Forums

Help › Forums

TOURNAMENT GREENS = INCONSISTENT

Tue, Jun 21 2011 6:02 PM (51 replies)
  • Spacklero
    386 Posts
    Wed, Sep 8 2010 11:45 AM

Thnx YJ - I'll be using this new info next time i make a putt :)

• Stryder1261
    931 Posts
    Wed, Sep 8 2010 2:22 PM

The wind effects putts????

I said that over a month ago in a post I wrote entitled No More $$$$ WGT !!!

and was told this, and I quote 

"If your thinking about wind on putts you have way more problems than missing short putts. JB"

Well then does it? or does it not affect putting???

just a simple yes or no will be sufficient !

• ironking34
    749 Posts
    Wed, Sep 8 2010 6:12 PM

Just had my first sub 30 round since the update....Yippee....of course it wasn't tournament greens....STA ready go back 9....shot a 29

• shakyjon
    87 Posts
    Thu, Sep 9 2010 2:41 AM

A good player who figured out the speed told me to play the tournament greens at 75% of the distance; that is, 75% after figuring in slope and then round up to the next foot.  So, for instance, if I have a 30 ft. putt going uphill 5 inches, I'm going to do this on my calculator... 30+5X0.75 which comes out to 26.25.  Therefore, after rounding up, I'm going to hit 27 feet.  As for the break, I can't tell you anything except it's more exaggerated given how much softer you have to hit the putt.

• DDLB
    3,441 Posts
    Thu, Sep 9 2010 3:14 AM

He's right and so are you but the greens are inconsistent. Just played BPB. 18th hole down hill putt 10 inches slow green. Cocked the putter 30 ft and the ball went 33 ft. Not possible even on the slow greens. Ended up  +1 for the game. Hate that when it's not my fault. 48-10x130% = 49.4 ft.

Based on that calculation are slow greens playing at 130% to leave you just past the hole?

• murducas
    65 Posts
    Tue, Sep 14 2010 5:16 PM

[]

• SHOOTTOTHRILL
    12 Posts
    Tue, Sep 14 2010 6:31 PM
    i have noticed that happening alot too..... bogey's i didn't deserve are not helpful.....
  • ironking34
    749 Posts
    Tue, Sep 14 2010 7:53 PM

I give up....what the F is up with these greens.....they break when it doesn't read break.  the ball stops short when you hit it hard enough....the balls rolls way pass the hole when you hit is perfect....No consistency at all....I've had more 3-5 yard miss since the upgrade than I did all year combined......One more thing......GIVE US A BETTER METER.....don't tell me it's my computer......IT'S THE METER.....FIX IT......

• TWOMINUSONE
    2,580 Posts
    Fri, Sep 24 2010 3:20 AM

Hi guys, just want to put put my piece in here.. Im at tour pro, and now realise i shouldnt have played on the tournament greens, as they are only suitable for masters or legends. I played kiawah full 18 ready go yesterday, and had an absolute nightmare. But my problem is this, on one of the greens i was 20ft from the hole on a flat surface, so i gave it about half the meter on the 30ft meter(15ft,ish) and looked on amazed as the ball went straight for the hole, only to make an 90 degree turn away, and end up about 12ft from the hole. On another par 3, with a 9 wind in the face, i just missed the middle of the meter by about 2mm, and the ball sailed way off to the left, about 40yds left of the hole. I wont be playing tournament greens again( lesson learnt). But it does seem there is a big flaw here. Hope this opens the eyes of other pro tour players before they decide to play these greens. Cheers.

• richdi
    3 Posts
    Fri, Sep 24 2010 6:33 AM
    Playing the tournament at St Andrews.. 13th hole, 30ft putt, everything from the ball moves left to right at slow speed so I aim approx 3ft to the right of the pin. As soon as I hit the ball it veers off sharply to the right and ends up about 6ft to the right of the pin????? This is not the only issue there are a few more irregularities. Hole 1, 91 yds to the pin wind behind, hit my wedge of 85yds.. landed in the creek around 77 yards??? really makes you feel like not bothering entering these tournies as its sooooooo frustrating!!!!!!!!!!!
RSS