Forums

Help › Forums

Happy Birthday

Wed, Jul 1 2020 4:32 AM (1,330 replies)
  • TarheelsRule
    5,551 Posts
    Wed, Jun 11 2014 9:38 AM

I'm going with a playoff between Phil, Bubba Watson, Dustin Johnson, Rickie Fowler and Jordan Speith with Phil winning the 18 hold playoff by 1 stroke over the other four on a 25 foot birdie putt on the 18th hole from the same spot Payne Stewart made his par putt to beat Phil in 1999.  

Phil and Bubba both beak down in tears and immediately retire from golf.

• DaddysKat
    3,554 Posts
    Wed, Jun 11 2014 10:15 AM

One of my favorite "U.S. Open movies" about Francis Ouimet vs. Harry Vardon and Ted Ray in the 1913 U S Open.  Disney does a great job with this movie, and Shia LaBeouf (27 today) play's Francis Ouimet ... the eventual winner of the U. S. Open.

If you haven't seen the movie, give it a view ... a must see for us lovers of the greatest game on this planet!

TarheelsRule:
    I'm going with a playoff between Phil, Bubba Watson, Dustin Johnson, Rickie Fowler and Jordan Speith with Phil winning the 18 hold playoff by 1 stroke over the other four on a 25 foot birdie putt on the 18th hole from the same spot Payne Stewart made his par putt to beat Phil in 1999.

As for this year, I think Jordon Speith won't screw up in the final round and win.  I'd love to see Phil pull it off, but he just doesn't have the magic anymore.  Bubba is playing well and does have a good chance.  Ricky?  You've got to be kidding!  What a choke artist he is.  He may make the top 10 if he doesn't blow it early ... stranger things have happened!  DJ ... nah ... probably won't make the cut!

• ThreeSpot
    476 Posts
    Wed, Jun 11 2014 11:05 AM

I love Tarheel's scenario. I also like Rickie (and I think 25 might be just a wee bit young to be labeled  choke artist, ha ha). I'm also looking at Henrik Stenson, Hunter Mahan and Graeme McDowell. Of course, with this quality field, there are about 50 players that could have a good week and take it.

• DaddysKat
    3,554 Posts
    Wed, Jun 11 2014 11:10 AM

11 June,

Today's tributes:

• One of the greatest pianist of the 20th century, Hazel Scott (1920 - 1981)
    • Actor Gene Wilder is 80 today

Notables:

• NFL Hall of Fame coach Vince Lombardi (1913 - 1970)
    • NFL Hall of Fame quarterback for the greatest NFL team ever ... Joe Montana is 57
    • Singer Josh Ramsay is 28
    • Author Robert Munsch is 68
    • Scientist Jacques Cousteau (1910 - 1997)
    • Singer Chris Trousdale is 28
    • Jazz drummer Shelly Manne (1920 - 1984)
    • Race car driver Jean Alesi is 49
    • Journalist Greta Van Susteren is 59
    • Composer Carlisle Floyd is 87
    • Author William Styron (1925 - 2006)
    • Race car driver Jackie Stewart is 74

Actors/Actresses:

• Shia LaBeouf is 27
    • Hugh Laurie (House) is 54
    • Peter Dinklage is 44
    • Joshua Jackson is 35
    • Caroline Quentin is 53
    • Adrienne Barbeau is 68
    • Chad Everett (1937 - 2012)
    • Peter Bergman is 60
    • Connie Clausen (1923 - 1997)

Today's tribute videos:

To one of the greats in movie comedy, here's a tribute video to Gene Wilder (makes me want to see some of these movies) ...

And here's one from an extremely talented pianist.  At the age of 9, Hazel was offered a scholarship to The Juilliard School of Music.  In one of her youtube clips, Hazel plays two pianos in her clip Black & White are Beautiful.  I just liked this clip more.  Enjoy!

Have a wonderful Hump day, everyone!

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Wed, Jun 11 2014 11:21 AM

DaddysKat:
    ... stranger things have happened

Oh my yes...very sTrAnGe...I see Tiger, at the last second, utilizing the little known "Topsy-Turvy Clause" that originated in the mind of Edward Albee and his "Bye-Bye Adoption Service". It is for people who change their mind. I heard that Tiger, for old times sake, rounded-up some of his past flames and call girls (hoes), started playing the old stand-by, "spin the bottle", knocked it down with various positions and "BINGO !!" his back never felt better....swinging like '2000'....YOU DA' MAN 

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Thu, Jun 12 2014 9:07 AM

DaddysKat:

One of my favorite "U.S. Open movies" about Francis Ouimet vs. Harry Vardon and Ted Ray in the 1913 U S Open.  Disney does a great job with this movie, and Shia LaBeouf (27 today) play's Francis Ouimet ... the eventual winner of the U. S. Open.

Yes. I agree Kat, They did a good job with it.

June 12

1930 - Bobby Jones fires a 287 to win the 34th US Open at Interlachen CC

1937 - At Oakland Hills, with a 281 the 41st US Open belongs to Ralph Guldahl

1939 - In Philly, at Philadelphia CC "Lord" Byron Nelson rolls a snazzy 284 to claim the 43rd US Open

1948 - In beautiful Pacific Pallisades, California, in perfect weather, "The Wee Iceman", the best who ever played, Mr. Ben Hogan fires a "sizzling" 276 to become US Open Champion

Who will lead today, with what score?.....

• DaddysKat
    3,554 Posts
    Thu, Jun 12 2014 10:37 AM

12 June

Today's tributes:

• Actor (and singer too) ... is famous for his role as "Gomer" on the Andy Griffith show, then later as Gomer Pyle, U.S.M.C. (Semper Fi!)  Jim Nabors is 84 today.
    • newcomer to the CW genre, Chris Young is 29

Notables:

• Former US President George H. W. Bush is 90
    • Author Anne Frank (1929 - 1945)
    • Pianist Chick Corea is 73
    • Singer Robyn is 35
    • Singer Anna Margaret is 18
    • Singer Vic Damone is 86
    • Chick Hearn/Johnny Most never-be sportscaster Marv Albert is 73
    • Guitarist Kenny Wayne Shepherd is 37

Actors/Actresses:

• Dave Franco is 29
    • Broadway actress Ella Joyce is 60
    • Jason Mewes is 39
    • Tim Dekay is 51
    • Eamonn Walker is 52
    • Jenilee Harrison is 55
    • Ryan Malgarini is 21
    • Peter Jones (1920 - 2000)
    • David Thornton is 61
    • Rick Hoffman is 44

Tribute videos:

First off, the up-and-comer Chris Young ...

and now, a song fitting for all those playing in the US Open ... here's Jim Nabors ...

Have a nice weekend everyone ... go Jordan Speith!

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Thu, Jun 12 2014 8:39 PM

DaddysKat:
    At the age of 9, Hazel was offered a scholarship to The Juilliard School of Music.

She also has a great deal more than anything offered at Juilliard...what a dynamo !

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Fri, Jun 13 2014 8:19 AM

June 13

1953 - 53rd US Open at our own Oakmont CC is claimed with a 283 by Golf's Best of the Best ~ *Ben Hogan* (they say that the greens at Oakmont are the fastest on Earth)

1959 - Not far from Manhattan, Billy Casper smooths a classy 282 at the frightening masterpiece known as Winged Foot CC (the "Donald's" home course) and earns the 59th US Open

anyone else like Poulter this week ?

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Fri, Jun 13 2014 9:52 AM

June 13

823 - Charles II, the bald ~ King of France (was there a Charles II, the hairy?)

1786 - Winfield Scott - US Army General "old fuss 'n' feathers". A genuine rough, tough SOB, truly

1892 - Basil Rathbone ~ South African Actor and a fine Sherlock Holmes

1897 - Paavo Nurmi ~ Finlands amazing 5K runner who captured Olympic Gold in '20, '24 and '28

~ and, as everyone remembers ~

in 1774, Rhode Island (such a tiny place in land and mind) is 1st Colony to prohibit importation of slaves...

in 1789, Mrs. Alexander Hamilton, the former Elizabeth Schuyler, serves ice cream to George Washington for dessert.....(to me this is weird) why? Thanks to Thomas Jefferson, who brought to America via France, the first vanilla ice cream recipe, and thanks to whomever it was that made the ice cream for George, we instead remember who served it ? ( you can find the original recipe on line, I've made it twice, it takes time, it is the best.

in 1871, A Hurricane in Labrador blows 300 windless

Poulter   

RSS