Forums

Help › Forums

Chatting etiquette

rated by 0 users
Tue, Jan 21 2014 5:16 AM (24 replies)
  • BubbaSauce
    260 Posts
    Mon, Jan 20 2014 10:28 AM

I haven't had a bad experience. I'm just new so I want to conduct myself in a way that everyone expects.

I agree, the chatting is a fun part of the game. In fact, I've played a few rounds where I think we had more fun with the banter than with the golf ball.

I love cheering on my opponents. I love beating them too, but I just love competition.

I coached youth basketball for 10 yrs for the local YMCA and the atmosphere was always one of encouragement all around. I hated blow outs, either way. I loved the close games, even if we lost.

So, on WGT, when my opponent is bearing down on me or trying to stretch their lead, I'll be the first with a "Yeah!" when they make a clutch putt or stick one a couple of feet from the pin.

• Nikoshi365
    1,521 Posts
    Mon, Jan 20 2014 10:50 AM

Have to agree on the chatting part within reason

I personally write a reply or a congrats or whatever and send it after the next player has taken the shot so as not to effect any possible outcome

Also, however, I play a lot on skype, where we are chatting live all the time, and almost all my friends and opponents will all automatically be quite whilst preparing for and taking the shot

As for my local golf course, real golf live, it all depends if we are playing for fun or recording a HCP round or not. In competitions on my local week ends tournaments, etc. They bring you beer on a regular basis so sometimes after the 1st 9 its hard to stop talking :-)

Open to all I guess

• esty26
    425 Posts
    Mon, Jan 20 2014 10:55 AM

Interesting topic. I had never given it a second thought until recently. I have no problem with it,  never bothered me and never thought a line of text was much of a bother to anyone else either until......I joined a few others using teamspeak and was playing in an alt shot tournament. While my opponent is shooting I am blabbering on to my P about getting new clubs, totally oblivious to the fact this may be bothersome to the shooter. After taking the shot I hear a mumbled complaint about yammering about clubs while it is his shot. Light went off, I apologized and now I ask ahead of time if opponents need quiet on their shot or are ok with conversation.

Esty

• craigswan
    31,568 Posts
    Mon, Jan 20 2014 11:43 AM

When you are playing in a club competition or competitive match the secret is to wait until your opponent has about ten seconds left on his timer then ask him a question , talk about his mother or ridicule his favourite sports team .

Sure works for me but then maybe that is why I don't have any friends .

Seriously why cannot you delete your message once it is typed you have to send it . Spelling mistakes , bad grammar or just second thoughts it has got to go .

• bigdaddie1
    2,694 Posts
    Mon, Jan 20 2014 11:49 AM

WigerToods2010:

Chatting is what makes this game more fun for myself. Totally understand where you are coming from re etiquette, 'Bubba'. 

I'm wondering if you've had a bad experience re chat and that's what prompted the original post?

I chat a lot during games and it's common for myself, during MP in particular, to be penalised a stroke for doing so. I do make a point of trying to type my message whilst the other player takes their shot and sending it straight away when it's my turn. 

When playing alt etc I suppose it can become more confusing, esp after a few beers and in the company of good friends.

What I will say is this though; if someone wants to complain about me distracting them by chatting then I can assure them it'll be the last time we play.

It's a fun game with the opportunity to 'meet' folks from around the globe. 

Happy hittin', folks.

100% agree--no chat, no me

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Mon, Jan 20 2014 12:07 PM

JasonNumber100:
    The sound of that bell is more distracting.

You can turn it off and still have the game sounds. The option in the game settings turns off the music, that bell and the heartbeat in CTTH's but leaves the game sounds alone. I've never heard the bell because the music leaves something to be desired and is off.  :-)

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Mon, Jan 20 2014 12:19 PM

I'll tell ya what stumps me...when did mindless blabber get upgraded to chatting etiquette?

• bigdaddie1
    2,694 Posts
    Mon, Jan 20 2014 12:49 PM

It's a fecking fourm, not an English classroom. pfhttt

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Mon, Jan 20 2014 1:33 PM

bigdaddie1:

LOL. Little off target there, BD, this is about the game chat and whether or not it's cool to be yakking away while the other player shoots. ;-)

• bigdaddie1
    2,694 Posts
    Mon, Jan 20 2014 2:06 PM

YankeeJim:

bigdaddie1:

LOL. Little off target there, BD, this is about the game chat and whether or not it's cool to be yakking away while the other player shoots. ;-)

SOZ Jim, I used wrong post LOL

RSS