Forums

Help › Forums

OH MY GOODNESS

rated by 0 users
Wed, Jan 29 2014 8:09 AM (5 replies)
  • renniw52
    5,385 Posts
    Tue, Jan 28 2014 1:25 PM

Atlanta, Georgia is at a total standstill due to 2 inches of snow. My family up in NW Pennsylvania have got be dying of laughter. I have been watching the news for hours, hundreds of cars stuck, wrecked, run out of gas. The cell phone networks are peaked out. Emergency vehicles can not get to the 911 calls. Why can't people heed the warnings they were given up to 48 hours in advance and stay the hell home. Grocery stores are out of bread and milk. And it's going to be in the high 60's this weekend. They'll all be at the car washes shining their rides, the ones they haven't piled up at least.

• ScottHope
    10,361 Posts
    Tue, Jan 28 2014 2:06 PM

Reminds me of what we're like here in the UK, any sign of a puddle, wet leaf, snowflake or breath of wind and the weather forecasters are chucking out warnings like they're going out of fashion, lol.

• navigater
    1,319 Posts
    Tue, Jan 28 2014 2:17 PM

Lol when I was in 29 Palms calif.(High desert).I was the only one getting around in the whole town.2 inchs of snow shut it down

• renniw52
    5,385 Posts
    Wed, Jan 29 2014 6:15 AM

Watching the news this morning. Not funny at all for thousands of people still stuck on the highways. Students sleeping in schools. People are sleeping in the Home Depot. The wind chill in Atlanta is -2F. Some people have been in their cars for 14 hours or more. I would go out in my old 4x4 to help, but you can't get any place to even try. Back in the early 80's when this happened we had 8 inches of snow. A friend and I spent 48 hours pulling people out of ditches, had hot coffee and cocoa, wife baked cookies by the dozens to give to people. The doors at my house were open to anyone who wanted to come in. 

• garyk49
    2,329 Posts
    Wed, Jan 29 2014 7:05 AM

Put the blame on the weather people.  I live about 50 south of Atlanta, we were supposed to get the most out of this storm according to them.  Guess what, they got more then I did.  Maybe have 1.5 to 2 here and snow didn't start until about 5pm.

Had been spitting freezing rain and sleet all day.

Commute in that area is a nightmare on a normal day, let alone add this to it.  Started snowing and then they let the kids out of school.  Had bosses not let people stay home, NOW, oh crap, get out of here.  All at once on the roads.  Trucks now couldn't get to the roads to de-ice, as it was refreezing.

Sure am glad I am on my 3rd week of retirement.  Don't have to put up with that crap anymore.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, Jan 29 2014 8:09 AM

renniw52:
    Atlanta, Georgia is at a total standstill due to 2 inches of snow.

The year I lived down there saw 4" of sleet show up on a Sunday afternoon. It took 2 days for the city to get going again. Atlanta's not flat and nothing was going uphill.  

Heh, 2" now is a nuisance here.  LOL

RSS