a bit left or right. Try clubbing down when you have a strong wind to your back to a 3 wood. You can also put backspin on the ball if you find yourself always running up to the bunker. Wedges at SA are essential to a good score there. If you are not sure what wedges to equip with search "wedges" in the thread  search box------------------------------------------->

A good wedge shot to the pin is very easy even with a 20 mph cross wind. While the game technically does not have a draw or fade you can draw a ball into the pin. Lets say I have a 20 mph cross (right to left) wind and 79 yards to the pin. I will take my 90 yd wedge (Z Satin 60W) and stop it on the left line of the 2nd blue area (not the first line). This will bring the ball back into the pin. I have two examples in my profile videos if you want to see what I am talking about. As for #17 on KW the key is aim point and getting the meter just right, a tough hole but with practice 98% of time you will avoid the water. GL and happy golfing.

• Richard4168
    4,309 Posts
    Sat, Aug 28 2010 6:52 AM

Here's a link to nivlac's pro shop comparison chart. It's very useful if you want to buy the correct clubs for your game.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sat, Aug 28 2010 7:07 AM

Here's one for ya-play into the right trap on SA7 on purpose. Add 1 wedge to the shot and you are birdie close every time. That trap usually gives you a 30-40% lie at about 72 yds. A 90 yard wedge with backspin hit around 90% puts you right there! Knowing this lets you bomb away, just stay right of the left side trap.  

• Stryder1261
    931 Posts
    Sat, Aug 28 2010 9:16 AM

Hit hole in one at 17 Kiawah and birdie it quite often. #7 at St Andy's is fairly easy to me as well.

The real Killer is # 15 on BPB !!!!! 

• pinkgirl34
    59 Posts
    Sat, Aug 28 2010 6:26 PM

#18 at St. Andrews can also result in a very big number if you make foolish moves. If your second shot comes up short it'll roll down to the mound below, and if you don't chip it past the hole it'll just come back to your feet, I've once made a triple-bogey on that hole when it took me 3 chip shots to get it onto the green. The same thing can happen on #14 if the approach shots comes up short.

• Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Sat, Aug 28 2010 9:12 PM

I'm with Sarge... Love the 17th at Kiawah... that hole has saved many a Match Play round for me..

15th at Bethpage is the devil himself, with the 17th at St.Andies a really close second.

RSS