Forums

Help › Forums

Some thoughts from a noob

rated by 0 users
Fri, Sep 17 2010 2:49 PM (36 replies)
  • YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, Sep 15 2010 10:01 AM

How does it make up for the difference in tees when both players have the exact same equipment? Does the Legend get the strokes or does the need for tiers disappear?

• Crazyman2
    731 Posts
    Wed, Sep 15 2010 10:09 AM

There is no need for tiers as the handicap system allows  for players abilities regardless what tees or other conditions apply.  If you go to your local golf course and play against the club champion (playing off 2) and you are using the same the exact same clubs  and exact same tees.  you would be allowed to use your handicap be it 5 , 12, 18  whatever.     No difference needs to be applied here either. (providing the handicap system is used properly) 

If you read  my post  it says "There is no need for tee adjustments  or green conditions.  All players will tee off from same tee  , all will  play same green speed."

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, Sep 15 2010 10:46 AM

Well in the absence of that happening the end result of the present system seems to be leveling out the competition. TMs that regularly beat Legends will soon be Legends and TMs such as myself will win some and lose more.

Going to your local course works because of the size. Throw a million  members at the club and you might see what the small WGT staff would be looking at just to implement it. Add a bunch of quitters, baggers, ego maniacs, etc. to the mix and it becomes fruitless.

I think, now that the dust has settled and players are dealing with it, it's beginning to make sense.

• Crazyman2
    731 Posts
    Wed, Sep 15 2010 10:52 AM

Has nothing to do with size.  doesn't matter if  its  several million.  The database  does the work  not the limited staff at WGT,   As regards  quitters  etc etc    obviously  you do not comprehend  what a "proper" handicap system does.

The local golf course was used to simplify the explanation, obviously  it wasn't simple enough!

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, Sep 15 2010 11:55 AM

Let me dumb it down for you. You can manipulate this system, you can't manipulate real life at a golf club with real people watching/playing. 

Simple enough for you?

• Crazyman2
    731 Posts
    Wed, Sep 15 2010 12:03 PM

Listen  "Mr dumb"- it down..  you have no idea  what you are talking about.   You have no comprehension at all regarding how  the system could and perhaps should be applied . Try learning something BEFORE attempting to "stir things up"    The system can be made safe  in an EASY way    it THAT simple enough for YOU  -   now  go back to trolling the rest of the forum with your inane comments. 

This system as per real golf CAN be and IS applied by people that DO KNOW what they are doing.  

• Pangaea
    242 Posts
    Wed, Sep 15 2010 12:13 PM

Exactly how would this system work? You mention you use this in your country club, how have you done things there?

If it's based on something akin to 10/14 ranked rounds, I can see a big risk of manipulating the system through sandbagging. But I'd be interested to hear how you've dealt with that :)

• Crazyman2
    731 Posts
    Wed, Sep 15 2010 12:22 PM

It has nothing to do with the American Slope system (As that is subject to all sorts of abuse - especially sandbagging)  It is official LICENCED software  as used  for over a century by 95% of professional european clubs .  It is the recognised leader .  We don't just use it in the CC  we use it in all our seasonal comps  including  Stableford. Strokeplay, matchplay  and any other well known "real" golf format.  And  YES  it works  EXACTLY  like it should.    Just ask any of  the members    By the way  we dont get quitters, sandbaggers  or  anything like it. Why?  because  the system prevents it.    But why not ask  the "know it all"  I am sure  he  has  an answer in an  to attempt to ridicule it  (perhaps  not the correct one  but an answer all the same)  lol

• Fata
    116 Posts
    Wed, Sep 15 2010 12:23 PM

CM can explain the ins and outs of it but it works.   I have played numerous rounds with players far better than I am and occasionly I can beat them.   If they are a little off their game and I'm really on mine the handicap can put me over the top.  Most of the time they are too consistent for me to pull that off but hey I have a outside chance now wheras before I had zilch.

• Pangaea
    242 Posts
    Wed, Sep 15 2010 12:26 PM

Okay. I don't know how that works, that's why I asked. WGT have said they are testing a handicap system internally, so we can only hope it works as well as it does for you. Maybe shoot them an email explaining it would increase the chances of them implementing it. Worth a try at least.

RSS