Forums

Help › Forums

Bethpage no.15.

Sun, Sep 12 2010 3:36 AM (12 replies)
  • PAGES
  • BriRock
    148 Posts
    Sat, Sep 11 2010 2:26 PM

You should all be happy you get to play it under these types of circumstances...try playing that place in real life...i lost two balls on # 15  just hitting in the regular rough, not even the tall stuff...just couldn't find them...i would take a bogey on that hole any day...granted we had to "play from where the pros" played and go back to the back tees...but i still broke 100...and im an 8 handicap...perhaps next time we wont sleep in our cars in the parking lot the night before, and drink till 3...then get woken up  at 5  to get the very first tee time.

• borntobesting
    9,686 Posts
    Sat, Sep 11 2010 5:10 PM

TheZiggy:

Hole 7 on BB is just plain difficult. At one time it would have most definitely been a par 5, but the modern players are hitting the ball so much further these days, it was changed to be par 4. It's happened on quite a few courses, which is why they're not all set with par being 72. At St Andrews they've been lucky enough to be able to extend some of the holes, so it's not been necessary to change the par.

On BB #7 I've been lucky enough once to make a perfect drive, and then get a sweet roll right up to the pin with a 3 wood, to give me a birdie. However most of the time it's about making sure you give yourself a sensible option with the 3rd shot, to make sure you can save par.

For the members of BPB # 7 is a short par 5. When they played the U.S. Open there the USGA made it a par 4. WGT plays it as a par 4 because BPB was opened last year for the first virtual open .Played as an open course # 7 is a par 4.

• Badputter
    22 Posts
    Sun, Sep 12 2010 3:36 AM

In the recent changes I've been moved into Master. (tried for ages before and got close but no cigar)

Previously, my big complaint about Bethpage was not being able to reach greens in regulation even with the best clubs available at my level.

Just bought a Master level driver and 3 wood, hit 2 'excellents', and rolled off the green at the back, (admittedly with a 10mph wind behind for the approach.)

In other words, it would seem that the recent changes have made things a bit fairer at the new Master level. If WGT haven't done this for other levels, it's a real shame and a good opportunity missed.

All greens should be reachable in regulation - it ought to be one of WGT's terms of reference.

PS - only trouble now is that all the greens seem faster at this level, so I'm having to come to terms with that now instead.

PPS if you're going to point out that I had to buy new clubs and WGT are milking me etc etc.... I know. But it's my money, not yours, so let it go.

• PAGES
RSS