Forums

Help › Forums

Chatting etiquette

rated by 0 users
Tue, Jan 21 2014 5:16 AM (24 replies)
  • BubbaSauce
    260 Posts
    Mon, Jan 20 2014 8:54 AM

We all know, out on a real golf course, talking while someone is playing a shot is bad etiquette. I was wondering, how do you all feel about "chatting" while someone is making a shot?

Not long after I started playing against other players, I got to thinking about it and I started waiting to "send" a message in the chat box until after another player has made their shot.

I felt like the visual distraction of a new message appearing in the chat box was somehow just as bad as talking on a real course, so I've decided to hold back.

What say you all?

I'm curious, because I don't really see anyone holding back. Maybe it's no big deal, but it's been on my mind for a while now.

• drmoose
    3,538 Posts
    Mon, Jan 20 2014 9:08 AM

Gotta agree with you Bubba, I too considered it to be distracting, and don't chat while a shot is being taken. Always thought it was some kind of "un-written" rule and to be honest, don't remember seeing much of it at all ( although I may have just tuned it out ).

Doc :)

• JasonNumber100
    2,908 Posts
    Mon, Jan 20 2014 9:48 AM

It's a good question.

I've been known to stop my swing when I've seen the flash of a message come up. It's usually somebody congratulating me or another player for getting a birdie on the previous hole.

However, there is always somebody about to play their shot, so when do you chat?

I have got use to focusing on my swing and ignoring the chat box until I've fnished my shot.

Nobody wants to distract another player.

• hobbe95
    812 Posts
    Mon, Jan 20 2014 9:53 AM

I never though of it. But i always wait to send til player has hit.

Never seen it happen to me when i lining up  a shot or i just might not notice:)

cheers

• BubbaSauce
    260 Posts
    Mon, Jan 20 2014 9:54 AM

JasonNumber100:

However, there is always somebody about to play their shot, so when do you chat?

I have got use to focusing on my swing and ignoring the chat box until I've fnished my shot.

I type my message and then wait for the player to swing, then I press ENTER or click SEND.

I don't always see messages pop up while I'm preparing for a shot, which is why I wondered if it was a real problem. I thought maybe most players aren't distracted by it so it's not an issue. On the other hand, I'm fairly new and was curious if it had become an unwritten rule, of sorts, or if it really was a non-issue.

• chuddlymccannon
    298 Posts
    Mon, Jan 20 2014 9:55 AM

I have to agree with everyone on this.  lol

The chatting is very fun on here.  But if u waited and are bad at typing, when do you chat.

But I see the point of the chat box blinking orange also.

I focus on the meter so much that during the actual shot it doesn't bother me.

Is the chat box worse than the bell that sound when your friends come and go though??

• BubbaSauce
    260 Posts
    Mon, Jan 20 2014 10:00 AM

chuddlymccannon:

Is the chat box worse than the bell that sound when your friends come and go though??

That's interesting. To preserve CPU cycles, I turn off sounds so I've never known that was an occurrence. But yeah, that would be a huge distraction for me.

Given the old rule of talking during somebody's shot, you'd think the programmers would silence such alarms during a game. Unless it's only coming from the browser window with your profile page. In that case, I'd never hear it there either because I close that window to preserve CPU cycles for my game window.

• JasonNumber100
    2,908 Posts
    Mon, Jan 20 2014 10:02 AM

A good point. The sound of that bell is more distracting.

• drmoose
    3,538 Posts
    Mon, Jan 20 2014 10:04 AM

JasonNumber100:

I try to post immediately after a shot has been taken, while the next player is doing his pre-shot calculations, and if I see he's about to shoot, I'll hold off 'til that shot has been made.

Doc :)

• WigerToods2010
    8,446 Posts
    Mon, Jan 20 2014 10:07 AM

Chatting is what makes this game more fun for myself. Totally understand where you are coming from re etiquette, 'Bubba'. 

I'm wondering if you've had a bad experience re chat and that's what prompted the original post?

I chat a lot during games and it's common for myself, during MP in particular, to be penalised a stroke for doing so. I do make a point of trying to type my message whilst the other player takes their shot and sending it straight away when it's my turn. 

When playing alt etc I suppose it can become more confusing, esp after a few beers and in the company of good friends.

What I will say is this though; if someone wants to complain about me distracting them by chatting then I can assure them it'll be the last time we play.

It's a fun game with the opportunity to 'meet' folks from around the globe. 

Happy hittin', folks.

RSS