Forums

Help › Forums

Bethpage no.15.

Sun, Sep 12 2010 3:36 AM (12 replies)
  • PAGES
  • tiffer67
    1,764 Posts
    Tue, Sep 7 2010 4:33 PM

Has anyone noticed that this notoriously difficult hole is playing a bit easier since the tier changes? The last 4 occasions I have played this hole with the pin on the bottom level my second shot has landed and stayed on the green not 12 feet away. Yesterday I was playing in a 3 ball with 2 other legends and all 3 of us hit the green, something I have never seen before. Has anyone noticed if the yardage on this hole has reduced, as I seem to be hitting in a 6 iron every time recently?

• Kobalt46
    276 Posts
    Tue, Sep 7 2010 5:13 PM

Yes  Tiff  it was reduced....The couple times i played there  i was able to birdie twice  and par once

• Pangaea
    242 Posts
    Tue, Sep 7 2010 10:25 PM

Not so for me. I got in on my 3rd shot, 4 feet from the pin. Then 3-putted. Such crazy slopes there I need to be able to fart it in to one-putt.

• birdwell
    561 Posts
    Tue, Sep 7 2010 11:22 PM

There are some holes that are shorter from off the tee from the Black/Championship tees.

#15 is one of them. #7 on BPB is the other, but it's simply a different angle - still plays roughly the same.

At Kiawah holes #2 and #3 are shorter for the Legends. But not by much, and the angle to the fairway is very different.

Had a birdie putt on #15 the other day, tourney greens, was below the hole. I missed the meter right and my ball rolls by the hole on the right, and seems to stop just above the hole about 1.5 feet away.... but the next load did not change... it started moving! slowly....

"go go go go go go go!" I shouted

It took about 15 seconds, but sure enough. BIRDIE!

my challenger, and myself were simply stunned! He also went on to make birdie, but he actually made a solid putt!

One of these days, someone will have an uphill putt there and lip it out, throwing the ball above the hole where it rolls back down.... and LIPS OUT AGAIN!

(I hope that's not me - had this happen on TWO back when I played that beta for a bit)

• zagraniczniak
    1,984 Posts
    Wed, Sep 8 2010 12:08 AM

Is it a question of reaching the green (which used to be +2 or 3 clubs), or stopping the ball on the green?

• BrianBarnes
    1 Posts
    Wed, Sep 8 2010 1:56 AM

Hi folks,

Newbie here only been playing for the last 2 weeks, now addicted same as the real thing.

Don´t know about 15 on bethpage but can you tell me about hole 7 on beth page 489 yards and only a par4. obviously with my starter plus  clubs I have no chance of green in 2.

Is it a mistake and should be 5 or is it a question of the site forcing me to buy clubs to have any chance ??

A Scot now in Spain but loved the Englishman who played for Scotland Brian Barnes, never forget him playing with a can of beer in one hand and cigar in the other live on the bbc.. ahhhh those were the days.

• tiffer67
    1,764 Posts
    Wed, Sep 8 2010 10:32 AM

Kobalt46:

Yes  Tiff  it was reduced....The couple times i played there  i was able to birdie twice  and par once

Lol, you're just showing off now Mike. I've yet to hole one :^(

• zagraniczniak
    1,984 Posts
    Wed, Sep 8 2010 11:22 AM

BrianBarnes:

hole 7 on beth page 489 yards and only a par4. obviously with my starter plus  clubs I have no chance of green in 2.

Is it a mistake and should be 5

Welcome.

My understanding is that in real life it is normally a par 5 but it was made a 4 for the US Open, which was the basis for the WGT version. (Oakmont 9 is the same story.) Sometimes it's reachable, but otherwise you play it for par (4). Generally just not a birdie hole.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, Sep 8 2010 11:29 AM

BrianBarnes:
    Is it a mistake and should be 5 or is it a question of the site forcing me to buy clubs to have any chance ??

Neither, BB, the hole is just plain tough. If the pin is on the right guarded by that trap forget the birdie. If it's to the left and back sometimes, with the right wind and a good drive, you can roll onto the green with your fairway wood for a birdie try. I don't think you can do this with starters.  GL

• TheZiggy
    550 Posts
    Wed, Sep 8 2010 1:28 PM

Hole 7 on BB is just plain difficult. At one time it would have most definitely been a par 5, but the modern players are hitting the ball so much further these days, it was changed to be par 4. It's happened on quite a few courses, which is why they're not all set with par being 72. At St Andrews they've been lucky enough to be able to extend some of the holes, so it's not been necessary to change the par.

On BB #7 I've been lucky enough once to make a perfect drive, and then get a sweet roll right up to the pin with a 3 wood, to give me a birdie. However most of the time it's about making sure you give yourself a sensible option with the 3rd shot, to make sure you can save par.

• PAGES
RSS