Notables:

• MLB Hall of Famer Willie Mays is 83
    • Britian's own Tony Blair is 61
    • Foo Fighters' guitarist Chris Shiflett is 43
    • Author Jeffery Deaver is 64
    • Director Stephen Gaghan is 49
    • Guitarist Davey Johnstone is 63

Actors/Actresses:

• One of my favorite actors ... George Clooney is 53.  George ... you always said "I won't get married again because I'm just not good at it!" ... What are you thinking?  (or are you???)
    • Naomi Scott is 21
    • Tom Bergeron is 59
    • Emily Alyn Lind is 12
    • Lynn Whitfield is 61
    • Rosie Marcel is 37
    • Alan Dale is 67
    • Adriana Caselotti (Disney's voice of Snow White) (1913-1993)
    • Amy Hunter is 48
    • Susan Brown is 68

Today's tribute videos:

First, one of my all time Bob Seger songs ... who doesn't Bob?

Next ... She played "Glenda" in the Broadway musical, "Wicked" ... Kerry Ellis.  If you've never seen the play, you're really missed out on an awesome show.  (Sorry about the video quality ... the sound in this clip is awesome however.

Finally ... the show that rocked the world ... imagine sitting down to dinner with the radio on and hearing this for the very first time ... I think I'd pee my pants if I hadn't known it was "just a story" ....

Have a wonderful day, everyone!

• BubbaCrusher007
    1,567 Posts
    Tue, May 6 2014 9:24 PM

Ahh yes, back in 72. I took my girlfriend lisa to the Howell Armory to see Bob Segar at a dance in Howell Michigan (I'm from Fowlerville Mich.).

I got to meet Bob because I walked up to him and asked him for a guitar pick. He smiled and handed me a pick and signed the program for me too.

My girl friend was hot that night and we had a blast. And Bob went on to some great things in Music with his Silver Bullett Band and the sound track for RIsky Busines as you said

What memories,,,,Sometimes at night,,I see their faces, I feel the traces they left on my soul,,,

These are the memories,,that make me a wealthy soul,,,OH YEAH,, these are the memories that make me a WEALTHY soul,,,,yeah

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Wed, May 7 2014 8:00 AM

Way to go Bubba! That was a beautiful collection of words from days past...really nice ~SP ~

May 7

1328 - Louis VI the Roman ~ Duke of Bavaria

1530 - Louis I Conde ~ French leader of Hugenots

1574 - Innocent X ~ Pope

1748 - Olympe de Gouges ~ feminist revolutionary

1812 - Robert Browning ~ Poet

...in a letter dated January 10, 1845, Mr. Browning wrote these words to Elizabeth Barrett ~ New Cross, Hatcham, Surrey ~

I love your verses with all my heart, dear Miss Barrett, - and this is no off-hand letter that I shall write,.....

1840 - P.I. Tchaikovsky ~ Russia ~ Composer

1885 - George "Gabby" Hayes ~ "The one and only" ~ Actor

in 1789, America's first ball was held in New York in honor of President George Washington, who'd taken the oath of office a week earlier. ( His wife, Martha, did not attend; she was back in Virginia, attending to family business. )

~ see ya ~

• DaddysKat
    3,554 Posts
    Wed, May 7 2014 9:44 AM

Very nice post, Bubba!

7 May

Today's tributes:

• Composer Johannes Brahms (1833 - 1897)
    • Actor (and singer too) Gary Cooper (1901 - 1968)

Notables:

• NFL Hall of Fame Quarterback Johnny Unitas (1933 - 2002)
    • Author Michael Rosen is 68
    • Singer Teresa Brewer (1931 - 2007)
    • Guitarist Phil Campbell is 53
    • Drummer Bill Kreutzmann is 68
    • Country Singer Terry Allen is 71
    • Pianist Janina Fialkowska is 63
    • Author Volker Braun is 75

Actor/Actresses:

• Traci Lords is 46
    • David Tomlinson (1917 - 2000)
    • Breckin Meyer is 40
    • Darren McGavin (1922 - 2006) ... if you've never seen "A Christmas Story", he plays the father ... wonderful movie.  It's in my Christmas collection.
    • Anne Baxter (1923 - 1985)
    • Roger Perry is 81

Tribute Videos:

First, a bit of classical music, written by Johannes Brahms:

And now, I found evidence that not only can Gary Cooper act, he can also sing ... check out this clip I found from the Jack Benny show ...

Have a great day everyone!  Keep it in the short grass!

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Thu, May 8 2014 6:16 AM

Gotta love classical ~ Thanks to Sister Kat and Brahms

May 8

1893 - Francis Quimet ~ 1913 US Open

1326 - Joanna I of Auvergne ~ Queen of France ~ croaked kinda young

1537 - Victor Amadeus I ~ Duke of Savoy

1753 - Phillis Wheatley ~ First published black poetess (giant demand for that)

1786 - Thomas Hancock ~ Founded British Rubber Industry, and handy they are

1846 - Oscar Hammerstein

1884 - Harry Truman ~ 33rd President ~ B00M!!

1895 - Bishop, Fulton Sheen ~ but not related to Charlie 

~ also ~

in 1541, Spanish explorer Hernando de Soto reached the Mississippi River (and went skinny dipping with a young sailor)

in 1784, Antoine Lavoisier, the father of modern chemistry, was introduced to the gUiLLi0TInE with grim results during France's Reign of Terror

How about those WGT Avatar invention dates? With an old replay? c'mon

• DaddysKat
    3,554 Posts
    Thu, May 8 2014 10:57 AM

Wazzup Sis ... no comment on Gary Cooper's singing prowess?  LMAO.  Sadly, he sings better than I do!

8 May,

It's a "notable rich" day today ... in fact, so rich I had a real tough time picking my tributes ... hope you like what I've selected today!

Tributes:

• Singer Enrique Inglesias is 39
    • Singer Ricky Nelson (1940 - 1985)
    • Singer Darren Hayes is 42
    • Singer Joe Bonamassa is 37

So coulda been tributes:

• Gary Glitter - Rock and Roll (1 & 2) ... ya hear it anytime you go to an NBA game ... now ya know who did it.  He's 70 today.  He has the biggest hair I've ever seen on a guy (and "biggest" is an adjective not usually used to describe hair).
    • Katy B is 25 ... check her out.
    • Philip Bailey is 63.

Notables:

• Comedian Don Rickles is 88
    • Drummer Alex Van Halen is 61
    • Singer Anthony Field is 51
    • Singer Matt Willis is 31
    • Singer Toni Tennille is 74 (it was that goofy song about rodents knockin it out that dumped her from the coulda been list!)
    • NFL Hall of Famer Ronnie Lott is 55
    • Retired NFL Coach Bill Cowher is 57 ... he now peddles Time Warner cable!
    • Boxer Sonny Liston (1932 - 1970)
    • Composer Brian Tyler is 42
    • Singer Philip Bailey is 63
    • Singer Candice Night is 43
    • Pianist Mary Lou Williams (1910 - 1981)

Actors/Actresses: 

• Melissa Gilbert is 50
    • Stephen Amell is 33
    • Matthew Davis is 36
    • David Keith is 60

Tribute Videos:

For the FYPs that don't have a clue, here's one of those tunes many FOPs will surely recognize ... Enrique Inglesias video "Hero" ...

Now ... a total FOP tune ... I've never before heard this guy, but I'm sure many of you FOPs have.  I immediately fell in love with this guy ... er, I mean this song ... enjoy ...

I know the announcer that introduced Ricky goes by some kinda animal name ... SquirrelNutz ... who is he? ... what comes to mind is 'Worthog Jim' ... but I know that's not right.

Now for my Aussie friends ... Aussie born singer Darren Hayes is the lead singer of Savage Garden, plus he has several solo songs.  I've chosen one of his solo tunes ...

Finally (blame them singers bein' born on the 8th ... I'm just workin' here!) ...

Up-and-comer Joe Bonamassa ... move over slow hands ...

I've heard the acronym for Thursday, but I'll use the words that make up said acronym ...

Sure Happy Its Thursday ... try not to step in it ... it might just belong to VEM!

• newcastleb
    1,813 Posts
    Thu, May 8 2014 12:30 PM

DaddysKat:
    I know the announcer that introduced Ricky goes by some kinda animal name ... SquirrelNutz ... who is he? ... what comes to mind is 'Worthog Jim' ... but I know that's not right.

when WAS that clip from???  Don't recognise the face, but  the voice.... 'Wolf Man Jack'.  You ever seen the film "American Graffiti?

Thomas

• DaddysKat
    3,554 Posts
    Thu, May 8 2014 2:22 PM

newcastleb:
    You ever seen the film "American Graffiti?

Thanks Thomas ... no, I've never seen American Graffiti.  I have seen Grease though!

I knew the anouncer had something to do with an animal ... I just couldn't think of what it was because I didn't consider a "Manimal" type creature.  lol.  Warthog Jim!  ROFL!

• newcastleb
    1,813 Posts
    Thu, May 8 2014 11:35 PM

DK

I asked about American Graffiti because 'Warthog Jim' (too much LA smog methinks  lols) played himself in the film, and his radio show playing on the car radio's kinda ties the storyline together.

Thomas

• DaddysKat
    3,554 Posts
    Fri, May 9 2014 12:15 AM

newcastleb:
    I asked about American Graffiti because 'Warthog Jim' (too much LA smog methinks  lols) played himself in the film, and his radio show playing on the car radio's kinda ties the storyline together.

Wha???  I thought you said his name was "Wolfman Jack!?!"

Lol ... Mushy confirmed it for me (Wolfman ... not warthog) ... so I'm good!

RSS