4,925 Posts
    Mon, Jun 23 2014 9:03 AM

~ Way to G0! to Miss Wie! ~

June 23

47 BC - Pharaoh Ptolemy XV of Egypt

1160 - Johannes de Matha ~ French Saint

1534 - Oda Nebunaga ~ Jap Warlord

1703 - Maria Leszczynska ~ Queen of Louis XV of France ~

1763 - Josephine Martiniques ~ Empress of France; wife of Napoleon ~ He wrote the following to her in 1797

~ I love you no longer; on the contrary, I detest you. You are a wretch, truly perverse, truly stupid, a real Cinderella. You never write to me at all, you do not love your husband; you know the pleasure that your letters give him yet you cannot even manage to write him half a dozen lines, dashed off in a moment ! What then do you do all day, Madame ? What business is so vital that it robs you of the time to write to your faithful lover ? What attachment can be stifling and pushing aside the love, the tender and constant love which you promised him ? Who can this wonderful new lover be who takes up your every moment, rules your days and prevents you from devoting your attention to your husband ? Beware, Josephine; one fine night the doors will be broken down and there I shall be. ~

What a "Gentleman !

1874 - Edward VIII ~ King

~ Bye the Bye...

in 930, the Worlds oldest Parliament is established

in 1298, Duke Albrecht von Habsburg is Crowned King of Germany

then in 1683, William Penn signs a friendship treaty with Indians in Pennsylvania; the only treaty "not sworn to, nor broken"

1776 The final draft of the Declaration of Independence is submitted to Continental Congress

and in 1784, the 1st US balloon flight with 13 year old Edward Warren aboard

in 1922, at WGT's very C00L, Royal St. George, Walter Hagen crafts a sterling 300 to claim the 57th British 0pen

in 1963, easy swinger Julius Boros goes to the quite snotty "The Country Club" in Mass, and slings a snotty, yet easy going 293, to become the 63rd US Open winner

then 1975 in muggy, muggy Illinois at Mighty Medinah, Lou Graham takes the heat to apply a 287 and becames US Open King #75

and in 1978, Young Hollis Stacy wins The 33rd Womans US Open ! It was an all Lady Event !

~ See Ya Around ~   

• DaddysKat
    3,554 Posts
    Mon, Jun 23 2014 10:25 AM

23 June,

Todays tribute:

Only one today ... and this one is for the British singer/performer Kate Victoria Tunstall (more well known as KT Tunstall), who turns 39 today.

Notables:

• Singer Jason Mraz is 37
    • Singer June Carter-Cash (1929 - 2003)
    • Producer Joss Whedon is 50 ... so loved Serenity and the Firefly series!
    • Scientist Alan Turing (1912 - 1954) ... amazing with his breakthrough algorithms relating to AI.
    • Guitarist Stuart Sutcliffe (1940 - 1962) ... the unknown Beatle!
    • Singer "Duffy" is 30
    • Singer Glen Anzalone is 59
    • Director Bob Fosse (1927 - 1987)
    • Singer Lauren Bennett is 25
    • Guitarist Myles Goodwin is 56
    • Singer Glen Danzig is 59
    • Singer Caitlin Rose is 27
    • Drummer Steve Shelley is 52

Actors/Actresses:

• Selma Blair is 42
    • Melissa Rauch is 34
    • Frances McDormand is 57
    • Joel Edgerton is 40
    • Connor Jessup is 20
    • Blake Harrison is 29
    • Zen Gesner is 44
    • Ted Shackelford is 68
    • Emmanuelle Vaugier is 38
    • Billy Wirth is 52
    • Bryan Brown is 67
    • Aaron Ruell is 38
    • Miles Fisher is 31
    • Joe Taslim is 33
    • Kate Melton is 22

Tribute Videos:

Here's KT's first international hit song ...

And I just love this breakout song of hers ...

It's another beautiful day in paradise ... hope it's as beautiful where you are!

Have a wonderful Monday, everyone!

edit ... wow ... talk about one messed up post ... hopefully I got this thing a bit better organized than the original.  sorry all!

• borntobesting
    9,684 Posts
    Mon, Jun 23 2014 11:38 AM

SweetiePie:
    in 1963, easy swinger Julius Boros goes to the quite snotty "The Country Club" in Mass, and slings a snotty, yet easy going 293, to become the 63rd US Open winner

Actually "The Country Club" in Brookline Mass is far from snotty. It even allows sailors to play free anytime. Or at least they did in 1968 when I got to play there.

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Tue, Jun 24 2014 9:41 AM

borntobesting:

SweetiePie:

Actually "The Country Club" in Brookline Mass is far from snotty. It even allows sailors to play free anytime. Or at least they did in 1968 when I got to play there.

Sorry Joe, I printed that via second hand info and my impression of Brookline in general. I've not played there. I love the posture and gesture taken towards the sailors...I wish we had the same at the VA....

June 24

1343 - Jeanne de Valois ~ Queen of Navarre

1535 - Joan of Spain ~ Queen Consort of Portugal

1771 - E I Du Pont ~ French Chemist

1860 - Mercedes of Orleans ~ Queen of Spain

1893 - Roy Disney ~ you know

1895 - Jack Dempsey ~ "Manassa Mauler" ( anyone know the origin of that nickname ?)

1899 - Chief Dan George ~ Actor

~ plus ~

in 451, the 10th recorded sighting of Hailey Comet. I wonder when in solar history that gigantic, granite hard snow ball was nudged from the grip of the Kuiper Belt to begin the trip

in 1298, The Rindflaisch Persecutions ~ Jews of Iphauben, Austria are massacred

in 1314, The Battle of Bannockburn; Scotland regains independence from England

in 1322, Jews are expelled from France...for the 3rd time

in 1374, a sudden outbreak!!! of St. John's Dance causes people in the streets of Aachen, Germany to jUmP & TwiTcH and experience hallUcinaTioNs until they collapse from exhaustion....we call it the "jitter-bug"

then in 1441, Eton College is founded by Henry V

in 1509, Henry VIII is Crowned King of England

then in 1540, Henry VIII commands his 4th Wife, Anne of Cleves to hit the road ~ BYE

and in 1648, Cossacks slaughter 2,000 Jews in Ukraine

in 1664, The colony of New Jersey is founded

in 1841, Fordham University opens in the Bronx

then in 1843, Vincenzo Soliva decrees that no Jew can live outside the ghetto in Italy

in 1853, via the Gladsen Purchase, President Franklin Pierce throws Mexico $10 million for 26,670 sq miles in Arizona & New Mexico

in 1880, "O Canada" is first sung

and in 1897, in Topeka, hail pelts & injures 26 successfully

~ Peace ~

• DaddysKat
    3,554 Posts
    Tue, Jun 24 2014 11:07 AM

24 June

Today's tribute:

Drummer Mick Fleetwood is 67 today

Notables:

• Director Robert Downey Sr  is 78 (his son is Iron Man!)
    • Guitarist Jeff Beck is 70
    • Singer Chris Wood (1944 -1983)
    • Singer and Reggae Reggae Sauce creator Levi Roots is 56 ... check out his Calypso Burger recipe when you get a chance!
    • Author Kathryn Lasky is 70

Actors/Actresses:

• Mindy Keling is 35
    • Minka Kelly is 34
    • Joe Penny is 58
    • Betsy Randle is 59
    • Peter Weller is 67
    • Rafi Gavron is 25
    • Michele Lee is 72
    • Curt Mega is 26
    • Iain Glen is 53
    • Nancy Allen is 64
    • Tom Lister is 56
    • Liane Balaban is 34
    • Max Ehrich is 23
    • Adrienne Shelly (1966 - 2006)
    • Al Molinaro is 95
    • Lotte Verbeek is 32

Tribute Video

There really wasn't much to choose from, everyone ... a bit a slim pickin's for the 24th.

Jeff Beck is an awesome guitarist and Mick Fleetwood is a drummer.  Levi Roots gave up his singing career to pursue a cooking show (check out his recipes on youtube when you get a chance ... great summertime recipes).

So ... here's one from The Mick Fleetwood Blues Band ... and an added bit of humor from Al Molinaro ...

And Big Al ...messing around on the set of "The Odd Couple" ...

Enjoy your Tuesday, everyone this side of the International Date Line!

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Wed, Jun 25 2014 8:37 AM

DaddysKat:
  • Guitarist Jeff Beck is 70
  • Hey Sister Kat---by Father speaks of an album released around 1968 by Jeff Beck with then unknown singer Rod Stewart. He claims it was a dandy.

June 25

1373 - Johanna II ~ Queen of Naples

1755 - Princess Natalia Alexaievna of Russia

---hah, it happens

in 253, St. Lucius begins reign as Pope

in 1080, Wibbert of Ravenna is chosen as anti-Pope

then in 1096, !st Crusade slaughter of Jews of Werelinghofen, Germany

plus in 1298, The Rindfleisch Persecutions - 250 Jews are killed in Rutlenburg, Germany

in 1630, The fork is introduced to American Fine Dining by Gov Winthrop

in 1798, US passes Alien Act allowing the President to deport dangerous aliens

whoa, in 1867, 1st barbed wire patented by Lucian Smith of 0hio

Then in 1876, a flamboyant, arrogant, "not the sharpest knife in the drawer....actually not in the drawer" sometime 'Maj General' George Armstrong Custer leads the 7th Cavalry on a ride to Little Big Horn where all are well received by rowdy Sioux & Cheyenne indians who party hardy and celebrate "Custers Last Stand". Lore says George was the only corpse not scalped...which shows a lot of class and self-control by the Indians, considering the long, flowing, exaggerated, blond/red, "Wild Bill Hickok" knock-off hairdo that Custer sported. Much self-restraint....

1926 - Royal Lytham - 61st British 0pen - 291 - Bobby Jones-----------I'm suprized by some non-creative WGT names here...yet Jobby Bones would have been cool and creative. Better still, a cross between Doug Tewell & Fuzzy Zoeller.....Fuzzy Tewell

1932 - Fresh Meadow, NY - US Open - 286 - Sene Garazen

~ I-Bay ~ 

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Thu, Jun 26 2014 8:01 AM

June 26

1575 - Anne Catherine of Brandenburg ~ Queen of Denmark & Norway

1730 - Charles Messier ~ Astronomer who catalogued the "Messier Objects" ~ as an easy question, for a suprize prize, what is M-31 ?

1742 - Arthur Middleton ~ Signer of the Declaration of Independence

1819 - Abner Doubleday ~ Baseball ? anyone

1898 - Willy Messerschmitt ~ German Aircraft Designer

*other stuff*

in 1284, The Pied Piper lures 130 children of Hamlin away......

also as nutty, in 1483, The Duke of Gloucester appoints himself King Richard III of England--hardy-har-har

in 1498, the toothbrush is invented

B00M!!! in 1807, lightning skillfully hits the bulls-eye----a gunpowder warehouse in Luxembourg----230 folk bite dust

in 1870, Wagner's Opera "Valkyrie' premiers in Munich

in 1894, Mr. Karl Benz of Germany receives US patent for gas-driven auto...and I'm mighty tickled and pleased that he did

in 1896, 1st Movie Theater in US opens...to get in, cough up 10 cents

And, in 1925 over at Prestwick Golf Club, Jim Barnes tinkers a 300 to win the 60th British 0pen

~ ohh-la-la, Yellow Cally's for Hpurey ~

• borntobesting
    9,684 Posts
    Fri, Jun 27 2014 2:51 AM

Joseph Terrill Rhoads June 27 1946. Makes me 68 today.

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Fri, Jun 27 2014 8:01 AM

borntobesting:

Joseph Terrill Rhoads June 27 1946. Makes me 68 today.

Our very own Joe. A stand-out, stand-up level 101 Dude' with multiple Double Eagles---must be nice----HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!  His moniker, "Borntobesting" sure fits him...as he 'Bested' his 50 year love of 'cigs'...

June 27

~ lesser notables ~

1462 - Louis XII ~ King of France

1550 - Charles IX ~ King of France

1869 - Emma Goldman ~ Anarchist----it so figures

1880 - Helen Keller

~ plus other stuff ~

in 1542, Juan Cabrillo claims California for Spain

in 1652, New Amsterdam (NYC-Manhattan or the 'Apple', or simply the filthiest city in America) enacts the first speed limit law----what? 1 gram?

in 1693, 1st Women's magazine is published in London

in 1778, The Liberty Bell came home to Philadelphia

in 1847, New York & Boston linked by telegraph wire

in 1867, Bank of California opens doors

and in 1893, The Great Stock Crash on NY stock exchange

in 1903 at the great Baltusrol Golf Club in NJ, Willie Anderson wins The US Open

in 1931, the 3rd Ryder Cup is won by the US, 9-3 at Jack's Scioto CC in Columbus

then in 1933, at Southport & Ainsdale in England, Great Britain wins 6 1/2 to 5 1/2 at Ryder Cup #4

in 1936, the 71st British 0pen is claimed by Alf Padgham with a 287 at Royal Liverpool GC

in 1950, back at Scioto, Chandler Harper wins the 32nd PGA Championship

and in 1959, with a golf swing that may be the most pure in golf history, Mickey Wright wins the 14th US Womens Open

also...in 1971, 'Big Mama", JoAnne Carner wins the 26th US Womens Open

...send Joe a BD note...  

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Sat, Jun 28 2014 7:10 AM

June 28

1367 - Sigismund ~ German Emperor

1476 - Paul IV ~ Pope

1490 - Albrecht von Brandenburg ~ Monarch of Mainz (Mainzman?)

1491 - Henry VIII ~ King of England and one of the most charismatic rulars to sit on the English Throne. A big dude at 6'2", a lover of jousting & hunting not to mention chicks--Catherine of Aragon - Anne Boleyn - Jane Seymour - Anne of Cleves - Catherine Howard -Catherine Parr...just the wife chicks...and he loved to execute just about anyone who went to his dis-pleasure. Later on his waist balooned to 54" and so, fat, lustful, egotistical, harsh & insecure became his finer points

1577 - Peter Paul Rubens ~ Amazing Baroque Painter

1703 - John Wesley ~ English Christian Theologian

1712 - Jean Jacques Rosseau ~ 'Enlightenment' big gun & heavy hitter

1891 - Carl Panzram ~ American Serial Killer ---- in his own words, "In my lifetime I have murdered 21 human beings, I have committed thousands of burglaries, robberies, larcenies, arsons and, last but not in the least, I have committed sodomy on more than 1,000 male human beings. For all these things I am not in the least bit sorry". At Leavenworth Prison, on the gallows, his very last words in life were "hurry it up, you HOOSIER BA$TARD! I could have hanged a dozen men while you're screwing around!" ~~    bye,bye Carl

~ and, bye the bye ~

in 1461, Edward IV is crowned King of England

in 1635, The French Colony of Guadelupe is established in the Caribbean

and in 1748, A nasty riot after a public execution in Amsterdam goes to frenzy and 200+ yield up the ghost....very nasty

in 1762, 1st counterfeiting attempt, in good old Boston

in 1770, Quakers open a school for negros in Philly

then in 1778, Battle of Monmouth, NJ. Washington slaps the snot out of Clinton

and in 1778, "Molly Pitcher" (Mary Ludwig Hayes) aids American Patriots

in 1846, the Saxophone is patented by Antoine Joseph Sax ---- Kat's fav

in 1859, 1st Dog Show held at Newcastle-on-Tyne, England

in 1935, at spectacular Muirfield, Alf Perry wins the British 0pen, the 70th, with a 283

in 1953, the 8th US Womans Open belongs to Betsy Rawls

and strangely, in 1975 at the Western Open, Lee Trevino is struck by lightening ~ 0UCH!!

~ Peace ~

RSS