Forums

Help › Forums

What is gravity?

Thu, Aug 14 2014 10:08 AM (36 replies)
  • ithurtswnipee
    891 Posts
    Sun, Aug 3 2014 11:19 AM

Now tossing out of a car window, might look like a "curve ball" from inside, but is actually coming out straight (assuming no spin/wind) as an arrow.

I dsagree. if the car is moving forward then Newton's law still rules. The ball will not leave the car as an arrow shot at a 90 degree angle to the car. The ballwill be traveling in a forward motion as it leaves the car as the law states. It is already in motion and will continue it's forwad travel until something acts upon it.

Such as gravty or the laws of thurmal dynamics of the balls resistenceto the atmosphere.

• donsprintr
    2,063 Posts
    Sun, Aug 3 2014 11:40 AM

Gravity is what keeps you from floaing away into outer space Alex ... (or did it?) ...

• dacrash
    475 Posts
    Thu, Aug 7 2014 10:59 PM

ithurtswnipee:
    An object can not occupy  two places at the same TIME

Im not a physicist but I believe that that quantum theory states just that.  An object can be at ALL places at the same time.

Google it, it is mind boggling. 

note: I didn't notice the threads date.  Apparently I replied earlier also.

• alexk345
    1,148 Posts
    Thu, Aug 7 2014 11:28 PM

Gravity is glue of universe. Gravity unites. Without gravit we do not exists. 

Without gravity no atom. No neutron. it goes deeper and deeper...An invisible force that pulls everything and stop at right places.

gravity is mother of universe. Its not crushing you into earth...

gravity never pushes anything away...interesting

• Jimbog1964
    8,378 Posts
    Fri, Aug 8 2014 1:00 AM

alexk345:
    gravity is mother of universe. Its not crushing you into earth...

Not for want of trying:)

• mkg335
    5,491 Posts
    Fri, Aug 8 2014 1:17 AM

The Strong Force is responsible for the binding of nuclei.  This force is so strong that it binds and stabilizes the protons of similar charges within a nucleus.

The Gravitational Force exists wherever there is matter.  This means that the larger the body, the stronger the force. But on the scale of individual particles, the force is extremely small, only in the order of 10-38 times that of the strong force.

In a nutshell, the force holding an atom together is stronger than the force that's trying (and failing) to hold the universe together, since every galaxy is flying away from every other galaxy at ever-increasing velocity...notwithstanding our eventual collision with Andromeda, which, if we're lucky, will occur before the rent comes due.

• ithurtswnipee
    891 Posts
    Thu, Aug 14 2014 10:08 AM

Great pic   jimbog, watch the guys head when the ball hits the girls head. Which leg does he seem to move? This is a cool optical illusion.

While watching the guys head when the ball hits the girl it looks like he moves his left leg away. that is the normal brain reaction. To move the nearest part of your body away from the danger.

And of course the practicing quarterback seems to know a bit about gravity also.

RSS