Forums

Help › Forums

Happy Birthday

Wed, Jul 1 2020 4:32 AM (1,330 replies)
  • ThreeSpot
    476 Posts
    Wed, Jun 18 2014 1:35 PM

DaddysKat:

Okay  ... on to the extra credit question of the day ... Actor Richard Boone played in an old western series back in the 60's (might have been late 50's).  In this show, he carried a business card ... 

What was printed on the business card (name of the show), and what was the name of the character (it was printed on the card as well)!

Have Gun, Will Travel

Paladin

Sadly, at my age the odds of correctly answering a trivia question go way up if the subject person is deceased. :)

• DaddysKat
    3,554 Posts
    Wed, Jun 18 2014 2:52 PM

ThreeSpot:

Have Gun, Will Travel

Paladin

Sadly, at my age the odds of correctly answering a trivia question go way up if the subject person is deceased. :)

Very good job, Threespot!

I get this channel where I live, called "Antenna" ... they show all these old B&W shows.  They had "Have Gun Will Travel" on for the longest time ... now it's "Rawhide" and a very young Clint Eastwood.  I love "The Rifleman" with Chuck Conners.

I'm guessing Johnny Crawford (the boy Mark) has to be pushing 70 ... he's probably a grandpa by now!  

• ThreeSpot
    476 Posts
    Wed, Jun 18 2014 4:58 PM

Chuck Connors also starred in a series called Branded. This adapted version of the theme song was a popular schoolyard ditty in my youth.

Stranded!

Stranded on the toilet bowl!

What do you do when you're stranded

And you need another roll?

Well you know you're a man

So you...

And that's enough of that. Chuck Connors played major league baseball for a time as well.

• DaddysKat
    3,554 Posts
    Thu, Jun 19 2014 12:23 AM

ThreeSpot:

Stranded!

Stranded on the toilet bowl!

What do you do when you're stranded

And you need another roll?

Well you know you're a man

So you...

That explains quite a bit!  lmao!  I've always wondered why guys are so ... um ... gross!  lol.  You've had a lifetime of practice!

Chuck Connors ... what a hunk!  I doubt he was really that cool of a dad ... but he sure was good looking!  Prrrrrrrr!

Edit:   BTW ... didn't Paladin have "Wire San Francisco" prior to his name on the business card ... I think it was SFO.

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Thu, Jun 19 2014 8:04 AM

Yasch:

Today marks my One Year Anniversary here up on WGT.

A year ago was the VUSO @ Merion. I had just watched the pros have a go at this course, so I thought I would take a crack at it. YIKES...talk about baptism by fire! Playing from the tips and with Champ. speed greens, using starter equipment, I was out of my element very quickly. I played the course a few more times, not knowing that all those doubles, snowmen and others were being tabulated and kept on my rap sheet

My game has improved since then and I enjoy the challenges that each of the courses here offer. I didn't think I would ever get one of these shots, but it did happen.

replay.aspx?ID=5b3af6d1 a221 46c2 a9af a23a006b50bd 

I tend to read more in the forums then I respond to, and this particular thread , I check upon on a daily basis to see what new I can learn and perhaps what videos can entertain and/or inspire me.

Lily & Kat, keep up the great work!  Cheers! 

Yasch,

Gee Whiz ! Thank You. Very nice to hear. That was a swell Eagle at Kiawah # 15. So sweet there. It sets a nice tone to play #16 for a likely birdie and a hopeful strong finish at #17 & 18 to cap-off a sweet game.

June 19

1969 - My senior cousin, Lisa Kimberly M, of Huntington Beach, California ~ Happy 45

1301 - Prince Morikuni ~ Jap Shogun

1566 - James I Stuart ~ King of Scotland

1595 - Wladyslaw IV Jasa ~ King of Poland

1783 - Thomas Sully ~ US Portrait Painter

1834 - Edgar Degas ~ French Painter

1877 - Charles Coburn ~ a darn C00L Actor

1896 - Wallis Simpson ~ Duchess of Windsor - an American divorcee from Blue Ridge, Pennsylvania who becamw the wife of Edward VIII of England...quite the love story

1897 - Moe Howard {Moses Horowitz} ~ A Stooge from Brooklyn, NY

~ 0ther Things that showed up ~

well, in 987, Louis IV was Crowned King of France

then, in 1269, King Louis IX of France decrees all Jews must wear a badge of shame

in 1778, General Washington's troops finially leave Valley Forge in Penn

then in 1846, the First Baseball Game ~ the NY Nines - 23, the Knickerbockers - 1

plus in 1862, Slavery is outlawed in US Territories

in 1867, The 1st Belmont is claimed by "Ruthless"

in 1893, LiZZy B0rDOn is acquitted

and over at Prestwick Club in 1914, Harry Vardon wins the 54th British 0pen with 306

1954 - The 54th US Open at Baltusrol CC in NJ, belongs to Ed Furgol with a 284

1955 - 0ut in 'Frisco', Jack Fleck fires a 287 at our own Olympic CC ~ 55th US Open

1977 - Hubert Green goes "Okie"...77th US Open at breathtaking and beautiful Perry Maxwell designed treasure, Southern Hills Country Club in classy Tulsa, Oklahoma. His 278 makes him very happy...I have played there many times and it is a long, tough walk.

1994 - At 0ur beloved Oakmont, the 94th US Open belongs to Ernie Els ~ 279

Oh Boy, it is 2000, the real Tiger Woods shows up at US Open #100 and wins by 15 shots...15 ! Golf Played at the highest level...ever

and then in 2011, a very young, not shaving much youngster from Ireland wanders into the 111th US Open at our own Congressional CC, shaves a clean & tidy 268 and becomes Champion ~ Rory McElroy

I doubt anyone has noticed but I have been a bit spotty here because of necessary business commitments

~ Peace ~  

• DaddysKat
    3,554 Posts
    Fri, Jun 20 2014 1:09 PM

I've got to do a few belated's for the 19th ...

Singers Paula Abdul turned 52, Ann Wilson turned 64 and Guy Lombardo (1902 - 77).  Actors/Actresses Zoe Saldana - 36, Phylicia Rashad - 66, Kathleen Turner - 60; Robin Tunney - 42 and Poppy Montogomery - 39.

And now (for those north of the Equator) ... the last day of spring ... 20 June, 2014

Today's tributes:

• Singer Lionel Richie is 65
    • Bluegrass singer Dan Tyminski is 47

Notables:

• Beach Boys singer Brian Wilson is 72
    • Singer/Songwriter Chet Atkins (1924-2001)
    • Singer Grace Potter is 31
    • Singer Anne Murray is 69
    • Bassist John Taylor is 54
    • Bassist Michael Anthony is 60

Actors/Actresses:

• Nicole Kidman is 47
    • John Goodman is 62
    • Audie Murphy (1925 - 1971)
    • Danny Aiello is 81
    • Errol Flynn (1909 - 1959)
    • Josh Lucas is 43
    • Martin Landau is 86
    • John Mahoney is 74

Tribute Videos:

Here's the song I selected for Lionel Richie ...

And some of you might just recognize this song ... yep ... George Clooney was lip-singing ...

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Sat, Jun 21 2014 10:49 AM

Solstice ~ I wonder, as others, what Earth would be without the handy 23.5 degree tilt ~

June 21

1002 - Leo IX ~ Pope

1226 - King Boleslaus of Poland

1528 - Maria of Spain ~ Holy Roman Empire Empress

1596 - Michael Fjodorovitsj ~ Tsar of Russia

1851 - Daniel Beard ~ Organized 1st Boy Scout Camp

1882 - Rockwell Kent ~ Artist and a gem within it

1890 - Frank Land ~ De Moley Founder

~ Summer also brought...

in 1498, Jews are expelled from Nurenburg by Emperor Maximillian

in 1607, 1st Protestant Parrish is established in Jamestown

and in 1633. Galileo Galilei is forced to 'abjure, curse & detest' his Capernican heliocentric views

in 1734, in Montreal, a black slave known as Marie-Joseph Angelique is tortured & hanged with hand amputated for an arson fire that destroyed much of the city. It was a public ceremony

in 1749, Halifax, Nova Scotia is founded

And thankfully in 1788, The US Constitution goes into effect....it works when followed. When administered by rogues, it doesn't

And with suprize, in 1791, a fleeing Louis XVI & Family are captured in Varennes-en-Argonne....then things get really crummy...for them

in 1834, Cyrus McCormick patents reaping machine

in 1879, FW Woolworth opens 1st store...it fails at once, but, others to follow, don't

then in 1965 at Bellerive CC in St Louis, Gary Player rolls a 282 for the 65th US Open

in 1970. Brit, Tony Jacklin captures the 70th US Open at Hazeltine with a 281

in 1971, at our own beloved Merion GC. a fatherless grandson of a gravedigger wins the 71st US Open shooting 280. His name is Lee Trevino

in 1981 an Aussie, David Graham also tackles our Merion with a 273. It is US Open # 81

Then in 1987, back in 'Frisco at our Olympic Club, a nice yet colorless Scott Simpson runs with a 277 to win the 87th US OPEN

in 1992 a trek to lovely Carmel is golden for Tom Kite. He tees it up at 'almost' our Pebble Beach, and his 285 takes the 92nd US Open

then in 1998 we travel a little north back to 'Frisco'. 98th US Open at Oly...Lee Janzen wins with 280 whacks

~ Happy Summer ~

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Sun, Jun 22 2014 9:51 AM

~ Hello ~

June 22

1757 - George Vancouver ~ Surveyed Pacific Coast from 'Frisco' to Vancouver Island

1837 - Paul Murphy ~ Greatest Chess Player of all time

~ some other stuff ~

in 217 BC, Battle of Raphia: Ptolemy IV of Egypt wins; Antiochus of Soledom Kingdom has his butt handed to him

in 168 BC, Battle of Pydna: under Lucius Aemilus, Romans defeat & capture King Perseus of Macedonia

then in 1342, Bilbo Baggins returns to his home at Bag End (Shire Reckoning)

in 1377, Richard II succeeds Edward III as King of England

then in 1599, the Jewish quarter in Prague is burned & looted. Much good loot was discovered

in 1611, Henry Hudson is set adrift (ouch) in Hudson Bay by mutineers on his ship 'Discovery' and never seen again

then in 1740, King Frederik II of Prussia decides to end torture & guarantee religion and freedom of the press----whotta guy

in 1808, Zubulon Pike reaches his peak

plus, in 1812, Napoleon invades Russia----everything goes haywire

in 1844, the influential fraternity Delta Kappa Epsilon, is founded at Yale...ah yes, "Dekes"

and with amazement, in 1847, the Doughnut is created

then in 1851, a very naughty fire destroys part of 'Frisco'

in 1870, US Congress creates 'Department of Justice' which has morphed into a department of shame and tomfoolery

and in 1875, the Garonne Flood goes for big damage in Verdun & Toulouse and rough-houses about 1.000 non-swimmers

and with pleasure in 2009, Luke Glover parties at Beth with a 276 to become the 109th US Open Champion----this happens while WGT gives us Beth, from the tips, with starter balls & clubs and a 68 will qualify for our first WGT US Open, won by NASAgolfer

Enjoy the Ladies Today !  

• DaddysKat
    3,554 Posts
    Sun, Jun 22 2014 11:58 AM

22 June,

A very special birthday to PGA Golfer Dustin Johnson, who turns 30 today!

Today's tributes:

• One of the best CW songwriters of all time, Kris Kristofferson is 78 today
    • And another great songwriter ... Todd Rundgren is 66

Notables:

• singer Cindi Lauper is 61
    • shoulda been a 49'er ... retired NFL QB Kurt Warner is 43
    • author Dan Brown is 50
    • shoulda been a Laker ... NBA great Clyde "the glide" Drexler is 52
    • singer Yong-hwa Jung is 25
    • another shoulda for the Lakers .... NBA great "Pistol" Pete Maravich (1947-88)
    • Songwriter Amos Lee is 37 ... check out his tunes sometimes all.
    • Director Billy Wilder (1906 - 2002)
    • Director Stephen Chow is 52
    • Singer Alan Osmond is 44

Actors/Actresses:

• Merly Streep is 65
    • Lee Min-ho is 27
    • Carson Daly is 41
    • Freddie Prinze (1954-77)
    • Lindsay Wagner is 65
    • Bruce Campbell is 56
    • Donald Faison is 40
    • Ralph Waite (1928 - 2014)
    • Tim Russ is 58
    • Mary Lynn Rajskub is 43
    • Prunella Scales is 82
    • Amy Brennerman is 50
    • Joe Dempsie is 27
    • Tracy Pollan is 54

Tribute Videos ...

Being "Sunday" ... here's a song written by Kristofferson and made famous by Johnny Cash ...

And now, one of my favorite Todd Rundgren tunes ...

Have a great day, everyone!

• adeypa
    1,151 Posts
    Sun, Jun 22 2014 1:03 PM

DaddysKat:

• Songwriter Amos Lee is 37 ... check out his tunes sometimes all

Just did, and liked it, thanks Kat

RSS