Forums

Help › Forums

TOURNAMENT GREENS = INCONSISTENT

Tue, Jun 21 2011 6:02 PM (51 replies)
  • Mem11
    199 Posts
    Mon, Sep 6 2010 10:56 AM

What Ziggy said...

Here's what WGTniv had to say on the subject...

WGTniv:
    No, SD balls are no more or less influenced by the slope of the green.  Putting is the only place where the Spin and Distance benefits are ignored, so on the green a GI-SD will react the same way as the Starter Ball.  The only benefit on the green is the feel that slows down your meter.

Link

So if the different balls you're using are reacting differently on the greens, then that would be a problem.

• mefitz
    372 Posts
    Mon, Sep 6 2010 11:12 AM

I`ve also had too many putts come up short. Most of them have been in the 5-15ft range where I`ve hit it hard enough to easily go 3ft or more past the hole. Also, most of them have been with little or no elevation difference but, the ones with just the arrow pointing up without any number have been the worst. I can hit these with the full distance of power and be left 2-6inches short, and when I compensate for this with a foot more power (and miss :) ) they will go 5ft past the hole.

Hopefully WGT will tweak the greens this week to solve this...We`ve got enough work already adjusting to the new speed without it being this unpredictable ;-).

• PugsAce
    1,825 Posts
    Mon, Sep 6 2010 11:30 AM

I don't think "Inconsistent" is the word I'd choose to describe the tournament greens.

But ****** is a term that will surely get censored, so I'll just say this instead...

... "Amplified".

The downhill putts roll faster, and the uphill putts seem to "die" quicker. I find that if I look at my putts with this in mind (while taking everything else into consideration), the putts I take work out to be pretty consistent from hole to hole.

Also, I take into consideration (on the longer putts) that the initial velocity off the clubhead "negates" alot of the "ball-slowing effects" of an uphill slope until the ball actually begins to "roll" on the green. For example, on a 30ft putt, I'll usually "discount" the first 4-5ft, but on a much longer putt like a 60footer, I'll discount the first 8-10ft as "flight" rather than roll. This, of course, is if that initial "flight" is over an uphill slope that doesn't interfere too greatly with it.

On the longer putts, the ultimate "death" of the roll is really tough to judge, especially when there's a late break in its path, hence I tend to try to "putt through the hole" if there's substantial rise at and after the cup.

I've done this on the very fast greens, and have semi-successfully managed to apply it to the tourney greens. Hope I've explained it well enough.

• PugsAce
    1,825 Posts
    Mon, Sep 6 2010 11:40 AM

mefitz:

Also, most of them have been with little or no elevation difference but, the ones with just the arrow pointing up without any number have been the worst.  

I've always thought of an arrow [ ^ or V ] with no number to be "less than an inch". That could be 1/4"... or 15/16". Add these up over the path of a putt and you'll see why some drop, and some come-up short (or go long, for that matter).

Unless I was able to "place" a ball in exactly the same spot over a few tries, I would never be able to assume that a putt will react similarly even twice.

• Sargenjd01
    366 Posts
    Mon, Sep 6 2010 11:40 AM

Maybe I said it wrong. But I can play a G13 and on a flat surface of 5 feet it will go 5.5-6. With the SD 5 will get you 6-7 feet. 

• mefitz
    372 Posts
    Mon, Sep 6 2010 11:52 AM

Hi Pugs,

I understand and agree with you, as I look at the "trend" of the putt and not just the info given. The holes that come to mind first (in my example) are SA #1(front pin) and #11 (back pin), which as you know, are relatively flat with very little change or subtlety.

Also, as has been posted, these are putts that would (and Have gone in) go in on "very fast" greens but, are falling short with the Same amount of Power on "tournament" greens. :)

• Stryder1261
    931 Posts
    Mon, Sep 6 2010 12:28 PM

its not only the Tournament greens that are inconsistent but the very fast one's now are also for us new Masters !

seems like any putt outside of 5 foot dies inches short if hit online with correct power or constantly lips out which is getting very frustrating.

the ball also breaks right away off the putter face instead of moving forward some first making breaking putts virtually impossible.

I dont mind all the other new updates WGT has made but the Greenskeeper needs to be replaced, He, like the putting now $**K$ !!!

• PugsAce
    1,825 Posts
    Mon, Sep 6 2010 12:30 PM

mefitz:

Hi Pugs,

I understand and agree with you, as I look at the "trend" of the putt and not just the info given. The holes that come to mind first (in my example) are SA #1(front pin) and #11 (back pin), which as you know, are relatively flat with very little change or subtlety.

Also, as has been posted, these are putts that would (and Have gone in) go in on "very fast" greens but, are falling short with the Same amount of Power on "tournament" greens. :)

Sorry bro. I was trying to "tie-in" the arrows to the OP and the meaning of your post amongst the "different ball" posts hadn't sunk-in yet. lol... I'm thick at times. :/

To be honest with you, those pin locations on SA 1 & 11 have given me fits!

They're VERY deceptive, especially SA11 with its wavy ridges. Yes. I've found 10-15ft putts to "wander off" there, but I've always chalked it up to my not hitting the meter well, or that the "ridge" (to the left - looking from the tee) extends farther towards the cup than it looks.

SA 1 seems to run consistently down towards the burn, but yes... I've noticed a couple spots where there may be a slight rise that slows the putt. My fear of putting it into the burn slows it some, too, although there's a ridge there. lol I s'pose it depends where we're putting from.

Dunno... could be something to it. I never bothered to right-click bug-post those areas... I play mostly multi- and not much time to do it.

sry for the no-comprendo!  :)

• BolloxInBruges
    1,389 Posts
    Mon, Sep 6 2010 12:34 PM

Are you guys paying attention to the wind?  Wind effects are much more pronounced on faster greens.

• PugsAce
    1,825 Posts
    Mon, Sep 6 2010 12:42 PM

Only when it's over 20mph do I think about it.... well... that was before the tourney speed... maybe i oughta pay attention when it's 15mph now?

Good point.

RSS